WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    Front Page
     Sep 11, 2008
Terror fluid plot thickens
By Ronan Thomas

LONDON - According to British authorities, it was a plot to chill the marrow of air passengers everywhere; if successful it could have even eclipsed the September 11, 2001, attacks in terms of callous savagery.

In August 2006, British authorities announced they had foiled a spectacular terrorist conspiracy. They had disrupted an attempt by British Islamist extremists to launch simultaneous suicide attacks - using liquid explosives smuggled on board - against seven transatlantic flights departing out of London's Heathrow airport. Police promptly committed a group of eight British nationals - whom they had been monitoring for months - to trial.

The effect of the arrests was dramatic and immediate. Airport security - particularly at London Heathrow - was dramatically 

 
ramped up. International travel chaos ensued for weeks; international air travel growth slumped from 5.8% in 2005 to just 1.3% in August 2006 (UK Civil Aviation Authority figures) and draconian new security measures were brought in.

Ever since, international airports have brought in tight restrictions on liquids carried onto aircraft; an international ban on liquids in hand luggage plus a restriction of no more than one tenth of a liter permitted as a carry-on item. Air passengers were told that such restrictions - even including moisturizers, lipsticks and deodorants - were necessary irritants given the evidence and nature of the current terrorist threat.

This week the alleged airline plotters were called to account after what British counter-terrorism authorities say was the largest domestic surveillance operation in British criminal history.

Following a trial lasting five months and costing US$20 million, a London court convicted seven British-born Islamist extremists of conspiring to cause explosions. Three men - Abdulla Ahmed Ali, 27, Assad Sarwar, 28, and Tanvir Hussain, 27 all of Walthamstow, East London - were additionally found guilty of conspiracy to murder in terrorist attacks; four others admitted conspiracy to cause "public nuisance"; one was cleared of all charges. Ali, Sarwar and Hussain had pleaded guilty earlier this year to planning to cause explosions.

The court ruled that this trio - all from Walthamstow, East London - had been inspired directly by al-Qaeda and planned to target a range of British domestic targets. British Home Secretary Jacqui Smith went further - she stated that the men's conviction "had saved countless lives".

Unfortunately, the convictions cannot be said to be an unalloyed British victory in the difficult campaign against enemies within. Critically, the jury could not agree that the men actually intended to bomb airliners. Simply put, the prosecution did not prove its case - in court it emerged that none of the men had purchased flight tickets. At the same time a row has broken out in government and intelligence circles - according to various British media reports – over whether British security services moved against the cell too early after pressure from US counterparts. According to the BBC the verdict has now left senior British intelligence and police officials "dismayed and astonished".

So this is a case whose outcome remains fluid. Either way, the British government is not happy and is set to call for a retrial by the end of September.

The case dates to a period when Britain's counter-terrorism resources were being stretched to their limit. After the events of 7/7 in London of July 2005, British intelligence was confronted by a myriad of potential Islamist extremist threats, which it struggled to dimension and interpret.

But their efforts bore fruit early with the Walthamstow cell. In 2006, the group was placed under intensive MI5 and police surveillance - codenamed Operation Overt. The suspects fitted the current profile of Islamist extremism in Britain; young, British-born and educated and with strong links to Pakistan. The court heard that they were inspired directly by - perhaps also controlled by - the al-Qaeda nexus operating out of the tribal areas of Pakistan.

Several had visited refugee camps in Pakistan and most likely liaised with al-Qaeda operatives. Several members also had links to the 7/7/2005 and failed 21/7/2005 bomb attack plotters in London. The group's commander was Abdulla Amed Ali, and Assad Sarwar was the quartermaster and chemist; the remainder were foot soldiers. All cited British foreign policy in Iraq and Afghanistan and the treatment of Muslims by the West in the Middle East as their prime motivation.

MI5 quickly discovered that their Walthamstow address had been turned into a veritable bomb factory for home-made devices. The cell was monitored for months by hidden cameras as they researched and assembled improvised bombs and recorded "martyrdom" video statements. Police subsequently arrested eight men and searched woods in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. There they discovered a suitcase containing explosive ingredients and nearby large bottles of hydrogen peroxide, a key liquid bomb-making chemical.

British prosecutors must have felt they had accrued all the necessary evidence. They argued that the three Londoners had clearly targeted trans-Atlantic airliners heading from the UK to US airports because of their choice of liquid explosives. The court heard that the group had assembled the components specifically for a liquid-based attack.

Their liquid bombs consisted of holes drilled in soft drinks bottles, the contents replaced by a mixture of hydrogen peroxide - a bargain basement bomb maker's favorite - drink powder and food colorant. These were then attached to detonators hidden in disposable cameras. Prosecutors claimed the devices were intended to pass as innocuous items in luggage through Heathrow's airport X-ray scanners. British scientists subsequently conducted a test which showed the devastating potential of the devices; proving they were indeed powerful enough to bring down an airliner in flight.

But this did not convince the British jury. The case festers.

At a stretch, the latest convictions could be counted as a victory by terrorists in that the actions of the London cell disrupted international airline travel massively in 2006. But this argument does not bear much inspection. Growth in international air travel had rebounded to 5.5% by August 2007 (UK Civil Aviation figures).
The airline industry's current woes have more to do with the high price of aviation fuel rather than the burdens imposed by increased security against international terrorism. And even if the current restrictions will not be relaxed any time soon, technology designed to counter the threat of explosive liquids to aircraft has also advanced since 2006.

The seven major British airports for instance have ordered 180 new Advanced Threat Identification X-Ray (ATIX) systems designed to differentiate explosive liquids by their density. Other aspects of trans-Atlantic airline security have also been given a boost as a direct result of the Walthamstow arrests and trial. Passengers intending to travel to the US from the UK must now submit details online at least 24 hours before departure and their data be entered on US screening databases. So the latest attempts by domestic British Islamist extremists could not only be said to have been disrupted, but the fight against them also powerfully reinforced.

Yet the fight is not over, as al-Qaeda could still inspire young disaffected British Muslims such as those of the Walthamstow cell and who can operate through proxies in the UK. Although the key protagonists in this latest case are safely behind bars and now likely awaiting a retrial, they remain part of a British-born network estimated by the British security services to number several hundred dedicated individuals each nursing similar grievances against the UK.

Ronan Thomas is a British correspondent.

(Copyright 2008 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)


Al-Qaeda plays dealbreaker in Pakistan (Dec 19,'07)

India running out of patience (Aug 17,'08)


1. A comedy of areas

2. US's 'good' war hits Pakistan hard

3. Paulson placates China, Russia for now

4. US warned over raids in Pakistan

5. When success is failure in Iraq

6. Uncomfortable anniversary in Vietnam

7. Hindu gods spike Chinese dragon

8. Seeing doubles in Dear Leader's no-show

(24 hours to 11:59pm ET, Sep 9, 2008)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2008 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110