Pakistanis get five to 10 years for killing security guard
The judge said the defendants were cruel, showed no regret for their actions and their behavior humiliated the Pakistani community in Hong Kong
Three Pakistani men who pleaded guilty to manslaughter after the death of a 62-year-old construction site security guard were jailed for five to 10 years at the High Court in Hong Kong on Tuesday.
The three men were handed different sentences – Nawaz Ahsan, 26, was sentenced to 10 years, Arbaz Muhammad, 23, five years, and Nawaz Mohsin, 26, seven years – the Ming Pao Daily reported.
Deputy High Court Judge Michael Stuart-Moore slammed the three men, calling them cruel, and said what they had done to the victim was close to murder. He added that their behavior was humiliating for the Pakistani community in Hong Kong.
The judge said the victim was an old man who wanted a stable life. However, he was brutally attacked because the defendants suspected he had played a role in the transfer of one of the men to another construction site, Sing Pao reported.
The judge said their attack was premeditated and they did not show any regret. Given that the three had no intention of killing the security guard when they beat him, the judge allowed the charge against them to be dropped from murder to manslaughter.
The court had earlier heard that on February in 2014, the trio decided to teach the security guard a lesson and ambushed him in an alley in Tin Shui Wai in the New Territories. Two of the men brutally beat him, while the third filmed the beating on a mobile phone.
The man was later found dead on the street by a passer-by and a coroner confirmed he died with broken ribs, a hemorrhage and injuries to the liver and kidneys.
Read: Three Pakistanis plead guilty to manslaughter of watchman