Boy, 4, falls out of apartment window without metal grill
Boy badly injured after losing his balance and falling out of a window, which had no metal safety grill; his father was later charged with neglect
A four-year-old Indian boy was rushed to hospital after falling out of a window in a third-floor flat on Hong Kong Island on Thursday afternoon.
The boy, who lives with family in an apartment on the third floor of a tenement house in Tang Lung Street in Causeway Bay, was found at 1pm on a podium on the first floor with serious injuries, Oriental Daily reported.
The young boy reportedly lost his balance and fell out of the window, which had no metal safety grill.
The boy’s father, 34, discovered the accident and ran to the podium. He found his son lying unconscious and immediately held him up and wanted to jump from the four-meter podium to the ground but stopped after pedestrians shouted “Don’t jump!”, according to a video clip taken by a witness, Apple Daily reported.
Paramedics arrived shortly after and took the boy to hospital. He was in a critical condition.
Police arrested the father for alleged neglect by someone in charge of a child or young person, but released him later after further inquiries.
Meanwhile, a doctor advised that if someone has fallen from a high position, people should try and keep them as still as possible and not rush to move them, as that could further injure an injured spine or neck.