WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    Middle East
     Jan 12, 2007
Opening shots fired in battle for Baghdad
By Sumedha Senanayake

On January 6, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki announced a new plan to bring security to Baghdad and wrest control of the capital from the armed groups blamed for much of the sectarian violence. Although details remain sketchy, the plan has been attacked as being risky and likely to exacerbate sectarian tensions.

In a speech marking the 86th anniversary of the formation of the Iraqi Army, Maliki said the new plan centered on the deployment of additional Iraqi forces, including Kurdish fighters, into Baghdad, to be supported by US-led coalition troops. These forces would



then conduct neighborhood-by-neighborhood sweeps to rid Baghdad of extremist groups.

In addition, Maliki said the plan "will deny all outlaws a safe haven, irrespective of their sectarian or political affiliation", suggesting that he may be ready to crack down on Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's militia, the Mehdi Army.

Sunni Arabs denounce plan
Sunni Arab leaders were quick to reject the plan, describing it as "unconstitutional". Iraqi Parliament speaker Mahmud al-Mashhadani noted that Maliki had never consulted with the Council of Representatives over the plan, and therefore deputies were not given an opportunity to vote on it, al-Sharqiyah television reported.

The Iraqi constitution does not allow the prime minister to approve a security plan without referring it to the Council of Representatives, now that the Emergency Law - which gave him extraordinary executive powers - has expired. Consequently, "this plan has no legal legitimacy", Mashhadani said.

Other Sunni politicians criticized the plan because they said it focused mostly in the western, Sunni part of Baghdad and left out Shi'ite Sadr City in the east. Sunni leaders warned that this perceived lack of fairness would worsen sectarian tensions.

Salih al-Mutlaq, the head of the Front for National Dialogue, went so far as to describe the plan as the Shi'ite-led government's latest effort to cleanse Baghdad of Sunni Arabs, Al-Jazeera satellite television reported.

"The new plan will fail in the same manner as the previous security plans failed, but this time it seems that there are attempts to purge the city of Baghdad of certain segments of Iraqi society and thus deepen the sectarian rift in Iraq," Mutlaq said.

Controversial Kurdish participation
There have been conflicting reports as to whether several battalions of the Kurdish militia, the Peshmerga, will be sent to participate in the Baghdad security operation. An official in the Kurdish regional government, on condition of anonymity, told The New Anatolian on January 9 that Kurdish forces would only be deployed under a certain set of conditions.

"We will not deploy any Peshmerga forces in Baghdad. The Peshmerga forces are a special force that will only be used to protect the Kurdish region," the official said. "However, we may send troops as part of the Iraqi Army to be deployed in Baghdad only if the Iraqi Parliament officially makes such a request and our Kurdish regional parliament approves it."

The issue of sending Kurdish forces into Baghdad is controversial. Since the fall of the Saddam Hussein regime, Kurdish forces have never been deployed in Baghdad and several Kurdish officials have indicated that this move would be dangerous and risk inflaming ethnic divisions.

It could also draw the Kurds into the sectarian conflict that has been almost exclusively between the Shi'ite and Sunni Arabs. Kurdish leaders have voiced concern over the perception that Iraqi Kurds, a majority of whom are Sunnis, would be fighting against their Sunni Arab brothers.

Mahmud Uthman, a prominent leader in the Iraqi Kurdish Coalition, has come out against sending Kurdish forces to fight Arabs anywhere in Iraq, al-Zaman reported on January 8. "There are fears that a fight like this, pitting Kurds against the Arabs, is bound to add an ethnic touch to the conflict," he said. "The deployment of Kurdish forces in Arab areas is wrong and will create sensitivities and accusations that the Kurds are killing the Arabs."

Maliki's high stakes
Maliki's initiative, despite its seemingly noble intentions, carries great risks. The plan for Iraqi forces to move from district to district to drive out insurgents and militia elements will almost certainly result in considerable casualties. If the operation is perceived to be excessively heavy-handed, then Maliki could face a severe backlash, not only from the Sunni Arab population, but from his own Shi'ite coalition as well.

A prolonged and bloody confrontation with Muqtada's Mehdi Army could also prove disastrous for Maliki's leadership. Maliki's political position has been tenuous for months, and he has been under tremendous pressure to reign in Muqtada's militia, which is widely blamed for being one of the main instigators of sectarian attacks. If the Baghdad security operation goes poorly and casualties mount, it may signal the end of Maliki's tenure as prime minister.

In addition, if it appears that Muqtada's militia is being crushed by Iraqi forces backed by US firepower, it may force Iraq's Shi'ite religious authority, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, to intervene and call for an end to the operation, which would be highly embarrassing for Maliki. Indeed, the last time Iraqi and US forces confronted Muqtada's militia, in the holy city of Najaf in August 2004, it only ended when Sistani brokered a truce.

While sectarian tensions have been running high since the attack on the al-Askari shrine in Samarra last February, the situation has been particularly tense since the execution of Saddam Hussein on December 30. The release of the unauthorized video of the execution incensed Sunni Arabs with what they saw as the exceptionally undignified manner in which the government carried out the hanging.

If Sunnis sense that their neighborhoods are being disproportionately targeted in the security operation, this will only exacerbate their distrust of the government. The armed Sunni groups thought to make up most of the insurgency would also be that much less inclined to disarm and enter the political process.

For this reason, US Lieutenant General Raymond Odierno urged a balanced approach to the operation, which should target both Shi'ite militias and Sunni extremists, The Washington Post reported on January 7. Otherwise, Maliki's gamble on security in Baghdad may prove to be his last at the head of the Iraqi government.

Copyright (c) 2006, RFE/RL Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington DC 20036


The perverse logic of Bush's war (Jan 11, '07)

The superhawk behind the surge (Jan 11, '07)

Negroponte and the escalation of death (Jan 11, '07)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2007 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110