WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
              Click Here
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    Middle East
     Dec 15, 2006
Page 1 of 2
Soured Sunni deal ends one US option
By Gareth Porter

WASHINGTON - US Ambassador to Iraq Zalmay Khalilzad negotiated with Sunni armed groups for several weeks earlier this year on an agreement that would have supported Sunni forces in attacking pro-Iranian Shi'ite militias, according to accounts given by commanders of armed Sunni resistance organizations.

The revelations of the intensive US-Sunni negotiations, reported by Hala Jaber in the Sunday Times of London, are consistent with an account of those negotiations provided by a Sunni participant



last May in an interview with the London-based Asharq al-Awsat newspaper.

But the new accounts make it clear for the first time that the main objective of the talks was to explore possible US support for building a Sunni military force directed primarily against Shi'ites in Iraq.

The George W Bush administration never responded to the Sunni offer and resumed its support in April for fielding an almost exclusively Shi'ite and Kurdish army and paramilitary forces to suppress the Sunni resistance. The decision against any accommodation with the Sunni organizations made it virtually impossible for the United States to curb the rising tide of sectarian Shi'ite killings of Sunni civilians and the open sectarian civil war that has followed.

In the talks, the Sunnis assured the ambassador that the Sunni insurgents had sufficient manpower and knowledge to deal successfully with the problem of Shi'ite militias in Baghdad, which Khalilzad had begun to recognize as a serious policy problem for the Bush administration. "If he would just provide us with the weapons, we would clean up the city and regain control of Baghdad in 30 days," one insurgent leader was quoted as saying.
The Sunni participants did not refer to potential cooperation against al-Qaeda in Iraq and other jihadi terrorist networks in Iraq, but the organizations involved had parted ways with al-Qaeda on central issues and some insurgent leaders had reportedly offered in late 2005 to turn al-Qaeda leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi over to the Iraqi government as part of a broader peace agreement.

The negotiations between Khalilzad and Sunni insurgents were said by the Sunni leaders to have been brokered by former interim prime minister Iyad Allawi at Khalilzad's request. Allawi apparently convinced Sunni resistance leaders that they could find common ground with the US over Iranian influence in the country, which was exercised through Shi'ite political parties and militias. Allawi established his bona fides with the Sunni resistance on the Iranian threat to Iraq by having his defense minister refer to the main Shi'ite list in the first parliamentary elections as the "Iranian list".

Throughout most of 2005, US policymakers were ignoring warnings from Allawi and other non-sectarian Iraqis about the rise of Shi'ite militias, which were taking revenge against Sunnis for the Saddam Hussein regime's harsh treatment of Shi'ites over more than three decades.

But in November 2005, Khalilzad began hinting strongly at a shift toward a "Sunni strategy". The US Embassy abruptly confronted prime minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari publicly over torture houses being run by Shi'ite officials of the Ministry of Interior and adopted a tough line against militant Shi'ite control over Iraqi security forces or ministries.

Khalilzad then announced in late November that he was ready to meet with insurgent leaders and wanted to "deal with their legitimate concerns". At the same time, the US command began for the first time referring to the Sunni insurgents as "nationalists" rather than "anti-Iraqi forces". Khalilzad accused the Iranians of wanting regional hegemony, and the top US military commander, General George Casey, said Iran was funding Shi'ite lists in the election.

Khalilzad openly criticized the sectarian nature of Iraq's main parties and made no secret of the US hope that the party of the secular Shi'ite Allawi, a long-time Central Intelligence Agency asset in Iraq who had been chosen by Washington as interim prime minister in June 2004, would get enough votes to play power broker in forming a new government.

After Allawi's list did badly in the December elections, Khalilzad repeated his insistence that sectarian Shi'ites would not be allowed to control the Interior Ministry.

These were all signals aimed primarily at convincing Sunni resistance leaders that they could strike a deal with the US. Three major Sunni armed organizations were interested in a possible agreement with the US: the Army of Ansar al-Sunnah, the 1920 Revolutionary Brigade (an umbrella group for seven smaller organizations) and The Islamic Army of Iraq. The three groups claimed to represent three-fourths of the resistance forces.

The resistance groups interested in participating in the talks were all independent of former high officials of Saddam's regime who directed anti-coalition guerrilla units. The forces loyal to Saddam remained outside the talks, demanding the reinstatement of 

Continued 1 2 


US staying the course for Big Oil in Iraq (Dec 14, '06)

Iraq as a living hell (Dec 13, '06)

Father, son and Holy Ghost (Dec 12, '06)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2006 Asia Times Online Ltd.
Head Office: Rm 202, Hau Fook Mansion, No. 8 Hau Fook St., Kowloon, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110