Homeless Tianjin residents demand compensation amid clean-up
Hundreds of residents displaced by huge explosions last week in China’s port city of Tianjin demanded compensation Monday, as authorities worked to complete a sweep of the blast site for dangerous chemicals.
The death toll from the two blasts last Wednesday rose to 114, officials said. More than 700 people were injured and 70 are still missing, most of them fire fighters, the official Xinhua news agency said.
The explosions sent massive fireballs into the sky and hurled burning debris across the industrial area at the world’s 10th-largest port, burning out buildings and shattering windows kilometers away.
Xinhua reported there had been another small explosion Monday. Dark smoke had cleared after the blast but flames could still be seen. Read More