Search Asia Times

Advanced Search

 
Middle East

When sovereignty does not mean security
By Aaron Glantz

BAGHDAD - A United States military helicopter flies over the municipal building in the predominantly Shi'ite Baghdad neighborhood Kadamiya. A US-trained Iraqi soldier stands guard.

The guard says he signed up in the new Iraqi army to keep Baghdad safe from looters and thieves, but that if the Mahdi Army of Shi'ite leader Muqtada al-Sadr, who has taken on the US, tries to take the municipal building, he will abandon his post. He even carries a photograph of Muqtada and his father Ayatollah Mohammed Sadik al-Sadr in his wallet.

Such is the widespread problem the US faces in trying to recruit a reliable security force. Indeed, US Secretary of State Colin Powell admitted as much on Monday, saying that the still undefined interim government due to take power in Iraq on June 30 would have to give back some sovereignty to US-led forces.

"I hope [Iraqis] will understand that in order for this government to get up and running - to be effective - some of its sovereignty will have to be given back, if I can put it that way, or limited by them," Powell told the Reuters news agency. "It is with the understanding that they need our help and for us to provide that help we have to be able to operate freely, which in some ways infringes on what some would call full sovereignty," he said.

In its ongoing operations against Sunnis in Fujallah and Shi'ites in Najaf, the US has had problems of supporting Iraqi soldiers either defecting, or simply refusing to fight.

In the latest developments, US military command says that its forces killed 43 Iraqis in fighting near Najaf. About 2,500 US troops are poised outside Najaf, where an uprising led by Muqtada began three weeks ago.

In the Sunni triangle flashpoint of Fallujah, coalition officials said insurgents failed to meet Tuesday's deadline to turn in their heavy weapons. No weapons at all were turned in during the past day.

This week, US officials acknowledged that half of its Iraqi army refused to fight when US Marines began a massive assault on Fallujah April 5. "Forty percent walked off the job because they were intimidated, and 10 percent actually worked against us," Major-General Martin Dempsey said. Reuters reports the US military has thrown 200 Iraqi servicemen in prison after they refused to participate in the attack on Fallujah.

"It's kind of a revolution," Majid al-Samarai, columnist for an Iraqi newspaper and former TV talk-show host during Saddam Hussein's regime told IPS. "It's kind of a reaction to what the Americans didn't know about. They made a very big mistake in Fallujah. They try to say they were fighting foreign Arabs and terrorists like [Jordanian Abu Musab al-]Zarqawi but they were not - just regular Iraqis in their houses who were tired of the occupation."

But while Arab sections of the new US-trained Iraqi army defect in droves, the US has still been able to count on support from former members of Iraq's Kurdish guerrilla armies, the Peshmerga, who fought Saddam's regime for years before allying themselves with the Bush administration in last year's war.

"We are not going to fight Arab people," says Abullah Fermande, a division commander for the Peshmerga of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan. "We are going to stop terrorism. They may have the opposite idea, but we are not fighting the Arabs in Fallujah and in Najaf. We have so many friends there. But sometimes you see the terrorists are radical Arabs and they want to do terrible things in Kurdistan and everywhere else."

Like many of his fellow Kurds, Fermande says he has a debt to pay to the US for overthrowing Saddam. "He was the worst kind of dictator," the commander says, "and now we have a real chance for freedom and democracy in Iraq. That's something worth fighting for."

But US officials like chief US administrator L Paul Bremer are beginning to have second thoughts about their hard stand against the apparatus of Saddam's regime. Faced with increasing defections from the Iraqi army, Bremer announced on Friday he was easing the ban on top members of Saddam's former Ba'ath Party.

"The [interim] minister of defense informs me that he intends to have a meeting with vetted senior officers from the former regime next week to discuss how best to build the new Iraqi military establishment," Bremer said in a televised address. "More of these officers with honorable records - from the former army and elsewhere - will serve in the months ahead as your new army grows."

Bremer clearly has a long way to go in constituting a new Iraqi army. Even before this month's defections, the Iraqi army numbered only about 6,000, with 32,450 serving in the paramilitary Iraqi Civil Defense Corps. That is fairly small compared to the 350,000-member military Bremer dismissed when he arrived in Baghdad last May.

(Inter Press Service)


Apr 28, 2004



Horror and humiliation in Fallujah
(Apr 27, '04)

Deadline looming, US forces the issue
(Apr 27, '04)

Starting from square one
(Apr 27, '04)

Bush's 'transfer of power' gambit
(Apr 23, '04)

 

 
   
         
No material from Asia Times Online may be republished in any form without written permission.
Copyright 2003, Asia Times Online, 4305 Far East Finance Centre, 16 Harcourt Rd, Central, Hong Kong