More than 60% of illegal migrants are Vietnamese
There were 661 cases of missing migrant workers in Tainan, 62% of them factory workers and the remaining 38% domestic workers
More than 600 migrant workers reportedly ran away from their employers and became illegal migrants in Taiwan during the first six months of this year, the Tainan City Government announced on Tuesday.
According to the Labor Affairs Bureau of the Tainan City Government, there were 661 cases of missing migrant workers, 62% of whom were factory workers and the remaining 38% domestic workers, from the beginning of January until the end of June this year, the China Daily News reported.
Nationality wise, 62% of the runaways were Vietnamese.
The report said when employers found their foreign employees missing, they mostly sought help from the employment agencies or their nearby police precinct.
The bureau, however, said employers are liable for violating the Employment Services Acts if they fail to notify in writing their local branch of the Labor Affairs Bureau, National Immigration Agency, Police Bureau and the Ministry of Labor that their employees are missing on the third day of the disappearance.
If the authorities fail to locate the missing individuals in the following three months, the employer can file new application for a new foreign worker as a replacement.