Fugitive from Paris attacks arrested in Brussels shootout: Prosecutor
The most-wanted fugitive from November’s Paris attacks was arrested after a shootout with police in Brussels on Friday, the Belgian federal prosecutor’s office said.
Local media reported that Salah Abdeslam, the 26-year-old French suspect, was wounded in the operation as EU leaders met on the other side of the city to discuss Europe’s migration crisis.
Television footage showed armed security forces dragging a man with a sack on his head out of a building and into a car.
“We got him,” Belgium’s Secretary of State for Asylum and Migration, Theo Francken, said on Twitter.
Several bursts of gunfire rang out earlier in the capital’s Molenbeek area – the scene of past investigations into the Paris attacks – and police officers were seen surrounding an apartment block there from around 4 p.m. (1500 GMT).
French President Francois Hollande and Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel left the EU summit to discuss the operation, officials said.
Two explosions were heard after the arrest, though it was unclear whether they were part of a new operation or the clear-up.
Media reported two people had been arrested, a third suspect may have been involved and Abdeslam had been shot in the leg, though there were conflicting accounts. Read more