Fallujah, Iraq's Tora
Bora By B Raman
Since
1995, when the first incident of jihadi terrorism took
place in Saudi Arabia, there have been 25 acts of
terrorism there. [1]
Only four of the 25 terrorist strikes, including
the one of December 6 this year, were
in Jeddah. The
rest took place elsewhere, mostly in
Riyadh, in the center
of the country, or nearby. The first incident of jihadi
terrorism in Jeddah took place this August, when
terrorists, suspected to be from al-Qaeda, opened fire
on a vehicle of the US Consulate without causing any
fatal casualties. This was followed by the murder of a
Frenchman in September and an
incident of exchange of fire between the Saudi
security forces and a group of terrorists in November,
in which the security forces claimed to have killed one.
At least nine people were killed in a daring
attack by a group of jihadi terrorists on the beachfront
building of the US Consulate at Jeddah on December 6.
According to official accounts of the incident from
Saudi authorities, the terrorists followed an official
consulate car into the complex, firing guns and hurling
grenades to force entry. No US diplomats were killed,
but the jihadi terrorists burned the US flag and set fire
to one of the buildings. A Saudi official was quoted as
saying, "The attackers took a chance while a consular
car was going in, so the door was open. They threw
grenades at the guards at the gate and stormed through.
They had no access inside the consulate itself as they
were kept to the perimeter."
According to Saudi authorities,
five non-American employees of the consulate
and four of the terrorists, who managed to penetrate
the outer security perimeter of the consulate, were
killed during the terrorist strike and the subsequent
exchange of fire with the Saudi security forces,
who intervened to rescue those taken hostage by the
terrorists. While the Saudi reaction after the terrorists
had penetrated the consulate was swift and effective,
the authorities were apparently clueless about the
presence of the terrorists in Jeddah and their careful
preparations for the attack.
This
was the second attack directed against a US
diplomatic mission abroad since the explosions outside the US
embassies in Nairobi and Dar-es-Salaam in 1998. The earlier one,
in the form of a car bomb, was staged by
the Pakistani dregs of the International Islamic Front (IIF),
who had escaped from Tora Bora in Afghanistan, outside
the US Consulate in Karachi in June 2002, but it
failed to cause any damage to the consulate or any loss
of American lives.
A Saudi Interior Ministry
statement released after last week's incident said that five
members of a "deviant group" - its term for al-Qaeda
sympathizers - hurled bombs as a diplomatic vehicle was
driving into the compound, set fire to one of the
buildings and attacked people on the site. Saudi
security forces rushed to the scene and surrounded the
terrorists, killing three on the spot and wounding two
others, one of whom later died in a hospital.
The statement identified three of the slain
terrorists as Fayez bin Awwad al-Jeheni, Eid bin
Dakhilallah al-Jeheni and Hassan bin Hamed al-Hazmi,
none of whom was on a most-wanted list of suspected
al-Qaeda sympathizers issued by the authorities a year
ago. "The identity of the fourth, who is wounded, must
not be divulged for the sake of the [public] interest,
and procedures are under way to establish the identity
of the fifth person, who died in the incident," the
statement said. According to it, all the four identified
terrorists were Saudi nationals.
The
responsibility for the attack has been claimed by
al-Qaeda of the Arabian Peninsula, which had also
claimed responsibility for previous terrorist strikes
this year in Saudi Arabia. A statement disseminated by
it through the Internet said, "Your brothers of the
squadron of the martyr Abu Annas al-Shami stormed one of
the bastions of the American crusaders in the Arabian
Peninsula, in Jeddah. They were able to withdraw from
the consulate and reach a safe place, after losing two
martyrs, who covered the retreat of the mujahideen,
three of whom were wounded and are being treated. Your
brothers managed to kill nine people in the consulate,
including two Americans and seven soldiers of the
tyrannical [Saudi] regime, and wounded dozens more."
It also said they seized
"telecommunications equipment, light arms, sophisticated
electronic equipment and important documents" and
promised to release more details of what it called
"Operation Conquest of Fallujah". "This operation is one
of the series of operations carried out by the al-Qaeda
organization in their war against the crusaders and the
Jews to chase the infidels out of the Arabian
peninsula," it said.
Abu Annas al-Shami is the
kuniyat (assumed name) of Omar Youssef
Jumah, a Jordanian cleric said to be of Chechen origin,
who was reportedly killed in a US air strike in
the Baghdad region on September 22. He was projected as
the spiritual guide of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi and
his al-Tawhid wal-Jihad (Unity and Holy War) group,
which was active in the Fallujah area until November. He had
entered Iraq from Jordan last year and had in a
fatwa (edict) justified the beheading of hostages
by the members of the group.
From time to time,
Saudi authorities claim to have broken the back of the
terrorists. Despite this, the anti-regime and anti-US
motivation of the terrorists remains as strong as ever.
As in Pakistan, in Saudi Arabia, too, there have been
reports of sections of the intelligence and security
establishment being sympathetic to jihadi terrorists.
The terrorists look on Saudi Arabia as the
rear base for their operations against the US-led
occupation troops in Iraq. The immediate priority of all
jihadi terrorist groups in the
Afghanistan-Pakistan-Saudi Arabia triangle is the continued bleeding of
the Americans in Iraq. As the Lashkar-e-Toiba leaders
keep pointing out during their recruitment and
fund-collection campaign for Iraq in the mosques and
madrassas (seminaries) of
Pakistan, Iraq has provided them with an opportunity to
defeat the only superpower in the world, just as they had
defeated the erstwhile USSR, the other superpower, in Afghanistan
in the 1980s. They keep stressing that they should not
miss this opportunity and that until they succeed they should
focus all their attention on Iraq. Even though the
overthrow of the Saudi regime and the capture of power
in Saudi Arabia continues to be an important aim of
theirs, they give it second priority after Iraq.
The Jeddah incident indicates that Fallujah has
become the Tora Bora of Iraq. Toward the end of 2001,
US troops thought they had cornered Osama bin Laden and
his followers in al-Qaeda and the IIF in the Tora Bora
mountainous area of Afghanistan. After having asked the
Pakistani army to seal the Pakistan-Afghanistan border
effectively to prevent their escaping into Pakistan,
they mounted an air and ground offensive to wipe out the
jihadi terrorists.
The operation was
unsuccessful. While some Pakistani and Southeast Asian
members of the IIF were killed in the US air
strikes, most of the Arab members of al-Qaeda, including
bin Laden and his No 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri, and a
large number of the Pakistani and Southeast Asia members
of the IIF managed to slip across the border into
Pakistan, with the connivance of Pakistani troops. The
Southeast Asian survivors escaped by sea to Bangladesh
and the Pakistani and Arab jihadis dispersed into small
groups and scattered across Pakistan. Some of the Arabs
moved across to Iran, Saudi Arabia and Yemen. The Uzbek,
Chechen and Uighur members took shelter in the South
Waziristan tribal area of Pakistan adjoining the border
with Afghanistan.
The dispersal of these dregs
across Asia led to a prairie fire of jihadi terrorism
across a wide arc in Asia, including many acts of
terrorism in Pakistani territory - three of them directed
against Americans, one against the French, three against
Pakistani President General Pervez Musharraf and one
each against his Corps Commander in Karachi and his
prime minister, Shaukat Aziz.
Just before the
US-led invasion and occupation of Iraq in March-April
last year, many of these dregs - including Pakistanis
belonging to the Harkat-ul-Mujahideen (HUM), the
Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LEJ) and the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LET),
Arabs belonging to al-Qaeda and other Arabs of Chechen
origin who were fighting in Afghanistan as members of
the Taliban - moved across to Iraq via Saudi Arabia and
Iran and took up position to start a jihad against the
US and allied troops - sometimes in tandem with the
Iraqi resistance fighters and, more often, independently.
Though al-Zarqawi is of Jordanian origin and has
been portrayed by the US as the leader of the foreign
terrorists operating in Iraq, there is reason to believe
that the foreign terrorists do not belong to a single
organic group. A number of autonomous groups of
different nationalities operate under individual leaders
of the same nationality, who have remained unidentified.
Periodic US claims of successes in its
counter-resistance operations directed against the Iraqi
resistance fighters and foreign terrorists have been
belied by the impunity and the audacity with which the
terrorists and the resistance fighters have been able to
operate all over the Sunni triangle and in Mosul. They
have a free run of even Baghdad, with the US troops
and the newly raised Iraqi army watching
helplessly.
There have over the past months been
an average of two suicide car bombs ever day in
different parts of the Sunni triangle, which is a very
large number. It speaks disturbingly of the continuing
high motivation of the terrorists and resistance
fighters and of the unending flow of volunteers to their
ranks for undertaking suicide missions.
Well-placed Iraqi sources claim that while most
of the suicide car explosions are being carried out by
non-Iraqi Arabs - the majority of them Saudis, Yemenis
and Arabs of Chechen origin - most of the ambushes,
sabotage operations, mortar shellings into the Green
Zone in Baghdad and elsewhere and attacks with hand-held
weapons are being carried out by Iraqi resistance
fighters, with the help of Pakistani ex-servicemen
belonging to the HUM, the LET and the LEJ. According to
the Iraqi sources, contrary to earlier reports, there
has been no Pakistani involvement in the suicide
bombings.
When the
Americans invaded Fallujah last month, after air strikes and heavy-artillery
shellings, they thought they had cornered a large
segment of the foreign terrorists headed by Zarqawi.
They had taken precautions to prevent a repeat of Tora
Bora there. They had asked the authorities of Saudi
Arabia, Jordan and Syria to prevent their taking shelter
in their territory and, with the help of the British and
other allied troops, set up barriers to prevent them
from scattering across the Sunni triangle.
Fallujah is an urban area different from the
mountainous Tora Bora area of Afghanistan, which
provided many caves and tunnels for shelter and escape
routes across the mountains into Pakistan. The air
strikes and the artillery shellings in Tora Bora were
ineffective against the dregs of al-Qaeda and the IIF.
Fallujah was tailor-made for successful air strikes
and artillery shellings. Despite this, Zarqawi and
a large number of Iraqi resistance fighters and
non-Iraqi terrorists managed to escape. While many
spread across the Sunni triangle, some managed to find
their way to Saudi Arabia to reinforce the ranks of
al-Qaeda there, which had suffered some attrition since
the beginning of the year due to killings by the Saudi
security forces, captures and some surrenders under
terms of an amnesty.
While the Tora Bora attack
was largely improvised at short notice and was not
preceded by publicity of the impending attack, the
Fallujah attack was preceded by weeks of publicity about
the impending operation, and this, too, enabled the
terrorists and the resistance fighters to peel off in
different directions even before the US offensive
started.
A hard core of indigenous resistance
fighters and foreign terrorists stayed behind to slow
down the advance of the US troops, thereby enabling
their jihadi comrades to escape. The well-placed Iraqi
sources mentioned above say that the escape of some of
the Saudi and Yemeni dregs into Saudi Arabia was made
possible by the complicity of Saudi border guards.
While the escalation of acts
of terrorism and other reprisal attacks in Mosul, Baghdad
and other Sunni areas was expected consequent upon the
dispersal of the dregs from Fallujah, the almost-successful
attack on the US Consulate in Jeddah on December 6 by
the dregs who had escaped into Saudi Arabia was
unexpected.
Notes:
|
Year |
No of
attacks |
Fatalities |
| 1995 |
1 |
7 |
| 1996 |
1 |
19 |
| 2000 |
3 |
1 |
| 2001 |
3 |
2 |
| 2002 |
2 |
2 |
| 2003 |
3 |
44 |
| 2004 |
11 |
40 |
B
Raman is additional secretary (retired),
cabinet secretariat, government of India, New Delhi, and
currently director, Institute for Topical studies,
Chennai, and distinguished fellow and convenor, Observer
Research Foundation (ORF), Chennai Chapter. E-mail: corde@vsnl.com.
(Copyright 2004 B Raman.)
|