WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese




    Greater China
     Nov 30, 2012


SUN WUKONG
Wen 'wealth' probe can boost Xi
By Wu Zhong, China Editor

HONG KONG - Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao appears to be a person who cares very much about his public image and reputation. Now, he seems to be concerned how he will be remembered after his full retirement.

"I hope people will forget me, though I'll never forget our Motherland and people," an emotional Wen said, tears in his eyes, last week in Bangkok when meeting representatives of overseas Chinese in the Thai capital. Quoting an ancient Chinese poem, Wen said he had no regrets about "dying nine times" to prove his "honesty and integrity".

Apparently, Wen is quite obsessed with rumors about his family's alleged hidden wealth, renewed lately by a New York Times report on October 25 - ahead of the 18th National Congress of the

 

Chinese Communist Party (CCP) - which put the amount at US$2.7 billion. In a move rarely seen in China, Wen's family fought back, hiring lawyers to reject the NYT report and threatening to take legal action against the American newspaper. [1]

In China, many netizens have regarded the rumors as fabricated by anti-reform elements in the party to smear the reform-minded leader. Now they read Wen's words as his farewell speech, feeling regret that this "People's Premier" could not materialize his ideals of deepening reforms during his 10-year tenure due to resistance and obstruction by anti-reform elements and vested interest groups.

Wen's critics say he is just trying to portray himself as a tragic hero to divert public attention from long-time speculation about his family's huge wealth,

After Wen's remarks, the NYT published a follow-up report on November 24 about the origin of the wealth of Wen's family - largely through holdings in Ping An Insurance. This time, China's second-largest insurer, listed in Hong Kong and Shanghai stock exchanges, issued a statement to deny the story and threaten to take legal action. [2]

Wen himself has kept a close eye on the development of the rumors from the very beginning, when Guangzhou-based 21st Century Business Herald carried a report in July 2004 which hinted, without naming, that Wen's son might have made a fortune by obtaining Ping An shares at unusually low prices before the insurer went public. Wen has since prepared for his counter attack.

In April last year, Wen invited Ng Hong Mun, a retired principal of a pro-Beijing secondary school in Hong Kong and a former Hong Kong deputy to the National People's Congress (NPC), to his home inside the Zhongnanhai compound - headquarters of China's power center in Beijing - for a private meeting.

The two talked for one-and-a-half hours. At the time, Ng said only that Wen mainly talked about the difficulties of pushing forward reforms.

But on November 10 of this year, in the midst of the CCP's National Congress, Ng wrote on Ming Pao, a Chinese-language daily in Hong Kong, accusing the NYT of refreshing old rumors trying to smear Wen.

Ng wrote:
At the end of the meeting the premier gave me a big manila envelope supposedly containing some documents. He said nothing and I did not open it on spot. I opened it when I got back to my hotel room. Inside were a pile of photocopies of media reports, which were arranged into sorts with subtitles:
1. The origin of the rumors - 21st Century Business Herald on July 1, 2004;
2. Ping An Insurance - related rumors and articles on Internet refuting the rumors;
3. Clarification of the Taiwan delegation participating [in] the jewelry exhibition [at which Wen's wife allegedly bought jewelry worth millions of yuan];
4. Xu Ming passed himself off as (Wen's) son-in-law;
5. Recent ungrounded reports about Wen Yunsong (son of the premier).

All stuff was to smear him [Wen] and his family members. They came out long before the NYT article ... When Premier Wen passed the stuff to me, he did not ask me to do anything for him. But I knew, these overseas media reports were aimed at infiltrating into the mainland to deal a blow to the authority of Premier Wen as the banner holder of the reformists.

Much of the NYT's lengthy report to expose the so-called hidden wealth of the Wen family was just "leftover rice" recooked. They couldn't even find a picture of Premier Wen and his wife and had to... ask me whether they could use the exclusive picture of the Wen couple meeting with me last year.
The controversy over Wen's family wealth aside, Ng's article shows Wen is a savvy and sophisticated politician. Wen knew the rumors were a time-bomb that would explode one day, and he trusted that Ng would come forward to speak out for him, though at that time the premier did not ask Ng"to do anything for him".

Now Ng proves his trustworthiness. The timing for Ng in publishing this article is also very intriguing - he had not disclosed anything since his meeting with Wen last year, holding back until after the NYT published its first story.

Later on, interviewed by Hong Kong media, Ng explained why he had kept silent for so long: "I don't think it is too late. I'm not obliged to defend Premier Wen... In any case, an innocent person will be proven innocent."

But he thought he needed to react now because some people wanted to make an issue of the rumors.

"Premier Wen has a son and a daughter. I don't see they have especially high political or economic positions," Ng said. He added that former premier Li Peng's son is vice governor of Shanxi province and that Li his daughter a board chairman of a state-owned enterprise, so by comparison, Wen's children remain relatively low profile.

Eager as Ng is to defend Wen, he failed to mention that Wen's son, Wen Yunsong, now is board chairman of China Satellite Communications Co Ltd, a large state-owned enterprise. Nor did he offer an explanation of how junior Wen managed to get this not-so-low-profile post.

More pertinently, Ng has provided no hard evidence to convincingly refute the NYT reports and other rumors.

The nearly 100 pages of newspaper clips and copies of articles on the Internet that Wen passed to Ng indeed include those that defended Wen and his family members against the rumors. But they are media reports, just like the NYT stories, which can hardly be independently verified or refuted or used as evidence to make a judgment.

Taking legal action against the NYT, as threatened by Wen's family and Ping An, may help clarify the issue. However, few believe they will really take such an action, for, since the premier is involved, the CCP won't allow the case to be brought to a court either in the United States or in China.

Since Wen cares very much about his reputation and reportedly has asked the CCP to conduct an investigation into the alleged wrongdoings of his family, it is now up to the CCP whether and how to satisfy the out-going premier's aspiration.

For this, the CCP's top anti-graft watchdog, the Central Commission for Disciplinary Inspection (CCDI) headed by its new chief, the no-nonsense Wang Qishan, should start an investigation as urged by Wen. If Wen or any of his family members is found guilty, they should be given due punishment in accordance with the law or party discipline. On the other hand, if they are proved innocent, they deserve a public clearance so that the premier can enjoy his retirement life with his mind at ease.

The 18th party congress has pledged to step up its crackdown on corruption: the party "will staunchly fight against corruption. Anyone, no matter who he is, how powerful he is or how high ranking he is, must be punished severely if he violates party discipline and law."

To conduct an investigation into the alleged wealth of Wen's family would convince the public that the party really honors its commitment, which would boost the authority and popularity of the new leadership headed by Xi Jinping.

Notes:
1. Chinese Premier's family denies NYT report on huge wealth, Niti Central, October 29, 2012.
2. Ping An Insurance eyes legal action against The New York Times, South China Morning Post, November 27, 2012.

(Copyright 2012 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)




 


1.
Post-US world born in Phnom Penh

2. Palestinian 'state' vote a crisis moment

3. Gaza War may strengthen Iran's hand

4. The end of Japan as we know it

5. Beijing signals new hard line on Hong Kong

6. Swing states hold key to US domination

7. ASEAN's fast fade to irrelevance

8. Energy outlook spells doomsday

9. South Korea sets the sat nav to 2032

10. Xi feels threat of a China Spring

(24 hours to 11:59pm ET, Nov 28, 2012)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2012 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110