Maid suffers burns to face and hand after fire in kitchen
Domestic worker taken to hospital for treatment after oil catches fire while she was cooking a meal in her employer's apartment
A maid was hospitalized after suffering burns to her face and hand after a fire broke out in the kitchen of an apartment on Hong Kong Island on Sunday night.
The domestic worker, whose age and nationality were not disclosed, was cooking in the apartment kitchen in Lu Shan Mansion in Taikoo Shing when some oil caught fire, the Apple Daily reported.
The maid was burned on the face and left hand and her employer immediately called police and firemen, the Sing Tao Daily reported. However, the fire had been extinguished when firemen arrived.
Paramedics put a bandage on the woman’s face and hand before sending her to hospital for further treatment. According to the Fire Service Department’s website, when oil catches fire domestic workers are advised to turn off the stove and cover the pot with a metal lid if possible. The department advises not moving the pot or pouring water directly on the burning oil as the water can cause the oil to splash and spread the fire.