Missing Filipina confirmed dead in Hualien earthquake
Her employer Shumin Okubo, 63, held back her tears as she told the media that Melody Castro was an angel to them; she is the 10th victim to date
A 28-year-old Filipina missing since a major earthquake hit Hualien in Taiwan late on Tuesday has been confirmed as dead.
The body of Melody Albano Castro, who took care of an elderly couple, was found at about 6pm on Thursday, the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO) said on Thursday night.
Her body was underneath a collapsed wardrobe in the bedroom of her employers’ home on the seventh floor of a 12-storey residential block, which has been leaning at a 45-degree angle since the 6.4 magnitude quake, Taiwan Apple Daily reported.
Castro came from Abulug in Cagayan. She was identified as the tenth victim killed by the earthquake.
Shumin Okubo, her 63-year-old employer wife, held back her tears as she told the media that Melody was a very nice carer – “an angel” to them.
According to a report by InterAksyon.com, an online news portal of TV5, a television and radio broadcasting network in Mandaluyong in the Philippines, said the Filipina’s next of kin had been informed, MECO chairman Lito Banayo said in a television interview.