WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
              Click Here
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    Middle East
     Oct 13, 2006
A deadly Iraqi numbers game
By Sanjay Suri

LONDON - US President George W Bush has acted swiftly in response to a report saying that as many as 655,000 Iraqis had died as a consequence of the US-led invasion and occupation of Iraq.

"I don't consider it a credible report," Bush said of the investigation by the leading British-based medical journal, The Lancet.

General George Casey, the top American military commander in



Iraq, also expressed doubt. "That 650,000 number seems way, way beyond any number that I have seen," Casey said. "I've not seen a number higher than 50,000 and so I don't give it that much credibility at all."

While the report had already created a stir, it was unlikely to alter US policy, said James Denselow of the Royal Institute for International Affairs in London. "It is unlikely to have policy implications," Denselow told Inter Press Service. "The US has always rode roughshod over the issue of casualties. And with this report out, Bush was saying today what he said a year ago, that without the US there Iraq will become a pariah state, that it will risk more of September 11, I don't see any drastic change to that."

But In the public eye "the report does undermine the US project in Iraq", Denselow said. "There have been other reports to say that more Iraqis have been tortured under US occupation than under Saddam [Hussein], and now we have a report suggesting a higher ratio of deaths under US occupation."

Bush had so far managed to combine the war in Iraq and the "war on terror" quite well. "But people are now seeing that the Iraq war has created a harder problem that the 'war on terror' was intended to address," he said.

The conduct of the invasion had been shown up to be "mismanaged and tragically irresponsible", Denselow said. "But that does not mean there will be a change in what the US is doing."

The Lancet said the deaths were in addition to the number of deaths from natural causes. The new estimate is far higher than earlier studies by The Lancet. In October 2004, it published a paper indicating more than 100,000 excess deaths between March 2003 and September 2004 because of the invasion of military forces.

The new study estimates the deaths from March 2003 to June 2006, and compares them with the deaths in the pre-invasion period January 2002 to March 2003 in 47 randomly selected sites across Iraq. That led to the figure of 655,000 - on average more than 500 deaths a day more than in pre-invasion Iraq.

The survey covered 1,849 households and 12,801 household members. Each household was surveyed about births, deaths, in-migration and out-migration in May and June this year. Wherever there was a death, surveyors asked for a death certificate, which was produced in 92% of the cases.

The pre-invasion mortality rate was 5.5 per 1,000 people per year, while post-invasion this rose to 13.3 per 1,000 people per year. "This doubling of baseline mortality constitutes a humanitarian emergency," the report says.

Most violent deaths were due to gunshots (56%), the survey found. Air strikes, car bombs and other explosions each accounted for 13-14% of violent deaths.

Deaths attributable to the coalition forces accounted for 31% of post-invasion violent deaths, the report said. The study found that the proportion of deaths attributable to coalition forces diminished this year, the actual number of people killed by the coalition forces rose.

The deaths meant that 2.5% of the population of Iraq had died unnaturally under the occupation, the report said. "Although such death rates might be common in times of war, the combination of a long duration and tens of millions of people affected has made this the deadliest international conflict of the 21st century, and should be of grave concern to everybody," the authors wrote in the report.

The study was carried out by a team led by Gilbert Burnham of the John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore in the United States.

The authors are demanding an international inquiry. "We continue to believe that an independent international body to monitor compliance with the Geneva Conventions and other humanitarian standards in conflict is urgently needed," they said. "With reliable date, those voices that speak out for civilians trapped in conflict might be able to lessen the tragic human cost of future wars."”

(Inter Press Service)


The poison spreads in Iraq (Oct 11, '06)

The two faces of Iraq (Oct 7, '06)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2006 Asia Times Online Ltd.
Head Office: Rm 202, Hau Fook Mansion, No. 8 Hau Fook St., Kowloon, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110