WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



     
     Aug 6, 2011


The danger within
By Martin J Young

HUA HIN, Thailand - In a campaign that lasted over five years, hackers infiltrated and raided computer systems of international corporations, governments, Olympic committees and the United Nations. Internet security companies have released reports this week implicating China once again in what could be one of the largest cyber-attacks ever discovered.

Server logs analyzed by California-based McAfee reported that over 72 companies, governments and groups in 14 countries had been targeted and hacked. The source of the incursions has been traced to servers in at least two of China’s major cities, Beijing and Shanghai. The operation, dubbed Shady RAT (remote access tool), has resulted in an unprecedented transfer of wealth, according to McAfee vice president Dmitri Alperovitch.

The victims of the cyber-attack were widespread and ranged from South Korean steel companies to US real estate companies to

 
multinational oil companies, news organizations, defense contractors, Asian and Western national Olympic committees and Canadian government departments.

Several networks of automated remote software systems originating in China have been discovered over the past couple of years by Google and various Internet security research companies. Chinese telecoms companies were cooperative in assisting with the location of the source of the attacks; however, government officials repeatedly rebuff accusations of cyber-espionage implicating the People's Republic.

An account of McAfee's investigation in Vanity Fair, which claimed an exclusive on the story, said perhaps more troubling than the attacks was the reluctance of many victims, including the World Anti-doping Agency, to accept they had been attacked, sometimes rejecting offers of assistance from McAfee.

"We've seen this before," Alperovitch told Vanity Fair. "Victims don’t want to know they're victims."

Last August, chip giant Intel agreed to pay US$7.7 billion to acquire McAfee - a 60% premium over McAfee's share price.

Internet
Search engine and browser statistics released this week show little change from recent trends between the top players. Microsoft has been pumping millions of dollars into its search engine Bing to catch the runaway train Google. Last month gave the software giant something to smile about as Bing climbed to a 14.1% US market share in June from 11% the previous month, according to industry analyst ComScore.

Google continues to pull away though with an increase of 4.6% to 65.5% market share in June. Both companies have made gains at the expense of Yahoo, which continues to slide and remained at 15.9% for the month. Microsoft's partnership with Yahoo sees it in control of almost 30% of the search market, although that is still less than half of Google's slice.

The company is looking at ways of changing the way people search and getting away from the traditional "ten blue links" that have powered Google into the lead. Balancing the books is proving to be tough; for the latest fiscal year that ended in June, Microsoft's online services division, mainly the search business, lost $2.56 billion. The unit’s revenue rose 15%, to $2.53 billion, however the losses still outweighed the gains.

Among browsers there was little change, with Internet Explorer and Firefox both dropping less than a percentage point and Chrome and Safari both gaining a fraction. July ended with Internet Explorer down just under 1% to 52.81% and Firefox down 0.19 points to 21.48%. Chrome and Safari both made small gains, of 0.34 and 0.57 points, to 13.45% and 8.05%, respectively. Opera remained the same with 1.65%.

If the trend continues, Internet Explorer will lose the majority market share by the end of the year but it will still remain the most popular web browser. Version adoption is also slow in the Microsoft camp as 15.5% of Internet users are still on IE 6 or 7 and the majority, 29.3%, are using IE 8. The fact that IE 9 does not work with Windows XP, which is still used by 49.84% of web users, probably exacerbates this problem.

Mozilla is putting out a quicker version of Firefox, but a large proportion of users, which may well be enterprises, are still sticking to version 3.6, which remains supported and patched. Firefox 6 will be released sometime later this month.

Telecoms
Research In Motion is releasing five new Blackberry smart phones this week. An injection of excitement into its product range has been long overdue and the new touch screen models running the latest Blackberry 7 mobile OS could well provide it.

The new BlackBerry Bold 9900 and 9930 phones feature a 2.4 inch touch screen sitting on top of a full physical keyboard. They are the sleekest units to date from RIM, each measuring 0.41 of an inch in thickness. Technical specifications include a 5 megapixel camera, 8 gigabytes of storage (expandable via memory card), and 1.2Ghz processors.

Also in the lineup are two new Blackberry Torch 9850 and 9860 models, which will compete directly with the iPhone. They are full touch screen only and feature a 3.7-inch display with a resolution of 800 by 480, with Flash and 720p High Definition video recording.

The largest global launch of Blackberry smart phones in company history will see the new handsets become available to over 200 carriers worldwide by the end of the year.

Martin J Young is an Asia Times Online correspondent based in Thailand.

(Copyright 2011 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)


<IT WORLD>


1.
A secret war in 120 countries

2. A revolving CIA door in Pakistan

3. Deep-sea mining stirs risk concerns

4. US business guru loses Afghan battle

5. China averts collision in South China Sea

6. Shallow agreement in the South China Sea

7. Rebels take high ground in western Libya

8. Japan at peace with China cash

9. Engineer dismantles facade of Japan's nuclear industry

10. A spaghetti mess in the rice bowl

(24 hours to 11:59pm ET, Aug 4, 2011)

 
 


 

All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2011 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110