Fifteen dead after two boats capsize in Indonesia
Indonesian authorities were deployed to search for survivors after separate accidents off Makassar in Sulawezi and Palembang, off southern Sumatra
At least 15 people were killed, dozens missing after two boats sank in Indonesia on Wednesday.
Thirteen people died after a longboat carrying 43 people sank off Makassar on Sulawesi Island, while two people died when a speedboat carrying 30 people sank off south Sumatra, Reuters reported.
Twenty-two people had been rescued in Makassar but dozens are still missing. Indonesian authorities, the police and military were deployed to the area to search for survivors.
Toto Mulyono, a member of the Palembang search and rescue office in South Sumatra, said the search is still ongoing.
“We still do not have clarity on how many survived,” Mulyono said.
In Indonesia, accidents at sea are very common especially during the Islamic holiday of Eid. Many Indonesians travel to their hometowns by land, sea and air after the holy fasting month of Ramadan.