Indonesian maid burned after gas leaks in kitchen
The caregiver suffered burns on her face, arms and legs when she turned off the gas and put out the fire
An Indonesian domestic caregiver in Nantou county, central Taiwan, was injured by a small stove fire on Monday morning that was caused by a gas leak in the kitchen where she was cooking breakfast for her elderly employer.
At 9am, while the maid was cooking rice porridge in the kitchen of the house on Jiazheng 1st Lane in the town of Zhushan, she reportedly heard a hissing sound near a gas line, The Liberty Times reported.
All of a sudden, a blaze and a small explosion broke out from the stove. The maid suffered burns on her face, arms and legs when she turned off the gas and put out the fire.
Her employer tried to treat her maid’s wounds with burn ointment. However, she was still in pain and so was taken to Chu Shang Show Chwan Hospital by paramedics.
A preliminary investigation by Jushan station of the Nantou County Fire Department suggested that the fire was caused by gas leaks from aging pipes.
Citizens are advised to check gas pipes in their homes regularly and maintain them in good condition.