WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese




     
     Sep 1, 2012


<IT WORLD>
Pay day for Apple
By Martin J Young

HUA HIN, Thailand - Last week's crushing US court ruling to award Apple with just over US$1 billion in damages after the jury decided that Samsung copied the iPhone has resulted in a flurry of demands for product bans and potential appeals from the two tech giants.

The judge presiding over the epic case has set a December 6 date to hear Apple's request for a permanent injunction against Samsung smart-phones in the US. The hearing for preliminary injunctions against eight devices Apple identified for patent violation has been scheduled for September 20.

Samsung issued a statement claiming that it would fight the decision using all necessary measures. An appeal could take at

 

least a year to be heard, by which time all the smart-phones and tablets in question would have been replaced by newer models and technology.

A company spokesman said the options included filing to stop the injunction, appealing if the judge grants it, and modifying products. Samsung has workarounds for two patents that relate to technology built into the Galaxy S II. The latest model, Galaxy S III, and the Galaxy Note series were not included in the ban.

The primary points of contention in the verdict involved "Trade Dress", which is a non-tangible asset that covers the look of a product so that it is unmistakable to consumers. The jury was convinced that there was customer confusion between the two products and that Samsung willfully copied Apple's Trade Dress, which damaged the US company's sales.

The actual number of consumers who purchased a smart-phone thinking it was an Apple only to realize it was a Samsung when they got home cannot be quantified. Analysts at Global Equities Research claimed that the verdict actually boosted Samsung's sales as consumers rushed to buy the Galaxy S III and many outlets across the US sold out of them over the past week.

Samsung smart-phones already collectively outsold Apple's by over 20 million units for the second quarter and the company has a 32.6% global market share compared with Apple's 16.9% for the period.

Google will need to take a closer look at its Android operating system since it is highly likely that Apple, buoyed by its recent victory, will be gunning for them next. Android played a key role in the legal battle as it drives sales of Samsung smart-phones; Apple lawyers have already begun highlighting similarities between Android and iOS. Google will no doubt be seeking to acquire more mobile patents to build up an arsenal against the phalanx of legal muscle from Apple.

Another victor from the outcome could be Microsoft, if vendors such as Lenovo, Huawei, LG, ZTE, and HTC shy away from Google and Android for fear of being sued by Apple they may turn to Microsoft and its totally non-Apple-like Windows 8 mobile platform instead.

Samsung wasted no time showcasing two new Microsoft aligned products this week including a 10.1 inch tablet running Windows RT and a 4.8 inch smart-phone with Windows 8. In a statement Samsung said it is "committed to offering more choices based on the Windows 8 platform for consumers". Evidently it is has already begun to reduce its heavy dependence on Google and Android.

Ultimately though consumers will be the ones to suffer as smart-phone and tablet prices potentially increase and software changes and limitations begin to creep into the Android platform. The court ruling made it clear that mobile manufacturers will need to be a lot more careful when it comes to designing their devices. Time wasted on workarounds to avoid the wrath of Apple will result in less spent on innovation and new tech.

The industry may be poised to break free from the traditional rectangular slab form factor and rows of grid based icons but if Apple gets there first with the next big thing the range of choice for consumers will be minimal and costly at best.

Hardware
Advanced Micro Devices is taking steps to bridge the gap between x86 and ARM architecture with the hope to develop a platform that allows software to run on both systems. Earlier this year the company said it would combine its x86 processor with ARM's Cortex-A5 processor to create a single chip for desktop PCs and tablets.

Chief technology officer, Mark Papermaster, said AMD wants to work with the industry to develop a common specification that makes it easier to mix and match CPUs, graphics processors, accelerators and other processing units.

Hewlett Packard unveiled the first Windows 8 touch-screen laptop at an event in San Francisco this week. The world's largest computer maker announced new products that included the Spectre TouchSmart Ultrabook with a 15.6 inch high-definition screen, and the hybrid laptop tablet Envy x2, which features a detachable touch screen. Pricing has yet to be announced for the devices as Microsoft has yet to reveal its pricing for the similar Surface tablet computer.

Martin J Young is an Asia Times Online correspondent based in Thailand.

(Copyright 2012 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)





<IT WORLD>


1.
Morsi delivers his calling card

2. Egypt joins China club

3. The remapping of the Middle East

4. How quickly will the US leave Afghanistan?

5. Mitt's secret weapon may keep bombing

6. Old allies, new dynamics in US pivot

7. Tehran jumps to Assad's rescue

8. Indonesia short of naval muscle

9. China's cash: Take it or lose it

10. North Korea on the Nile

(24 hours to 11:59pm ET, Aug 30, 2012)

 
 


 

All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2012 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110