Search Asia Times

Advanced Search

 
Middle East

Missing explosives add fuel to Iraqi fire
By Robert McMahon

NEW YORK - For the second time this month, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has notified the United Nations Security Council about the loss of sensitive weapons material formerly under its supervision in Iraq, an issue that has made its way onto the US presidential campaign trail. IAEA director Muhammad el-Baradei sent the Security Council a letter this week alerting it to a message from the Iraqi Ministry of Science and Technology.

The ministry reported that more than 340 metric tons of highly explosive material - known as HMX, RDX, and PETN - had been stolen. HMX is powerful enough to ignite the fissile material in an atomic bomb and set off a nuclear chain reaction. HMX and RDX are also key components in powerful plastic explosives such as C-4 and Semtex. The ministry's message to the IAEA said the material was looted after April 9, 2003, "due to lack of security".

The material was sealed and tagged by the IAEA at the al-Qaqaa military facility prior to the US-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003. Agency spokeswoman Melissa Fleming told reporters that the whereabouts of the material is unknown.

"This isn't the first time that the IAEA has reported that material or equipment under IAEA watch had been looted or gone missing. In fact, just two weeks ago Dr el-Baradei reported to the Security Council that on many sites we had observed whole buildings being stripped completely and dismantled and the contents within having gone missing," Fleming said.

The first report to the Security Council was based on agency monitoring of Iraq mainly through satellite surveillance. US officials said at the time they had taken measures to improve security, helping Iraqi officials put new controls in place prohibiting the export of items related to weapons of mass destruction (WMD).

US State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said it has been a challenge to safeguard Iraq's many weapons sites. "We, from the very beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom, did everything we could to secure arms caches throughout the country. But given the number of arms and the number of caches and the extent of militarization of Iraq, it was impossible to provide 100% security for 100% of the sites," Ereli said.

The latest report was made public by the agency following an article about the missing explosives in Monday's New York Times citing Iraqi, US, and UN officials. Bush administration officials have since stressed that no nuclear material was involved, but said they are treating the report seriously.

But weapons experts say the explosive material stored at al-Qaqaa was widely known to be part of Iraq's nuclear program.

"That was [the Iraqis'] premier site for designing implosion devices, and they were certainly using these materials to do that. And that's where the experts were. So that was a site that everybody knew about and that should have been a high priority for securing," said Gary Milhollin, director of the Wisconsin Project on Nuclear Arms Control, a US-based foundation that works to prevent the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.

David Kay, the former chief US weapons inspector in Iraq, said that the ongoing Iraqi insurgency is being "fueled" by such incidents.

"The insurgency has been fueled by Iraqi explosives that were there and left unguarded at the end of the war and that the insurgents took [away]," Kay said.

In el-Baradei's first report to the Security Council this month, he reminded states of their obligation to inform the IAEA about changes at sensitive sites under agency review. The letter to the IAEA by Muhammad Abbas of Iraq's Ministry of Science and Technology said: "We feel an urgent updating of the registered materials is required."

The report of the missing explosives comes just one week ahead of the US presidential election. The main challenger to US President George W Bush is Democrat John Kerry, who used the report to portray the administration as dangerously unprepared to cope with the challenges in Iraq.

"In May of this year, the administration was warned that terrorists may be helping themselves to, quote - this was the warning - 'the greatest explosives bonanza in history'. And now we know that our country and our troops are less safe because this president failed to do the basics. This is one of the great additional blunders of Iraq," Kerry said.

The IAEA left Iraq ahead of the US-led war to oust Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and has returned for two limited visits. The UN body responsible for monitoring Iraq's other WMD efforts - the United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission (UNMOVIC) - has not returned to Iraq since the war, although it continues to conduct surveillance of the country. The UN Security Council is due to decide on the future role of the two organizations in Iraq but has no immediate plans to do so.

Meanwhile, criticism of the US's handling of Iraq has come from an unlikely source, Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi.

Allawi is blaming US-led coalition forces for negligence in their handling of security for 49 Iraqi National Guardsmen killed recently in an ambush after leaving a training center. Allawi called the killings of the unarmed soldiers "a heinous crime" and accused coalition forces of "great negligence". He did not elaborate.

Islamic militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's group claimed responsibility for the attack, which took place on a remote highway in eastern Iraq when the US-trained soldiers were returning home on leave last Sunday. The buses had no armed escort and the soldiers were not carrying weapons.

Allawi told the Iraqi National Council that the government expects an escalation in terrorist acts ahead of January's scheduled elections. Interior Minister Falah Hassan al-Naqib said Tuesday that more than 560 people have been killed in 92 suicide attacks in Iraq in the past four months.

Separately, an aide to al-Zarqawi was reportedly killed on Tuesday in a US air strike in Fallujah, but the military has yet to identify the person.

The US has carried out almost-daily raids and air strikes on Fallujah since stepping up an operation in the city on October 14, with the aim of tracking down al-Zarqawi's network and taking back the city from rebel control before the elections scheduled for January.

In related news, Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said Japan won't yield to terrorism or withdraw its troops from Iraq, in response to reports a group led by al-Zarqawi have kidnapped a Japanese man. The group claims to have abducted the Japanese national and will behead him unless Japan's Self-Defense Force troops leave Iraq, Arab television network al-Jazeera reported on its website.

Japan has about 600 soldiers based in Iraq, in what is the first Japanese overseas military deployment under its own flag since World War II. The troops are distributing aid and rebuilding roads and other infrastructure.

(RFE/RL's Ryan Gallagher contributed to this report.)

Copyright (c) 2004, RFE/RL Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington DC 20036


Oct 28, 2004
Asia Times Online Community



Iraqi forces short on security
(Oct 20, '04)

Zarqawi - Bush's man for all seasons
(Oct 15, '04)

Missing in action in Iraq
(Oct 14, '04)

 

 
   
         
No material from Asia Times Online may be republished in any form without written permission.
Copyright 2003, Asia Times Online, 4305 Far East Finance Centre, 16 Harcourt Rd, Central, Hong Kong