WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    Greater China
     Jun 20, 2012


Rendition case shames Hong Kong
By Kent Ewing

HONG KONG - When one conjures up the dark, shadowy world of interrogation and torture associated with "extraordinary rendition", the neon glow of this city of global finance does not immediately spring to mind.

Think again: If Sami al-Saadi is to be believed, Hong Kong has become a transit point for secret, sordid deals that land suspected terrorists in some of the world's worst torture chambers.

At least that's what the 46-year-old Libyan claims happened to him eight years ago.

Now Saadi is suing the Hong Kong government for damages and full disclosure of his treatment while he was allegedly held in custody here before being flown back to Libya, where he says he

 

experienced all of the many horrors of a prison system run by the recently overthrown regime of the late strongman Muammar Gaddafi.

Saadi is also suing the government of the United Kingdom, whose agents he alleges were instrumental in forcibly returning him to Libya.

Saadi's claims have already served to embarrass and shame Hong Kong authorities - who have pointedly refused to discuss his case, even after the chairman of the Legislative Council's security panel, James To Kun-sun, urged officials to "come clean".

The council acts as the city's mini-parliament.

If Saadi wins his lawsuit, the current official embarrassment and bureaucratic silence will instantly turn into disgrace and abject apology, not to mention a payout that could amount to millions of dollars.

Saadi's horrifying saga begins in 1988, when he fled Libya to join the overseas resistance to Gaddafi's iron-fisted rule, which lasted 42 years before the 69-year-old tyrant was captured and killed by rebels last October.

By the early 1990s, Saadi had adopted the nom de guerre Abu Munthir and was receiving military training in mountain camps in Pakistan with links to Osama bin Laden, the al-Qaeda leader killed in May 2011 during a US Navy SEALs (Sea, Air and Land teams) raid on his secret compound in the Pakistani city of Abbottabad. As a result of his training, Saadi would become an important strategist for the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group seeking to overthrow Gaddafi.

Saadi lived in Britain with his wife and children from 1993 to 2003. Then, feeling threatened as previously hostile relations between Tripoli and London began to warm, the family moved to the city of Guangzhou, capital of southern China's Guangdong province. From there, Saadi hoped to make his way to political asylum in Norway, but his plans were foiled by authorities in Beijing, who also may have been part of a grand conspiracy to return him to Libya.

As he tells the story, in March of 2004 - after Saadi, his wife and four children flew from Hong Kong to Beijing en route to Oslo - they were seized at Beijing Capital International Airport for carrying false passports and returned to Hong Kong.

It was back in Hong Kong - according to lawyers at Ho, Tse, Wai & Partners, the firm representing Saadi in the city - that things turned from bad to worse for the suspected terrorist and his family.

Saadi's legal team reportedly possesses documents detailing how Hong Kong security officials colluded with agents from the US Central Intelligence Agency and Britain's Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) to detain and interrogate Saadi for nearly two weeks in the city before secretly placing him and his family on a plane to Tripoli, where it was certain he would be jailed and tortured, if not killed.

On the first day of his family's Hong Kong ordeal, Saadi claims that he - along with his two sons, then aged 11 and nine - was confined to a small cell containing one bed while his wife and two daughters - then aged 12 and six - were held together in a separate cell.

On the following day, he says the whole family was moved to a "security room" with armed guards who accompanied them even to the toilet and would not allow them to change clothes or bathe.

During this time, Saadi and his wife were repeatedly interrogated, although there is no evidence of torture during their detention in Hong Kong.

After a week of interrogation in the city, Saadi says he and his family were taken to Hong Kong's Chek Lap Kok Airport to board a flight back to the Chinese mainland; suddenly, however, there was a change of plan, and they were returned to the same room and circumstances in which they had previously been held.

Finally, on March 28, the family was placed on a chartered Boeing 777-200 operated by EgyptAir and bound for Tripoli. They were the only passengers.

The Hong Kong government reportedly refused to hand Saadi over to a Libyan aircraft and also insisted on assurances from the Libyan government that neither he nor any member of his family would be tortured - assurances that London-based human-rights organization Reprieve, which is championing Saadi's cause, insists no humane government should have accepted at face value.

As the family boarded that EgyptAir flight and entered an unlighted cabin, according to Saadi, armed Libyan guards separated the children from their parents and the two girls from the two boys.

Saadi and his wife were handcuffed and seated at the front of the cabin, out of view of their children. The children were told to say "goodbye" to their parents, the implication being that they would never see them again.

After the 17-hour flight to a military airport in Tripoli, the family was transported to a prison in the Mediterranean city of Tajura. Saadi's wife and children were held in the prison for two and a half months while Saadi spent three years there before being transferred to Tripoli's notorious, top-security Abu Salim prison, from which he was freed last August during the uprising that toppled Gaddafi.

Saadi's plight first came to light when top-secret documents related to his case were discovered by human-rights workers in the abandoned Tripoli office of Gaddafi's former intelligence chief, Moussa Koussa, after the overthrow of Gaddafi.

These documents appear to reveal that the CIA arranged for the EgyptAir flight to Tripoli once the Hong Kong government refused to allow a Libyan aircraft to land in the city.

In addition, they show that MI6 agents worked with the CIA to seize another Libyan dissident, Abdul Hakin Belhaj, in Bangkok, also in March 2004. Belhaj, too, was then "rendered" from Thailand to Libya.

Currently a key player in the new Libyan government, Belhaj says he was tortured both by CIA agents and by his jailers in Tripoli.

Interestingly, the alleged Saadi and Belhaj renditions occurred around the same time that then British prime minister Tony Blair paid a friendly visit to Gaddafi in Tripoli during which Blair stated that he wanted to make a "common cause" with the dictator to fight terrorism around the world.

Also while Blair was in Tripoli, it was announced that the Anglo-Dutch oil conglomerate Shell had signed a US$860-million gas-exploration deal with the Gaddafi regime.

If Saadi's claims are true, Hong Kong security officials put him and his family on that EgyptAir flight to hell two days before Blair's arrival in the Libyan capital.

What a striking coincidence.

Kent Ewing is a Hong Kong-based teacher and writer. He can be reached at kewing56@gmail.com. Follow him on Twitter: @KentEwing1

(Copyright 2012 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)





Keeping Saif: what to do with Gaddafi's most famous son (Jun 13, '12)

Finding justice in Guantanamo (Jan 14, '12)


1.
Crown prince's death vexes Saudis

2. China floats towards space dominance

3. Europe's crisis is about wealth, not growth

4. India: the US doormat into Asia?

5. Obama's six-point plan for Global War

6. Syria begins to break down

7. Power struggle overshadows Egypt vote

8. Drone me down on the killing floor

9. The Pacific 'pivot' gamble

10. Trilateral Asian FTA sets challenges for Canberra

(24 hours to 11:59pm ET, Jun 18, 2012)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2012 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110