|
|
|
 |
UK knew it was
coming By B Raman
The
synchronized explosions in London on Thursday in
which at least eight people died and scores were
injured appear at first assessment to be the
handiwork of al-Qaeda and the International
Islamic Front formed by it in February, 1998.
A group calling itself "The Secret
Organization of al-Qaeda in Europe" posted a claim
of responsibility for the blasts, saying they were
in retaliation for Britain's involvement in Iraq
and Afghanistan. The authenticity of the message
could not be immediately confirmed. The statement,
which also threatened attacks in Italy and
Denmark, was published on an Internet site popular
with Islamic militants, according to Elaph, a
secular Arabic-language news site, and Der Spiegel
magazine in Berlin.
The initial indication
that pro-al Qaeda terrorist elements were planning
a major terrorist strike in London came in August
last year following the arrest in Lahore by the
Pakistani authorities of one Mohammad Naeem Noor
Khan, a Pakistani computer expert, who used to
live partly in London and partly in Pakistan.
During his interrogation, he admitted that
he was working for al-Qaeda as a communications
expert and that he used to transmit all messages
from Osama bin Laden and other al-Qaeda leaders in
a coded form to al-Qaeda cadres in different
countries. He also reportedly told the Pakistani
authorities that al-Qaeda had planned a terrorist
strike at Heathrow airport in London.
On
the basis of the information given by Noor Khan,
British authorities arrested Dhiren Bharot, alias
Bilal, a Hindu convert to Islam, and 11 others,
seven of them of Pakistani origin. Noor Khan was
reported to have told the Pakistani authorities
that Dhiren, who was also known as al-Brittani,
was the leader of an al-Qaeda cell in the United
Kingdom and had been sent by Khalid Sheikh
Mohammad of al-Qaeda, who orchestrated the
September 11 strikes in the US, to the US to
select suitable economic targets in New York for
attack.
The British did not give details
of what they had ascertained during the
interrogation of the arrested persons, but gave
out that their interrogation did not corroborate
the Pakistani version of a planned terrorist
strike on Heathrow.
Investigations made by
the intelligence and security agencies of West
Europe after the Madrid blasts of March, 2004,
revealed that al-Qaeda had a large number of
supporters in the Muslim diaspora of West Europe.
In its annual report on the action against
terrorism in Europe, the European Union also drew
attention to this fact. Moroccans and Pakistanis
constituted the largest number of terrorist
suspects arrested and questioned in West Europe
last year. About 70 Muslims from the UK, many of
them of Pakistani origin, were estimated to have
gone to Iraq last year and joined the local
al-Qaeda unit headed by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.
Following the reported participation of
one of them in a suicide mission, British police
recently made some arrests in the UK, but they
have not revealed the identities of those
detained.
Thus, British authorities were
apparently aware of the presence of suspected
al-Qaeda sleeper cells in the Muslim diaspora in
the UK, and had been closely monitoring their
activities for nearly a year. The fact that
despite this, the perpetrators of the blasts
managed to carry them out speak well of their
motivation and ability to plan and execute
terrorist strikes in total secrecy.
In
response to a request from a US security
consultancy group asking for my comments on likely
future scenarios in the US homeland, I stated as
follows on June 19:
A new anti-US hub, which is
emerging, is the Muslim diaspora in West Europe,
consisting of Muslims who had migrated to
different countries of West Europe from the
countries of the Islamic world. Osama bin Laden
and his ideology have a growing following in
this diaspora - particularly among Muslims of
Moroccan and Pakistani origin, who constitute
the largest number of terrorist suspects
detained for questioning in connection with the
investigation of different terrorist incidents.
The countries needing a special watch are the
UK, Spain and France. It is my assessment that
there is likely to be another attempt for a
9/11-like terrorist strike in the US homeland in
retaliation for the alleged desecration of the
Holy Koran. Saudi, Moroccan and Pakistani
nationals or foreign nationals of Saudi,
Moroccan and Pakistani origin are likely to play
the leadership, as well as the foot-jihadi roles
in the efforts to plan, mount and execute
another catastrophic terrorist strike in the US
homeland. Saudis are in the forefront of the
current terrorist wave in Iraq and Pakistanis in
Afghanistan. Moroccans played a central role in
the terrorist strikes in Madrid last year.
While the devices used for triggering
off an explosion are becoming more and more
sophisticated, the explosives actually used are
more and more commonplace.The use of
sophisticated explosives such as Semtex, RDX etc
has given place to more commonplace ones such as
nitrogenous fertilizers, whose acquisition is
unlikely to give rise to suspicion. It is only a
question of time before the terrorists start
using the fuel contained in the tank of any
automobile as an explosive and incendiary device
for causing casualties and material damage. All
they need to do is to devise a mechanism by
which a suicide terrorist can cause an explosion
in his fuel tank while at the steering wheel of
his vehicle. If they manage to do so, prevention
can become an impossibility. My
assessment was that the next al-Qaeda strike would
again be in the US. Instead, it has come in the
UK. It is apparent that the terrorist strikes were
deliberately planned to coincide with the Group of
Eight summit in Scotland, to create the maximum
impact and take advantage of the fact that the
attention of the British agencies would be
focussed on protecting the leaders attending the
summit.
B Raman is additional
secretary (retired), cabinet secretariat,
government of India, New Delhi, and, presently,
director, Institute for Topical Studies, Chennai,
and distinguished fellow and convener, Observer
Research Foundation, Chennai Chapter. Email
itschen36@gmail.com
(Copyright 2005 B
Raman) |
|
 |
|
|
|
|
|
 |
|
|
 |
|
|
All material on this
website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written
permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2005 Asia Times
Online Ltd.
|
|
Head
Office: Rm 202, Hau Fook Mansion, No. 8 Hau Fook St., Kowloon, Hong
Kong
Thailand Bureau:
11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110
|
|
|
|