WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    Middle East
     Aug 28, 2008
Sectarian clashes flare in Iraq
By Ahmed Ali and Dahr Jamail

BAQUBA - A military operation said to target al-Qaeda has ended up targeting Sunni Muslims instead, creating new sectarian tensions.

A US-backed security operation launched last month has only targeted cities with majority Sunni populations such as Buhriz, Tahreer, Qatoon, Mafraq and Hay in Diyala province, north of Baghdad. The operation has drawn more than 50,000 Iraqi soldiers.

The deputy governor of Diyala, Awf Rahoomi, has demanded in a public speech in Baquba that "the new security plan should also

 

include Shi'ite cities like Hwaider, Khirnabat and Abara".

These Shi'ite districts are strongholds of the Mahdi Army of Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr and of the Badr Organization, the militia of the ruling Shi'ite party, the Supreme Islamic Iraqi Council.

"The forces of the new security plan took all our weapons to the extent that we cannot fight al-Qaeda any more; we are impotent," Mullah Shihab al-Safi, commander of the Popular Committees Fighters (the Sunni leadership of the US-backed Awakening Group militias), said at a meeting of the Commitment Council established by Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki.

Safi said four members of the council who are leaders of the Awakening Group were among those arrested by government security forces.

Leaders of Awakening Councils from Qatoon district spoke of a similar crackdown by Iraqi forces. The Awakening groups are totally a 90,000-strong mostly Sunni militia whose members each receive US$300 a month from the US military.

Soldiers from Battalion 36 of the Iraqi army, an elite counter-terrorism unit that is known by detractors as the "dirty squad", stormed the Diyala provincial government building in Baquba at 1:30am August 19.

Witnesses told Inter-Press Service (IPS)that more than 50 soldiers stormed the compound and hauled council members from their beds. The governor's secretary, Abbas Ali Hamood, was shot dead.

The special forces group entered with the permission of Captain Mohammed Sami al-Tamini, commander of the protection group for the building, but then handcuffed Tamini and the guards at the gate, and beat up deputy governor Awf Rahoomi before handcuffing him.

After this the special forces entered another building and arrested the head of the security committee in the ruling council and Sunni lawmaker of the Iraqi Islamic Party, Dr Hussein al-Zubaidi. Other members of the ruling council in the building were beaten up and insulted, according to witnesses who spoke with IPS on condition of anonymity.

After the group left the building, they engaged in fighting with local security forces. One vehicle was destroyed and three local soldiers were wounded. Fighting continued through the night.

"These special forces work with the Americans," Iraq's Ministry of Defense spokesman Mohammed Askari told reporters the day of the raid. "They have goals, and they didn't inform anyone else."

The US military denied involvement in the operation.

An Iraqi special forces unit also raided the home of the dean of Diyala University, Nazar Jabbar Khafaji, and detained him. Ismael Ibrahim, his driver, told reporters the troops took computers, two guns, and $5,000.

The Islamic Party has demanded an explanation from the prime minister about such assaults on Sunni Muslims. So far 684 people have been arrested. All of them are Sunni Muslims.

Sunni residents of Baquba, capital city of Diyala, say the new security plan is clearly sectarian. "No Shi'ite VIP or layman has been arrested since the launch of the security plan," local trader Qasim Abdullah told IPS.

Others blamed Shi'ite militias, backed by the government in Baghdad. "We all know that Shi'ite militias in Baquba are a source of instability," said Yasin Hamza, a teacher. "Influential Shi'ite members in the provincial office or in the ruling council were behind the bad security situation in this province. It cannot be that all of them are innocent."

Ahmed Ali, IPS's correspondent in Iraq's Diyala province, works in close collaboration with Dahr Jamail, IPS's US-based specialist writer on Iraq who has reported extensively from Iraq and the Middle East.

(Inter Press Service)


US worries as Maliki gets 'difficult'
(Aug 19, '08)

US blamed for Iran's clout in Iraq
(Aug 15, '08)

Baghdad warms to Sunni awakening
(Aug 7, '08)


1. Let's talk about World War III

2. Setback for Pakistan's terror drive

3. The lady doth protest too little

4. China misfires with divisive 'people's war'

5. Georgia war rooted in US 'self-deceit'

6. Here we go again

7. Thai protests turn nasty

8. Profits hit with an ugly stick

9. Go East, Uncle Sam

10. Worthless money, worthless economy

11. Tough love's fatal attraction

(24 hours to 11:59pm ET, Aug 26, 2008)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2008 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110