Brussels attack: Suspect cornered in new video

April 7, 2016 1:24 PM (UTC+8)

 

Belgian prosecutors released new footage showing the so-called man in white behind the Brussels Airport bombing along with the route he took after leaving the area. They have appealed for public help in tracing his escape from the scene of the attack. This footage shows the suspect briefly running amongst passengers as they try to escape the scene at the airport, before walking some 10km over a two-hour period. He was last seen about 40 minutes after the Maelbeek metro bombing.

According to the officials, the suspect was wearing a hat and a light-coloured jacket, as he was tracked on CCTV footage until 09:50 local time. His path was lost close to the EU institutions in Brussels’ city centre, not far from Maelbeek metro station. Prosecutors said he had discarded the jacket, and have asked the public to report if it has been found. Named as the “man with the hat”, he was captured pushing a trolley at Brussels airport next to the two suicide bombers in previously released CCTV footage. The attacks on Brussels airport and the Maelbeek metro station by the so-called Islamic State (IS) killed 32 people. Three attackers are believed to have targeted the airport, with two dying in the bomb blasts. Another died in the metro attack.

Federal prosecutor’s spokesman Eric Van der Sypt said that authorities were especially appealing to people who might have filmed or photographed the man, and said the discarded jacket could also yield clues to the March 22 atrocity. Earlier video of the suspect at the airport showed him wearing a dark hat and glasses while pushing a luggage cart loaded with a black bag.

Comments