Gas explosion in kitchen leaves woman with severe injuries
The 23-year-old Vietnamese had just turned on a stove to cook breakfast
A Vietnamese woman suffered severe burns in a gas explosion as she was about to cook breakfast at a house in Taichung, central Taiwan.
The 23-year-old, with the surname Tran, sustained second-degree burns to at least 50% of her body in Sunday’s blast, but was conscious when she was taken to hospital. Two other Vietnamese were in the house at the time, but escaped with only minor injuries.
Initial reports suggest that gas was leaking in the kitchen at the brick house on Lane 57 of Chunan Road in Nantun District, and it ignited when Tran turned on the stove at 5:58am, the Liberty Times reported.
Fifteen fire engines and 47 firefighters were dispatched to the scene, and the fire was put out after about 30 minutes.