WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
WSI
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    Front Page
     Jul 1, 2005
Pushing Islam to the extremes
By Ilhem Rachidi

RABAT, Morocco - During his sermons, Hassan Kettani would incite his followers to observe a radical vision of Islam, at odds with the official and more open Maliki rite of Morocco, in order to build a "non-depraved" society free from Western influence. Under the complacent eye of the state, he delivered fiery speeches calling for jihad against the US and its allies.

In February 2003, the young, popular cleric was arrested, four months before five simultaneous terrorist attacks struck Casablanca, Morocco's business capital, killing 44 people, including the 11 suicide bombers.

Kettani was later sentenced in connection with the attacks to 20 years in prison.

Abdelwaheb Rafiki, known as Abu Hafs, also arrested prior to the attacks, was given a 30-year sentence. He considers himself a prisoner of opinion and reaffirmed his hardline beliefs in a recent interview to the Spanish daily ABC.

"My crime is that I have denounced the Americans who kill our women and our children in Palestine and who have invaded our land in Afghanistan and Iraq," he said.

Last month, Hassan Kettani, Abu Hafs, as well as Omar Haddouchi and Mohamed Fizazi, two other leading clerics convicted of being the ideological leaders of the Salafia Jihadia extremist nebula and for having "inspired" the attacks, started a trial of strength with Moroccan authorities by remaining on hunger strike with hundreds of Islamist convicts for more than 20 days in prisons throughout the country.

Their publicized move drew intense discussions on their ideological role in the attacks, which prompted the adoption of tough, controversial anti-terror legislation and a raking in Islamist ranks.

Out of 1,024 so-called Salafist convicts, 665 officially took part to the movement, in an attempt to attract maximum attention a few days before the second anniversary of the attacks.

The prisoners urged for a review of their trials, an international investigation into the attacks and their immediate release. "Open the doors of the jail or bring the shrouds," they said.

"This hunger strike has political goals, not humanitarian ones," declared Justice Minister Mohamed Bouzoubaa, who reportedly viewed it as an "Islamist blackmail".

It took 12 days of intense negotiations between mediators and the militants to progressively soften the mobilization, in exchange for promises to review their dossiers.

Mustapha Ramid, a prominent member of the official Islamist Party of Justice and Development and the lawyer of Hassan Kettani, was part of a delegation that met representatives of the detainees at the central prison of Kenitra a few days ago. He described the atmosphere as one of hope and expectation among the prisoners, who feel they are "the victims of an injustice".

Ramid insisted there's no legal procedure to retry the prisoners for now, but he counted on a review of their cases in order to obtain a royal pardon.

Forty-four Islamist prisoners were pardoned following the national celebration of the circumcision of Crown Prince Moulay Hassan in early May.

Many strikers, however, refused to ask for a royal pardon, claiming they are not guilty of anything. "I'll never ask [for] the royal pardon. It is up to the authorities to ask us for pardon," Fizazi recently declared to the local newspaper al-Jarida al-Oukhra.

According to their supporters, they did not plan the attacks and the Salafia Jihadia is an invention of the Moroccan secret services. But even though the Salafia was not a structured organization as described in the aftermath of the bombings, it was a sphere of influence that had a major ideological impact on the bombers.

The Ministry of Justice, in its refusal to deal with the detainees as a group, seemed to avoid any recognition of what might become a political and opposition force.

Describing the early demands as "high", Ramid explained a direct negotiation with authorities would have better benefited the movement. "It's difficult for the state to yield to [them] because [they're] asking for [their] release. I'd have liked [them] to ask for the opening of a dialogue in order to find a just solution to [their] case." But, he added, "They've just started to make politics. They're going to make a faux pas and then they'll understand."

Some analysts fear the prisoners might radicalize themselves during their detention and become organized contestants to the regime.

Islam specialist and political science professor Mohamed Darif drew attention to the birth of an organized movement, able of planning collective actions. "The organizational dimension did not exist before their detention. The dangerous thing in this strike is that we moved to another stage, from spiritual to organizational links," he said. "This is dangerous. We are not in front of one cleric preaching jihad anymore. Now there's a hierarchy."

Ramid, who was slightly critical of the up-front strategy adopted by the militants, nevertheless believed the strike succeeded in attracting public attention. "[Public opinion] was against them, it thought they were terrorists," he argued. "Now people have started to think there were hundreds of innocents [sentenced]."

Local human-rights activists and prominent members of the civil society called for an end to the strike for fear of casualties - it did claim one life, although one person, Khalid Boukri, officially died from digestive tuberculosis - and strongly voiced their opposition to the irregular trials which took place in the aftermath of the attacks, over which 2,112 people were charged and 903 found guilty, including 17 who were sentenced to death.

But Morocco's political class agreed not to soften its stance on radicalism. Today, local politicians seem to be short of ideas to extract themselves from this now appeased crisis.

Critics also see US pressure to carry out a tough security policy in the region. A major partner in the US-led "war on terror", Morocco will have to balance its international commitments with its internal political tensions.

"The decision to free [the prisoners] is not a sovereign decision. There's a partnership. The engagement of Morocco towards its partners has to be taken into consideration," said Darif.

(Copyright 2005 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us for information on sales, syndication and republishing.)


Answering the call for jihad
(May 21, '05)


 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2005 Asia Times Online Ltd.
Head Office: Rm 202, Hau Fook Mansion, No. 8 Hau Fook St., Kowloon, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110