Pest control man falls to death from roof at Whampoa Garden
There was no fence on the roof or another installation for workers to attach safety gear to; Lee, 62, lost balance while trying to spray in a drain
A 62-year-old local man fell from a rooftop while doing pest control work in Whampoa Garden in Kowloon on Thursday.
At 10am, the man surnamed Lee, who was a cleaner for a pest control company, went to the roof of block 4 in Whampoa Garden Site 10 in Hung Hom with two other colleagues for monthly pest control work, Apple Daily reported.
It was believed that Lee lost his balance when he tried to spray pesticide into a drain. He rolled over a one-feet-high kerb and fell to the ground.
Lee was certified dead at the scene when paramedics arrived.
Lee was found wearing safety belts, Sing Tao Daily reported, but there was no fence on the rooftop or other installation for workers to attach their safety gear.
After an initial investigation, police said they believed the man’s death was an accident and there was no sign of foul play.
The Labour Department began an on-site investigation and suspended the work. Officials said the department would ascertain the liability of duty holders and recommend improvement measures, according to a government release.