Search Asia Times

Advanced Search

 
Front Page

THIS NUCLEAR AGE
Part 2: Preemption and an arms race with itself
By Ritt Goldstein

   (Part 1: US neo-cons and war)

A nuclear and conventional arms race is being waged by the administration of US President George W Bush. Yet the Pentagon acknowledges that the "typical arms race dynamic in which the adversary seeks to match or emulate our capabilities is not now plausible", US conventional power being unassailable. But hundreds of billions of dollars in defense spending are in question, with many observers seeing a preemptive nuclear war potentially in the offing.

In a February 23 report for the US Congress, the Congressional Research Service (CRS) highlighted that the administration believes that America must be prepared to strike preemptively at any threat it perceives as warranting such. The report also warns that some analysts conclude the administration presently "foresees the possible preemptive use of nuclear weapons against nations or groups that are not necessarily armed with their own".

The ongoing weapons effort undertakes to "push the envelope in nuclear design", ensuring that US weapons designers "are at the leading edge of understanding what might be possible in nuclear weapons", according to the Department of Defense (DoD).

Asia Times Online came across an outline of America's military future in a February 2004 report by the Defense Science Board, an influential DoD panel established to advise the secretary of defense, now Donald Rumsfeld. The report is entitled "Future Strategic Strike Forces" (FSSF), and while reportedly not yet available for public release, a logical reason for that could lie in suppressing the fallacies on which much of the document appears built. An example of such reasoning was presented in "analyzing" the US military's shortcomings in Iraq.

While it is now widely accepted that Iraq never possessed any weapons of mass destruction (WMD), FSSF urges a US$3 billion intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance system be funded because "we have not found the WMD we know are there, even with teams on the ground".

While such logic amply serves to deflect the true reality of circumstances, the willingness to significantly act on such misconception provides alarming potential. The report's authors perceive that: "For targets posing a time-urgent concern, low-yield, low-fission nuclear weapons may be the only choice."

Critics speculate that a "nuke them now and apologize later" policy may be evolving.

Notably, Under Secretary of Defense Douglas Feith has repeatedly offered pronouncements aimed at combating the public's perception of an unwarranted and dangerous administration move towards nuclear conflict. Feith has emphasized that the administration's efforts were making "the use of nuclear weapons less likely", and that the nuclear threshold will remain high. Though, it was Feith who had previously been in authority over the Pentagon's now discredited Office of Special Plans, blamed by critics for blatant propagandizing.

John Pike of Global Security, a leading US security and defense expert, told Asia Times Online that everyone in Washington understands that the nuclear threshold is being lowered, but the question is "whether you think that's the good news or the bad news". Pike added that nuclear hawks are "basically attempting to renuclearize the military", after the first president Bush, and then president Bill Clinton, made substantive strides away from nuclear deployments.

Regarding Feith's assurances, Pike said: "He's saying that for people who want to hear that ... some people are easily bewildered." But worse still is what many analysts see as the developing reality.

CRS pointedly has noted that with America's conventional military might, it would be "difficult" to envision circumstances in which there was "a military need to launch a preemptive strike with nuclear weapons in the opening phases of a conflict". But a psychological basis may supercede the military one.

The executive director of the Washington-based Arms Control Association, Daryl Kimball, has described nuclear weapons as "mass terror weapons whether used by the United States or another country". And while it's paradoxically the "war on terror" which is the administration's rationale, the Iraqi war has helped spawn a new Pentagon focus, one "on how we will fight, not who we will fight", according to the CRS, with nuclear weapons now categorically named in the available US arsenal.

Notably, in a December 2003 report entitled "Bounding the Global War on Terrorism", one of America's foremost military strategists, Dr Jeffrey Record, argued that terrorists, "given their secretive, cellular, dispersed, and decentralized order of battle ... are not subject to conventional military destruction." Record and numerous other military strategists have argued that "intelligence and muscular policework" is the best counter-terrorism approach. And CRS has noted that "al-Qaeda presents few if any targets that would be suitable for nuclear weapons".

Commenting on one aspect of the motivation lying behind the administration's efforts, Pike observed: "They [the nuclear hawks] have believed for a long time that nuclear weapons are the answer, and we have just got to figure out what the question is."

A similar theme of weaponry providing "answers" runs throughout the Defense Science Board's report, FSSF. Here a new "Defense Triad" is envisioned, comprised of: nuclear and conventional weaponry; active and passive homeland defenses; and a "responsive infrastructure", meaning a vastly enhanced and expanded military-industrial complex.

FSSF postulates: "Modern defense planning requires the US to develop acquisition programs that are more flexible and responsive. Such programs must build on and sustain the US industrial base."

FSSF perceives successful defense as US industry cranking out an "array of potential alternative solutions", paralleling Pike's vision of answers looking for questions. The report urges a "departure from current practice in which requirements are developed and levied on the services ... this [new] development architecture will lead to rapid, spiral developments of capabilities", which critics have termed a financially ruinous US arms race with itself.

While the Pentagon's new defense plans will feed hundreds of billions dollars to US industry, reports indicate that the majority of both US industry and military have not eagerly courted the administration's "largesse". But critics charge that weapons programs filling corporate coffers can ensure very filling campaign contributions, allowing the administration's efforts to continue. And the administration's push is clear, with its thrust to develop a "bunker-busting" mini-nuke for $485 million, even illustrating a willingness to mislead Congress, and separately, to have apparently even contravened US law.

The FSSF is among those documents championing the bunker-buster, what has been termed the robust nuclear earth penetrator (RNEP). It is meant to destroy deeply buried bunkers, even those hidden under substantive rock. FSSF describes it as a "clean, low-yield nuclear weapon". It adds that the nuclear detonation would be "contained", ensuring that if detonated against a "near-urban facility", it "may avoid nearly all collateral casualties".

By contrast, Dr Sidney Drell, a Stanford University physicist and longtime advisor to America's nuclear program, observed that such a detonation, if only 1 kiloton, could potentially eject a million cubic feet of radioactive debris, fallout. The CRS has similarly found that an underground detonation of a 5 kiloton weapon near a city such as Damascus or Baghdad, could cause over 200,000 fatalities, with a slightly higher figure of additional casualties growing over the following two years.

In order to pursue such "clean" and "contained" nuclear weaponry, Congress had lifted a ban on research of such low-yield devices that was mandated by a law named Spratt-Furse. The Defense Authorization bill of 2004 did so in November 2003, repealing Spratt-Furse, but under the proviso that no more than limited research be done on any nuclear weapons without explicit Congressional approval. But the administration began work on its low-yield nuke program in January 2002, almost two years prior to Spratt-Furce's repeal.

According to the Bush administration's own December 31, 2001 Nuclear Posture Review (a classified document of which excerpts have been made publicly available), which is the official declaration of US nuclear weapons policy: "The NNSA [National Nuclear Security Administration - in charge of nuclear weapons programs] has initiated a program to energize design work on advanced concepts [the term applied to the low-yield nuclear weapons program] at the three design laboratories." Confirming this, an August 2003 interview with C Paul Robinson, director of Sandia National Laboratories (a nuclear weapons research facility), noted that the "administration gave us the OK to begin researching about a year ago". But Spratt-Furse was in force until November 2003.

Nuclear expert Joseph Cirincione, director for non-proliferation with the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, told Asia Times Online: "I think there's a good question about whether the concept work done under the Nuclear Posture Review violated the law [Spratt-Furse] or not."

Facts suggest that the administration contravened the Spratt-Furse Law in what critics term its blind rush for mini-nukes. But the questions don't stop there.

In its push for the RNEP, the NNSA has submitted a five-year budget. The Arms Control Association's Daryl Kimball told Asia Times Online: "They do not do this for every weapon system ... it does make it clear that they intend to move ahead with development." However, such a decision is, by law, that of the US Congress, with Congress having thus far only authorized a study, nothing more.

On March 8, the CRS pointedly observed in a report: "The FY2005 [budget] request document seems to cast serious doubt on assertions that RNEP is only a study."

The Bush administration appears to be in the process of usurping Congressional authority. However, the implications go beyond RNEP.

In a January 22 letter to the head of the NNSA, Linton Brooks, both the ranking Democratic member, Representative Peter Visclosky, and the Republican chairman, David Hobson, of the House of Representatives sub-committee overseeing nuclear weapons funding, castigated Brooks for alleged misrepresentations to them. The two sub-committee leaders accuse Brooks of providing "hollow assurances", noting his actions lead them to "question the sincerity" of Brooks' assertions, adding that Brooks' conduct betrays the "actual intent of the Advanced Concepts work proposed by the administration".

At issue was a limitation that had been placed on the Advanced Concepts proposal, with Hobson and Visclosky both admonishing: "You are well aware of our reservations about embarking on significant new nuclear weapons design initiatives under the advanced concepts proposal."

Brooks appears to have ignored Congressional limitation, evidenced by a December 5, 2003 memo to weapons labs.

In his memo, Brooks declared that the labs were "free to explore a range of technical options ... without any concern that some ideas could violate a vague and arbitrary limitation". The memo also urged weapons design teams to "engage fully with the Department of Defense", so as to "take advantage of this opportunity to ensure that we close any gaps that may have opened in past decades in our understanding of the possible military applications of atomic energy".

The sub-committee's letter of rebuke pointedly noted the need for "Congressional review" before proceeding, expressing particular concern that Brooks' memo conveyed to the weapons labs nothing more than "unbridled enthusiasm for new weapons designs and for seeking new military missions for nuclear weapons".

As Global Security's Pike observed: "They have believed for a long time that nuclear weapons are the answer, and we have just got to figure out what the question is." And the facts do suggest this is the mindset dominating an administration in an arms race with itself, forecasting a "war on terror" "quite possibly measured in decades" in order to legitimize its position.

"The script they're reading from is right out of 1984 ... the perpetual war on the distant frontier," said the NRDC's Christopher Paine, a man who's forebear had signed America's Declaration of Independence, creating the United States.

TOMORROW - Part 3: Iran, North Korea and problems of proliferation

Ritt Goldstein is an American investigative political journalist based in Stockholm. His work has appeared in broadsheets such as Australia's Sydney Morning Herald, Spain's El Mundo and Denmark's Politiken, as well as with the Inter Press Service (IPS), a global news agency.

(Copyright 2004 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact content@atimes.com for information on our sales and syndication policies.)


May 6, 2004



Spinning the nuclear missile wheel
(May 5, '04)

 

 
   
       
No material from Asia Times Online may be republished in any form without written permission.
Copyright 2003, Asia Times Online, 4305 Far East Finance Centre, 16 Harcourt Rd, Central, Hong Kong