WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



     
     Apr 16, 2011


<IT WORLD>
Google sows concern
By Martin J Young

HUA HIN, Thailand - Google co-founder Larry Page made his first earnings announcement this week, days after taking the chief executive helm from Eric Schmidt, and left investors uncomfortably spooked.

First-quarter profit rose 18% to US$2.3 billion as revenue gained 27%, amid higher operating costs. The company hired more workers in the period, devoted more resources to research and development and increased marketing spending.

Page's announcement that he would add 6,200 employees this year after signing up 2,000 in January left investors concerned as to the direction the new CEO is taking the world's most profitable

 
technology company. At the end of March Google had 26,316 workers.

Media-shy Page said little during his short conference call aside from expressing his optimism about the company's future, leaving a trail of questions by analysts and investors to be handled by other Google executives.

Expenses are likely to be driven up further as Google competes with rivals such as Facebook and Apple. Salary increases of 10% for existing staff, aimed at helping to ensure their loyalty, will add further to operating costs, which including payroll jumped 55% in the quarter from a year earlier to $2.84 billion.

Narrowing margins helped to encourage a sell-off in Google shares, which fell 5.4% to a six-month low of $547 following the announcement.

Facebook had its own issues to deal with this week when New York businessman Paul Ceglia filed new court documents that included e-mails purportedly from company co-founder Mark Zuckerberg bolstering Ceglia's claim to 50% of the company.

Ceglia said in his original lawsuit filed last year that he had entered into a contract in 2003 to design and develop Facebook, which is now worth an estimated $50 billion. Recent e-mails indicate that he invested $1,000 in the project, which gave him a 50% stake. The dialogue between the two discusses business plans, revenue ideas and domain names for the fledgling social network. Zuckerberg claims Ceglia's e-mails are fraudulent.

Zuckerberg has been in and out of court several times over the past six years to battle a number of contenders staking claims in the company, including Harvard contemporaries Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss. The twins claimed the idea for a social network was stolen from them by Zuckerberg, who in 2008 settled with them and a number of claimants.

Security
Microsoft's "patch Tuesday" - the second Tuesday of the month - has come round again and the world's largest software company seems to be trying to better itself by issuing even more than previously. Microsoft's bug-fix cycle rolled out 17 security updates to fix a staggering 64 vulnerabilities within its code, making this patch Tuesday the largest yet.

The most important fixes targeted a flaw in Internet Explorer that was exploited in a hacking contest last month. IE 8 and earlier versions of the world's most popular web browser were affected. If exploited, remote code execution and malware installation by hackers would be possible on an unpatched machine.

Of the 17 patches, nine were rated as critical and eight important; all supported versions of Windows were affected along with the Office productivity suite. It is a small wonder that so many people still use IE considering its constant need for patching and vulnerability on the web. There are plenty of safer alternatives out there.

Hardware
Chip giant Intel has launched a new range of smaller, low-power processors designed specifically for tablet devices. The Oak Trail is the latest version of its predecessor chip, the Atom. It boasts significant performance boosts, increased battery saving capabilities, and advances in technology for viewing high-definition video on mobile devices.

The market is dominated by Cambridge, United Kingdom-based ARM Holdings, whose processors are commonplace in smart phones and tablets. One drawback with some of the ARM designs, such as the Nvidia Tegra, is the inability to run Windows. Intel's 45 nanometer Oak Trail will support Windows 7, Google's new Chrome OS and Android, among others.

Microsoft has stated that it will be introducing ARM support for the next release of Windows, slated for 2012.

Intel are entering a new market and the road ahead will be a tough one, although the company has shown previously that it has the right stuff and is not the world's largest chip maker for nothing.

The company has also teamed up with memory manufacturer Micron to introduce 20 nanometer versions of NAND flash memory, which is commonly used in mobile devices and solid state drives. The smaller manufacturing process means that the physical space occupied by the chips can be reduced by 30-40%.

An 8-gigabyte memory cell has already been produced and is being tested with a view to being launched later this year. Larger-capacity chips will follow.

Martin J Young is an Asia Times Online correspondent based in Thailand.

(Copyright 2011 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)


<IT WORLD>

 

 
 


 

All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2011 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110