WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    Greater China
     Feb 12, 2010
Page 1 of 2
Obama doesn't hand China the moon
By Peter J Brown

Critics of the decision by United States President Barack Obama to cancel the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA's) Constellation program, which was conceived five years ago to carry US astronauts back to the moon, portray the US as moving in the wrong direction and putting the nation at risk.

For example, John Tkacik, who is a retired Foreign Service officer and former chief of China analysis in the US State Department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research, recently wrote his assessment of Obama's decision in The Washington Times. [1]

"China's aerospace industry firms - which for decades have

  

supplied dangerous missile technologies and equipment to Iran, North Korea and Pakistan, and which have been sanctioned ceaselessly by four successive US presidents for their transgressions - will find the [US] in a new suppliant posture," wrote Tkacik. "The atrophying US space program suggests that America will be forced to cooperate with China in space, or else cede the high frontier of space to China altogether."

This represents a major setback for the US space program as a whole, the argument goes, and will drive the US into the role of a second-tier player when it comes to manned spaceflight in particular.

Chinese espionage is also eroding the US's leading role in space. The sentencing on Monday of convicted spy Dongfan Chung to 15 years in prison is proof positive of China's ongoing space-related espionage activities in the US. Chung, a former Boeing and Rockwell International employee, was convicted last year of providing information to China about US rockets and the space shuttle.

The Los Angeles Times reported that, according to the US Attorney's Office, US district judge Cormac Carney said that China should "stop sending your spies here". "Giving China advanced rocket technology is not in the United States' national interest," said Assistant US Attorney Greg Staples. "There is a voracious appetite for US technology in China." [2]

Whether Chung has contributed to Chinese taikonauts arriving on the moon sometime between 2017 and 2022 is unknown. But there is a good chance that China will touch down on the lunar surface well before any US astronauts arrive back on the moon - that is if China's missions proceed according to plan. (The last manned US moon mission was in December 1972.)

"I personally believe that China will be back on the moon before we are," former NASA Administrator Michael Griffin told an audience in Washington, DC in September 2007. [3]

"We certainly could be back on the moon faster than the Chinese, but we don't have the political will and therefore the resources to do it," Dr Joan Johnson-Freese, head of the US Naval War College's National Security Decision Making Department, said in 2007. She also declared that while the US is "more technically advanced" than China, by copying Russian spacecraft designs, China was making rapid strides.

More than two years later, Johnson-Freese backs her earlier comment.

"I stand by it and believe that the future of the US human space exploration really became tenuous in 2004 with the announcement [by former US president George W Bush] of his space 'vision' - including ambitious goals, even more ambitious timelines, and a grossly insufficient budget and no plan for getting the required budget," said Johnson-Freese. "That vision, which became the Constellation program, was doomed from the start and began a spiral which, without a significant budget increase and an extension of the timelines, turned out the only way it could have. If congress is now upset with the cancelation, they can always put the money back."

The sense that the US space program is now heading over a cliff as a result of Obama's decision is pervasive among critics in this instance. Tkacik reminded everyone that the decision did not happen in a vacuum. In 2005 alone, for example, China produced twice as many graduate engineers as the US - 351,537 versus 137,437 - and that at the prestigious University of Virginia, out of the 99 doctorates in engineering awarded from 2007 to 2008, 33 went to Chinese scholars.

"China's space program also seems to have all the funding and resources it needs, partially due to the fact that seven of China's nine most senior leaders - the standing committee of the Chinese Communist Party's politburo - are themselves engineers," said Tkacik.

Tkacik points to the median age of NASA's manned space engineers, which is now over 55. "Over a quarter are past retirement age," wrote Tkacik. "Meanwhile, China's average lunar probe engineer is about 33 years old and the Shenzhou manned-space program engineers average about 36."

This engineering gap is serious, but it does not appear to be impeding the US, which has experienced a surge in private sector space ventures. Dr Charles Lurio, publisher of "The Lurio Report" which covers the new private space sector, sees reason for optimism.

"The US space program is not atrophying, quite the opposite. The newly proposed NASA budget and program will create the opportunity for the private sector to do for space what it did for computers: massively reduce costs and similarly increase capabilities," said Lurio, who is based in Boston.

Meanwhile, there is no sign of any such activity in China, and certainly not on the scale that the US is experiencing today.

A $50 million award to five US companies - big and small alike - for commercial spaceflight is energizing private space sector supporters.

The money flows from the vast stimulus effort that the US government has activated over the past few months and is part of a planned US$6 billion, five-year effort to make sustained commercial spaceflight a reality.

New and relatively new small companies will benefit enormously in the process, like Colorado-based Sierra Nevada Corp, which alone was awarded $20 million to continue development of its "Dream Chaser" manned space capsule, and Washington State-based Blue Origin which was awarded almost $4 million for various projects, including research on the use of composite materials in space. Another small company on the list is Arizona-based Paragon Space Development Corp, which is pursuing various space mission support systems and receiving $1.4 million to do so.

Boeing, a veteran contractor for NASA, received $18 million to create a seven-person space capsule and a joint venture involving Boeing and Lockheed Martin known as the United Launch Alliance will use almost $7 million for systems in support of future Atlas 5 and Delta 4 rocket flights.

It is important to note that two pioneering US private space sector companies, California-based Space Exploration Technologies and Virginia-based Orbital Sciences Corp, are moving ahead rapidly thanks to the $3.5 billion that they have already been awarded for International Space Station support missions.

Critics view this shift to a private sector approach as inherently unsafe, or less safe than NASA.

"Is the private sector likely to have failures? Yes. Will lives be lost? Most regrettably, that may happen at some time or other. But NASA has had tragic losses for decades, without substantially overcoming fundamental safety issues - just as they haven't reduced cost," wrote Lurio in his most recent report. "The private sector would pursue multiple paths to orbit in parallel, respond more quickly to fix system flaws, and must strive constantly towards making space flight ever-safer to enable and expand its own new, private markets."

To describe what is happening in the US, Lurio uses language that many Chinese may find curious.

"The proposed R&D [research and development] work has several sections which themselves appear geared to both benefit from and encourage 'a thousand flowers blooming' in the New Space industry," wrote Lurio, who added, "The fight for changes at NASA has barely begun."

As a huge political storm is brewing, Lurio urges restraint and reason.

"A great caterwaul has already arisen from both sides of the congressional aisle that the proposed new direction means the 'end' of US human spaceflight - when it means just the opposite," wrote Lurio.

According to Jeff Foust, publisher of "The Space Review", in the heated debate, "Many people - on Capitol Hill, in industry and on editorial pages and in the blogosphere - missed in the discussion (not to mention the hype and hyperbole) about canceling Constellation and 'giving up the moon' a more fundamental issue." 

Continued 1 2  


US's strike threat catches China off guard
(Feb 3, '10)

China's space program poised to surge (Jan 5, '10)


1. Yemen, the new Waziristan

2. Black sites in the empire of bases

3. Altogether ... the big push in Afghanistan

4. Nuclear jawboning for knuckleheads

5. When money refuses to flow uphill

6. China, Japan still fighting over history

7. China-US ties bind and bruise

8. Myanmar takes a democratic step

9. Avatar hits home in China

10. Japan's deflation pledges lose currency

(24 hours to 11:59pm ET, Feb 10, 2010)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2010 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110