Koreas | North Korea rules out nuclear talks resumption, says official

North Korea rules out nuclear talks resumption, says official

June 23, 2016 8:20 AM (UTC+8)

 

(From AFP)

North Korea has “no thoughts” of resuming six-party talks on its nuclear program, a top Pyongyang official said on Thursday in Beijing, despite the repeated requests of its closest ally China.

North Korean Talks Deputy Representative Choe Son Hui (centre) speaks to the media at the gates of North Korea's Embassy in Beijing on Thursday
North Korean Talks Deputy Representative Choe Son Hui (centre) speaks to the media at the gates of North Korea’s Embassy in Beijing on Thursday

The North quit the now-stalled negotiations aimed at curbing its nuclear weapons program in 2009, and soon afterward carried out its second atomic test. The talks are hosted by China, and include South Korea, the United States, Russia, and Japan.

Beijing, the North’s main diplomatic protector and economic benefactor, wants to revive negotiations, although Washington, Seoul and Tokyo all insist Pyongyang — which carried out two missile launches earlier this week — must first take some tangible step toward denuclearization.

Choe Son-Hui, deputy director-general of the North American affairs bureau in North Korea’s foreign ministry, said in Beijing: “For now, we have no thoughts about taking part in talks for discussing North Korea’s denuclearization.” Read More

Comments