Search Asia Times

Advanced Search

 
Middle East

Small victory in House of Saud's war
By Sudha Ramachandran

BANGALORE - Saudi authorities are describing their elimination last week of a senior al-Qaeda leader as a "major blow" to the organization in Saudi Arabia. However, analysts are suggesting that the reported blow might only be a dent in al-Qaeda's capacity and network in the kingdom.

On Friday, Saudi police killed Abdul Aziz al-Muqrin, the leader of al-Qaeda in the Arabian peninsula, and a few of his associates in a shootout in the capital Riyadh. Al-Muqrin and his associates were wanted for the beheading of Paul Johnson, an American engineer working in Riyadh who had been taken hostage earlier.

At the time of his death, al-Muqrin topped the Saudi government's list of wanted men. Besides the beheading of Johnson, al-Muqrin was believed to have been responsible for the suicide bombing of a Riyadh housing compound in November 2003, in which 17 people were killed; a suicide car bombing of the Riyadh police headquarters in April that killed four; the May 1 attack on offices of a petrochemical facility at Yanbu, where five Westerners were killed, and the May 29 hostage-taking and massacre of about 22 expatriates in Khobar.

Al-Muqrin's death is a loss to al-Qaeda's Saudi operations as he had on-the-field experience in Afghanistan, Algeria, Bosnia and Somalia, as well as considerable familiarity with gunrunning. The attacks he is said to have led were hugely successful in causing panic and terror among the expatriates in the country, prompting thousands of Westerners to flee Saudi Arabia over the past month. His elimination by the Saudi security forces can be expected to erode the morale of al-Qaeda's cadres.

But al-Muqrin's elimination is just as likely to spur them to greater acts of terror to avenge his death. Analysts are pointing out that his demise is not as big a blow to al-Qaeda's capacity as the Saudi government claims. Al-Muqrin became the leader of al-Qaeda in Saudi Arabia barely three months ago. It appears that he was a well-known face in the kingdom; consequently he was made al-Qaeda's "public face", the organization's charismatic figurehead.

Analysts at Stratfor Intelligence have described him as "the face, not the brain ... important but replaceable". It appears that the public face of al-Qaeda in Saudi Arabia is not the one who calls the shots. There are other, more senior figures in al-Qaeda's Saudi network who really run the show. And they, unlike al-Muqrin, work in the shadows.

One such person who has worked in the shadows so far is al-Muqrin's successor, Saleh al-Oufi. A former police officer, al-Oufi is being described as a far more formidable enemy than al-Muqrin. A report in the al-Hayat newspaper describes al-Oufi as "the most dangerous" of al-Qaeda's lieutenants left alive in Saudi Arabia.

According to the Washington-based Saudi Institute, "Al-Oufi might be more dangerous than al-Muqrin because he comes from the security ranks [and therefore knows the workings of the Saudi police and prisons] and is a Hijazi from the holy city of Madina, so can recruit from the most economically depressed areas of Saudi Arabia - the outskirts of Madina, the countryside of the Hijaz, and the southwestern Asir region. Al-Oufi might also be a more effective al-Qaeda leader because he is older, has spent more time in the country, and is more familiar with al-Qaeda's network in Saudi Arabia as he was one of those who built it."

But it is not so much the al-Qaeda leadership as its vast and intricate network and its ability to draw new recruits that Saudi authorities need to worry about more. Besides, the House of Saud is not doing enough to address the widespread discontent against its rule. It is this sea of discontent that is providing the al-Qaeda with its endless source of volunteers.

The al-Qaeda network in Saudi Arabia has been built up over several years. Its breadth and depth in the kingdom is said to be far greater than the authorities admit. Some analysts, such as Adel al-Torafi, believe that with "a lot of the al-Qaeda leadership being killed" or jailed by the government's security forces, "there are fewer people to lead the attacks".

Indeed, about 600 militants are said to be languishing in jails and several top leaders of the Saudi al-Qaeda, including its chief of operations, Khaled Ali Ali Haj and now al-Muqrin, have been eliminated over the past year.

However, there seems to be no shortage of battle-hardened commanders to fill the void. And the flow of new recruits into the organization continues. While the Saudi government dismisses claims that the jihadis enjoy a fair amount of support in the kingdom, officials admit in private that the situation is worrying. They point to a recent secret government poll that showed 49% supported Osama bin Laden's ideas. His ideas of expelling infidels, ie Westerners, and overthrowing the House of Saud have huge appeal to the large pool of frustrated, unemployed youth in the kingdom.

After years of obfuscation and denial, the rulers are slowly waking up to the threat posed by jihadis. Several steps, including mass arrests, "re-education" of extremist clerics and tracking down the funding for terror groups have been taken over the past year. The US Council on Foreign Relations observed recently that in the past year, the Saudi government's steps to monitor money laundering and donations "meet or exceed international standards in many respects".

But given the extensive jihadi network in the kingdom, these steps are clearly not enough. The deep inroads that al-Qaeda has made into the Saudi security apparatus and the backing it continues to enjoy from powerful sections in the ruling elite undermines any effort to crack down on the network.

Soon after the beheading of Johnson, the Saudi al-Qaeda gave an account of the kidnapping on its website. It claimed that it had been aided by Saudi security forces, who provided the militants with uniforms and helped them set up the roadblock at which Johnson was stopped and taken hostage.

The Saudi government has denied such collusion. It is possible that the Saudi al-Qaeda might be exaggerating to undermine the credibility of the Saudi government and to deepen the anxiety of expatriates over the extent to which the security forces in the kingdom have been penetrated by al-Qaeda.

But this is not the first time that collusion between the two has come to light. Government officials cite security spending, which has increased by 50% over the past two years to show how serious the Saudi government is about fighting jihadis. But the effort to fight them seems lopsided, as the pace of political reforms has been excruciatingly slow.

Sections within the Saudi ruling establishment appear to have realized that political and socio-economic reform is urgently needed to combat the jihadis, and they have shown more openness to change. However, political activists demanding democratic reform point out that most of the reforms remain mere promises and are yet to be implemented. Besides, the House of Saud seems more scared of the democracy advocates than of the jihadis.

It has used the "war on terrorism" to fight democracy advocates. Several of the "terrorists" who languish in jails are in fact political activists, according to rights groups. Unless the Saudi government mounts a sustained campaign on all fronts, including reforming itself, the gains from eliminating individual jihadis, while good for propaganda, will remain limited.

(Copyright 2004 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact content@atimes.com for information on our sales and syndication policies.)


Jun 26, 2004



New dimension of terror
(Jun 24, '04)

Saudi Arabia and Pakistan: Grim choices
(Jun 22, '04)

Saudi Arabia and 'creeping militancy'
(Jun 10, '04)

 

 
   
         
No material from Asia Times Online may be republished in any form without written permission.
Copyright 2003, Asia Times Online, 4305 Far East Finance Centre, 16 Harcourt Rd, Central, Hong Kong