WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
WSI
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    Middle East
     Dec 21, 2005
What to believe in the 'war on terror'?
By William Fisher and Jim Lobe

NEW YORK - Recent public opinion polls suggest increasing ambivalence, confusion and a lack of reliable information about the "war on terror".

Events over the past few days, topped by the revelation that President George W Bush ordered secret warrantless wiretaps of phone calls and emails of US citizens, are unlikely to reverse this trend.

What are people to believe?

US troops should withdraw from Iraq immediately. Or they should "stay the course". Some civil liberties must be sacrificed in order to make the country secure from terror threats. Or civil liberties



and security can both exist side by side. Torture of prisoners in US custody is never permissible. Or it is permissible under certain conditions. Former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein was linked to Osama bin Laden and the terror attacks of September 11, 2001. Or there was no connection.

The people's inability to get credible answers has led to their growing disapproval of both Congress and the president. In recent polling, disapproval of Congress hovers between 50-65%, while the president's overall approval rating is now at 42%, a rise of 4% since he began a series of speeches in November to rally support for the war in Iraq, but well within the margin of error.

As the US public struggles to understand pivotal questions related to the "war on terror" - a task made far more difficult by the "spin" routinely articulated by politicians - the Bush administration, Congress and the courts find themselves wrestling to resolve many of the same problems.

The president's wiretapping admission - and defense of it - came only a day after he refused to discuss the issue in an interview with Jim Lehrer of public television's Newshour. He insisted he had advised congressional leaders, but those who have spoken publicly thus far refute this assertion.

Congress established a law and a procedure back in the 1970s for law enforcement authorities to ask a special court to issue warrants. The court, reincarnated in the Patriot Act, is part of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), and is the court now used by the Justice Department to obtain authority to conduct surveillance of US citizens.

It is still unclear why the president did not go through the FISA process. But a number of senators said they thought the president may have broken the law by failing to do so.

Adding to people's confusion is the ongoing debate about re-authorizing the Patriot Act, hurriedly passed six weeks after the September 11 attacks and due to expire on December 31. The House of Representatives and Senate have been unable to reach unanimity on which body's version of the new act will become law and have asked for a three-month extension of the current law to give them more time to work out their differences. The president has said he would veto such a request.

Meanwhile, other terror-related issues have also recently added to the public's confusion.

Government lawyers told the Supreme Court it would be "wholly imprudent" to hear Jose Padilla's challenge to his military detention as an enemy combatant. Padilla, a US citizen, was arrested in 2002 at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, designated an enemy combatant and held in a navy brig for three years without charges (until he was indicted last month). Most of that time he had no access to legal counsel or to evidence against him.

Another issue likely to increase public confusion about "the rules" governing the "war on terror" is the so-called Graham Amendment, now pending in Congress as part of a massive spending bill to fund veterans' benefits and the operations of US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The measure won solid Senate approval for its provisions requiring interrogation techniques used by the military to be guided only by the Army Field Manual. But there are two little-discussed provisions in the measure.

One relies on a secret annex to the manual to spell out the specific techniques the military can and cannot use. Ordinary US citizens - and most of the Congress - will probably never know what these techniques are.

The second potentially controversial provision in the amendment is the suspension of habeas corpus - the right to go to court to contest the reason for detention as well as treatment - for prisoners in US custody, including some 500 held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Habeas corpus is considered the gold standard for Anglo-American justice.

Shame in Afghanistan
Meanwhile, amid efforts by the bipartisan coalition in Congress to ban torture and inhumane treatment of detainees in the "war on terror", a major US human rights groups charged on Monday that Washington ran a secret prison in Afghanistan where suspected terrorists were held in total darkness for days and even weeks at a time from 2002 until at least last year.

New York-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) said the prison was known by the inmates as the "dark prison" or "prison of darkness" where they were chained to the walls, deprived of food and drinking water, and continuously subjected to loud heavy-metal or rap music apparently designed to disorient them and break down their will.

Their shackles often made it impossible to lie down or sleep, and interrogations carried out apparently by civilian US personnel - presumed to be Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) operatives - included slaps and punches. Guards at the prison were mostly Afghan, according to the report.

According to HRW, the prison was off-limits to representatives of the International Committee of the Red Cross or other independent agencies.

"We're not talking about torture in the abstract, but the real thing," HRW's John Sifton said. "US personnel and officials may be criminally liable, and a special prosecutor is needed to investigate."

The HRW release, based primarily on accounts by seven detainees currently being held at the US detention camp in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, came as top US officials, including Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, continued to deny that the administration had ever approved the use of torture or inhumane treatment of terrorist suspects.

During a White House meeting last week with Senator John McCain, who has led the congressional drive to ban torture and inhumane treatment in the "war on terror", Bush, who had for several months threatened to veto such legislation, insisted his administration was innocent.

"We've been happy to work with [McCain] to achieve a common objective," he said, after a lopsided vote the day before in the House of Representatives in favor of the McCain Amendment, "and that is to make it clear to the world that this government does not torture and that we adhere to the international convention on torture, whether it be here, at home or abroad."

But that position has been increasingly difficult to sustain, as more and more details - and dissent from the CIA rank and file - about the treatment of detainees has leaked to the media and Congress.

The Senate this week is expected to approve a resolution that will require the administration to provide detailed reports every 90 days about secret detention facilities maintained by the US overseas and the treatment and condition of each prisoner.

The CIA is believed to be holding incommunicado at secret sites around the world between 24 and 36 alleged "high-value" targets, including Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind behind the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York and the Pentagon. Many of these individuals were initially seized in foreign countries and taken across international borders for interrogation.

The "dark prison" appears to have been one of these sites, at least for the purposes of screening detainees for their intelligence value.

HRW, which has repeatedly been denied access to Guantanamo prisoners, has not interviewed any of the detainees directly. Their allegations were instead communicated to HRW through their attorneys but, according to the rights group, are sufficiently consistent and credible to warrant an official investigation.

Most of the detainees said they were apprehended in other countries in Asia and the Middle East and then flown to Afghanistan. From time to time, some detainees were transferred to another secret facility, and all were eventually transferred to the main US detention facility near Bagram air base in Afghanistan. None claimed to have been detained at the "dark prison" for more than six weeks at a time.

One detainee said he had been in the prison for about four weeks, held in solitary confinement where it was "pitch black", but for interrogations was taken to a room with a strobe light and shackled to the floor. In one session, he claimed to have been threatened with rape by one of his interrogators.

A second, Ethiopian-born but British-raised detainee, Benyam Mohammed, told his attorney in English he was held at the "dark prison" last year. "It was pitch black, no lights on in the rooms for most of the time," the attorney reported him as saying. "They hung me up. I was allowed a few hours of sleep on the second day, then hung up again, this time for two days." For 20 days, the music of Eminem and Dr Dre was blared into their cells.

"The CIA worked on people, including me, day and night," he added. "Plenty lost their minds. I could hear people knocking their heads against the walls and the doors, screaming their heads off."
Yet another detainee reported a similar ordeal, noting, "People were screaming in pain and crying all the time." Four other Guantanamo detainees - Abd al-Salam Ali al-Hila, Hassin bin Attash, Jamil el-Banna and Bisher al-Rawi - gave similar accounts.

HRW noted that the accounts given by the seven detainees were consistent with those given by four detainees who escaped from the Bagram facility in July.

(Inter Press Service)




US embraces Iraqi insurgents (Dec 17, '05)

That US image problem (Dec 16, '05)

We vote, then we throw you out (Dec 15, '05)

Disappearing tricks (Dec 8, '05)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2005 Asia Times Online Ltd.
Head Office: Rm 202, Hau Fook Mansion, No. 8 Hau Fook St., Kowloon, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110