Search Asia Times

Advanced Search

 
Central Asia

Fear of terror in Russian skies

PRAGUE - Investigators are still puzzling over the crash of two passenger jets that flew out of Moscow's Domodedovo Airport within 40 minutes of each other on Wednesday night and which crashed within three or four minutes of each other, killing nearly 100 people.

Sergei Ignatchenko, head spokesperson for the FSB intelligence agency, said the main scenario under investigation involved pilot or technical error. "Several scenarios are being considered. The main scenario is violation of civil aircraft regulations," Ignatchenko said. "A terrorist act is also being considered as a possible cause, but there has been no evidence found up to this moment that it was a terrorist act."

The director of Volgograd International Airport, Yurii Dmitriev, told journalists that he fully excludes pilot error as a reason for the crashes. "I exclude pilot error because even in the most difficult conditions arising in an aircraft of that type, such as a control malfunction or a fire on board the aircraft, crew members always have time to relay the information to [air-traffic controllers on] the ground," Dmitriev said.

There are fears the two planes may have been sabotaged by separatist militants from the rebellious republic of Chechnya, which is due to elect a new president this weekend. Rebels have been blamed for a series of terror acts in Russia in recent years.

Separatists launched a major raid in the local capital Grozny last week and promised more to come ahead of the elections.

However, Akhmed Zakaev, a spokesman for Chechen separatist leader Aslan Maskhadov, said Maskhadov was not connected in any way to the near-simultaneous crashes.

A second spokesman, speaking to alJazeera Arabic television, said the separatist government "has nothing to do with terrorist attacks. Our attacks only target the military."

In a recent interview with Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Maskhadov said he had reached an agreement with radical Chechen field commander Shamil Basaev that terrorist acts only harm the cause of Chechen resistance.

The first plane, a Tupelov-134 jet bound for Volgograd, crashed in the Tula region, near the village of Buchalki, some 200 kilometers south of Moscow. All 44 passengers, including nine crew members, were killed. Some witnesses say the plane exploded in the air before it crashed, but other reports cast doubt on this.

Russian Emergency Situations Minister Sergei Shoigu said that "regarding the Tu-134 near Tula, one of the flight recorders has been found in good condition and the search for the second flight recorder is ongoing and practically all the bodies of those who perished have been found".

ITAR-TASS later reported that all the flight and chart recorders from both planes have been found and brought to Moscow for investigation.

The small Volga-Aviaekspress airline, which owned the Tu-134, said all necessary security checks had been made prior to the flight. The company's director, Yurii Baichkin, was reportedly piloting the plane at the time of the crash. Air-traffic controllers said they received no distress signals before the plane disappeared from their radars.

Minutes later, controllers also lost track of a second plane, a Tu-154 carrying 46 passengers, including eight crew members. The plane, bound for the Black Sea resort town of Sochi, came down in the Rostov region, some 960km south of the capital.

Russia's Interfax news agency quoted a source saying the plane, owned by the Sibir air company, had sent out a hijack alert shortly before it disappeared. However, later the agency quoted an unnamed law-enforcement official as saying the signal had been a general distress alert.

The Tu-154 wreckage was found about nine hours after the plane's disappearance. An Emergency Situations Ministry official in Rostov told the Associated Press that the plane apparently broke up in the air and that the wreckage was spread over some 40-50km. The fuselage and tail lay a few hundred meters apart at the edge of a forest.

Copyright (c) 2004 RFE/RL Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036


Aug 27, 2004



Chechnya killing hits Moscow's pocket
(May 12, '04)

 

 

 
   
         
No material from Asia Times Online may be republished in any form without written permission.
Copyright 2003, Asia Times Online, 4305 Far East Finance Centre, 16 Harcourt Rd, Central, Hong Kong