Amid scandal, China military hospital closes doors to new patients
A Chinese military hospital, embroiled in a scandal over the death of a college student who had sought experimental cancer treatment at the facility, has temporarily closed its doors to new patients, state media reported on Wednesday.
The Second Hospital of Beijing Armed Police Corps has stopped new admissions, the state-run People’s Daily said in a post on its official microblog, a day after the health ministry launched an investigation into the hospital.
The student, Wei Zexi, 21, died last month of a rare form of cancer. He had gone to the hospital for treatment after finding information about it on the domestic search engine Baidu Inc, which is also being probed over the case.
“Due to the hospital undergoing education and rectification, we will from today temporarily suspend all external services,” the hospital said in a notice posted by the People’s Daily. This included emergency care, outpatient and inpatient services. Read More