Woman forgets to turn stove off, returns to find flat ablaze
The woman was sterilizing milk bottles in boiling water and forgot to turn off the stove burner before leaving home; much of her flat was gutted
Firefighters evacuated about 50 people after an apartment caught fire in a residential housing estate in Tseung Kwan O in the New Territories on Wednesday.
At about noon a 30-year-old woman surnamed Cheng, who lives in a flat on 12th floor of Block 10 at Metro City Phase Two in Tseung Kwan O, left home. However, she forgot to turn off the stove burner after sterilizing milk bottles in boiling water, Apple Daily reported.
When Cheng returned home, she found the stove burner and exhaust hood on fire.
Cheng tried to put the fire out but could not, so she immediately left the flat and informed the security guard.
Firemen put out the blaze and evacuated around 50 people to an open area. The kitchen and living room in the flat were gutted after the fire.
A 27-year-old woman, who lives on the 29th floor, was reported unwell after running from her flat to the rooftop on the 39th floor. She was sent to hospital for treatment, Oriental Daily reported.