Apartment gutted after dehumidifier catches fire
The owner of the Aberdeen flat said she had turned on the device before going to bed, but fire broke out around 4am; no injuries were reported
Firefighters evacuated around 200 people after a dehumidifier caught fire in an apartment in a public housing estate in Aberdeen, southern Hong Kong Island, early on Thursday.
The blaze broke out around 4am on the balcony of a 10th-floor apartment in Lei Chak House at Ap Lei Chau Estate, Sing Tao Daily reported.
The owner of the apartment said she had turned on the dehumidifier to dry some clothes before going to bed. When one of her children woke up at 4am, she saw smoke coming from the balcony and realized that the dehumidifier was on fire, burning clothes that were hanging nearby, Apple Daily reported.
The woman immediately woke up her family and called the police.
Firemen put out the blaze in 25 minutes after evacuating around 200 people to an open area.
No one was reported injured but the woman’s apartment was gutted.
It was the fourth fire caused by a dehumidifier in Hong Kong in three months.