Top Hezbollah commander Badreddine killed in Syria
Top Hezbollah commander Mustafa Badreddine has been killed in an attack in Syria, the Lebanese group said on Friday, the biggest blow to the Iranian-backed organization since its military chief was killed in 2008.
Badreddine, 55, was one of the highest ranking officials in the group, and assessed by the U.S. government to be responsible for Hezbollah’s military operations in Syria, where it is fighting alongside the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
Hezbollah said Badreddine had been killed in a big explosion targeting one of its bases near Damascus airport, and an investigation was underway into whether it was caused by an air strike, a missile attack, or artillery bombardment.
The Lebanese TV station al-Mayadeen earlier reported he had been killed in an Israeli attack. Read More