Search Asia Times

Advanced Search

 
Middle East

Sovereignty and Saddam
By Jeffrey Donovan

Monday's violence in Baghdad, in which a car bomb blew up near a convoy of vehicles in the center of the city, killing at least 12 people, including five foreign nationals, follows a bloody weekend in which two top Iraqi ministry officials, a prominent Kurdish cleric and a university professor were killed in attacks that appear to be part of a new wave of targeted killings aimed at destabilizing the foundations of Iraq's new interim government.

US Secretary of State Colin Powell warned that Iraq could be in for a bloody summer as insurgents try to undermine the interim government before and after it officially assumes power from Washington in a handover of sovereignty scheduled for June 30. "They are going after these courageous leaders who have stepped forward, but that's not something to give them credit for," Powell said. "They are murderers and they're trying to murder people who are trying to serve the Iraqi people, and they cannot be allowed to succeed."

Talking of handovers, Iraqi interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi says the United States will hand over former Iraq leader Saddam Hussein and all other detainees to Iraq's new government over the next two weeks as sovereignty is restored. Allawi told the Arab satellite network alJazeera that Saddam would be handed over to the Iraqis and that the trial will start as soon as possible. "The trial [of Saddam] will start as soon as possible. The handover will happen in the most transparent way. Saddam will be handed over to the Iraqi government," he said.

But unnamed Pentagon officials said they were not aware of any immediate such plans.

A US official in Baghdad said recently that as many as 1,400 detainees would be either released or transferred to Iraqi authorities. But he said the US would continue to hold up to 5,000 prisoners deemed a threat to the coalition.

Iraq has been a major security challenge in the first two weeks of June, with more than 15 car bombings already and attacks on coalition forces numbering between near 40 a day.

On Sunday, a top official in Iraq's Education Ministry - Kamal al-Jarrah, director general for cultural relations - was shot dead as he left his home in Baghdad. The attack came a day after gunmen killed deputy foreign minister Bassam Salih Kubba, Iraq's most senior career diplomat. Sabri al-Bayyati, a Baghdad University professor, was gunned down on Saturday; Sheikh Iyad Kurshid Abd al-Razzak, a prominent Kurdish cleric in the northern city of Kirkuk, was shot and killed the same day.

The attacks undermine the confidence of ordinary Iraqis in the government. Hamad al-Bayyati, a senior Iraqi diplomat, said: "When colleagues are assassinated, colleagues will refrain from contacts with the people. Our work will be harder."

Unlike government ministers, none of the four victims had bodyguards.

Analysts say insurgents may be targeting middle-level figures simply because they lack adequate security. Hazem Saghie, senior political commentator for the London Arabic-language newspaper al-Hayat, said: "I think this is part and parcel of their strategy: to get rid not only of politicians and potential politicians, but to get rid of all the superior characters who can participate in the rebuilding of Iraq."

Powell reiterated Washington's will to defeat what he called "murderers" in Iraq but acknowledged that "it's hard to protect an entire government".

Last week, Deputy Health Minister Ammar al-Safar narrowly survived a drive-by shooting. The head of the disbanded Iraqi Governing Council, Abd al-Zahra Uthman Muhammad (aka Izz al-Din Salim), wasn't so lucky in May when he was killed in a car-bombing.

Washington has plans to train Iraqi forces to protect government officials, but according to media reports, they have yet to be put into effect.

Major-General Paul Eaton, the US official charged with training Iraq's armed forces, acknowledged recently that the country's 200,000-strong military was still unfit for service. "We've had almost one year of no progress," Eaton said early this month.

European diplomats monitoring a separate program in Jordan to train Iraqi police report similar failings. The camp, which opened in November, was supposed to prepare 32,000 officers. But so far, the academy has graduated only 3,000 policemen, one-third of its target.

Given these shortcomings, US General Mark Kimmitt said in Baghdad that regardless of the June 30 transfer date, the presence of US forces in Iraq will be needed for some time to come. "We will not be pulling out of the cities. We will not be relocating. We certainly would like to see more and more Iraqi security forces at the lead," Kimmitt said.

To what extent the attacks can achieve their aim remains to be seen.

Lebanese commentator Saghie said the next few weeks in Iraq are likely to be intense as insurgents continue to target officials of the new government, which was formed at the start of June with input from the United Nations, the US-led coalition in Iraq, and the US-appointed Iraqi Governing Council.

But Saghie told Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty he believes Iraq's new government will be aided in its struggle by having some legitimacy in the eyes of Iraqis after the passage of a UN Security Council resolution on June 8. That resolution endorsed Washington's transfer of power to the interim government.

"The participation of the UN and, to a certain extent, Europe and the Arab world is going to give more legitimacy to the new political situation in Iraq. And by achieving this step, the terrorists would be more isolated, politically speaking," Saghie said.

Copyright 2004 RFE/RL Inc. Reprinted with the permission of  Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20036.


Jun 16, 2004



Kurds want autonomy, nothing less
(Jun 12, '04)

Drifting toward multi-polarity
(Jun 12, '04)

Bush just doesn't get it ...
(Jun 11, '04)

The dangers of a US civil-military divide (Jun 9, '04)

 

 
   
         
No material from Asia Times Online may be republished in any form without written permission.
Copyright 2003, Asia Times Online, 4305 Far East Finance Centre, 16 Harcourt Rd, Central, Hong Kong