Hong Kong man set his flat on fire in failed suicide bid
Preliminary investigations show that a gas pipe connecting to a kitchen stove was maliciously damaged.
A fire along with several explosions broke out in a public housing unit in Yau Tong of the southeastern end of Kowloon, forcing more than 200 residents to evacuate the building.
At 1:16 p.m. on Tuesday, a flat on the 15th floor of Fu Tong House of Yau Tong Estate was seen on fire, with dense smoke pouring from windows. Several explosions were also heard, Apple Daily reported.
Firefighters arrived at the scene and put out the blaze in 20 minutes.
According to Oriental Daily, the owner, named only as Lam, 60, sustained facial burns but remained conscious and stable. He was later referred to the Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin for burn treatment.
Preliminary investigations indicate the gas pipe connecting to a kitchen stove was maliciously damaged, and a suicide note by the owner was found.
Lam was arrested by the police for arson and attempted suicide.