Deputy PM wants doors closed to Malaysians who joined Islamic State
(From The Malay Mail Online)
132 Malaysians known to have fought for the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group should not be allowed to return, Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said Saturday.
The deputy prime minister said such individuals would be a threat to the country’s peace and harmony if they re-enter the country.
“We are working together with Interpol to track them down and if they like to stay in other places, let them stay there,” he said at a Chinese New Year’s open house organised by Kuching South City Council here today.
Ahmad Zahid, who is also home minister, did not elaborate on what steps would be taken to prevent them from returning.
He explained that the murderous IS was a contradiction to Islam, which he said was a religion of peace and love.
Law enforcement authorities previously said that Malaysians who left to engage in militant activities including fighting for the IS would be arrested upon arrival using the various security laws at their disposal.
Security experts have questioned the strategy, however, pointing out Malaysia’s porous borders.
The IS is classified as a terrorist organisation by Putrajaya.