WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    Middle East
     Mar 3, 2009
A withdrawal of sorts from Iraq
By Gareth Porter

WASHINGTON - United States President Barack Obama has given military commanders a free hand to determine the size and composition of a residual force in Iraq up to 50,000 troops, apparently including the option of leaving one or more combat brigades or bringing them from the United States, after the August 2010 deadline for the ostensible withdrawal of all combat brigades now in Iraq.

Although the ostensible purpose of the combat brigades remaining in Iraq would be to protect other US troops in the country, they would also provide the kind of combat capability that US commanders have wanted to maintain to deal with a broad range of contingencies.

The fact that the commanders have the option to nullify Obama's

 

pledge to removal all combat brigades raises serious questions about whether he has given up control over his Iraq policy.

Obama declared, in a speech at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, that by August 31, 2010, "[O]ur combat mission in Iraq will end." But he confirmed earlier indications from administration officials that the residual force would be from 35,000 to 50,000 troops - far higher than Democratic congressional leaders had previously been led to expect by Obama.

Obama did not refer to the possibility that combat brigades would remain in the country after August 31, 2010, but Defense Secretary Robert Gates admitted as much in a question and answer session with reporters after the speech.

Obama also stated, "I intend to remove all US troops from Iraq by the end of 2011." But Gates, and the top commander in Iraq, General Ray Odierno, have both indicated on the record that they want to keep US troops in Iraq even after that date, based on the assumption that the Iraqi government will renegotiate the Status of Forces Agreement.

NBC News' Pentagon correspondent Jim Miklaszewski reported just before Obama's speech that discussions had taken place in the Kirkuk area between some US military commanders and Iraqis "to establish what could end up as a permanent air base, US air base, in Kirkuk".

Obama's claim that the US combat mission will end in August 2010 raises the question whether he will call a halt to combat patrols by US personnel embedded with Iraqi units. The sweeping concession made to Central Command chief General David Petraeus and Iraq commander Odierno on the residual force suggests that he will not demand the end of such operations by US troops.

The freedom granted to Odierno and Petraeus on the residual force overshadows his concession to the generals and Gates in accepting the recommendation for a 19-month timetable for withdrawing combat brigades.

Obama had appeared to be leaning toward the 16-month withdrawal of combat brigades he had pledged during the campaign as recently as a January 21 White House meeting with Gates and Petraeus.

Obama provided no further details on the residual force. According to a Washington Post report published on Friday, two unnamed "senior officials" - one of whom was presumably Gates - told Congressional leaders on Thursday that Obama would let commanders decide not only the exact schedule of withdrawal of combat brigades but also the size of the residual force.

In a teleconference with reporters on Friday afternoon, Gates appeared to confirm indirectly that he and field commanders had discussed either keeping combat brigades in Iraq but calling them "non-combat" forces or actually sending new combat brigades to Iraq from the US during the draw-down of the brigades now in Iraq.
A reporter asked Gates, "You have said they're not going to be combat brigades, but are you going to take combat brigades that are in the United States and sort of rename them, redesignate them, or are you going to create new units for this specific mission?"

Gates first sidestepped the question entirely. "[W]ith respect to the 35,000 to 50,000," he said, "I think that that's a question probably better directed at General Odierno." But he then added, "[I]n terms of whether those are new units or whether they are re-missioned units that are already there, I think remains to be seen."

CBS News' Pentagon correspondent David Martin, reflecting the leaks from Pentagon officials, reported on February 24 that the residual force would be organized in "training and assistance brigades" that would be capable of conducting combat operations and calling air strikes from carrier or land-based aircraft. In a comment to CBS News' Political Hotsheet, Martin said the units would be "fully combat capable", suggesting that they would be drawn from combat brigades.

Some leading Senate and House Democrats were clearly taken by surprise by the size of the residual force to which Obama had agreed. On the Rachel Maddow Show on Thursday, House speaker Nancy Pelosi said, "I don't know what the justification is for 50,000, a presence of 50,000 troops in Iraq."

Senate majority leader Harry Reid and Senator Carl Levin, chair of the Armed Services Committee, both indicated that the figure was higher than they had expected. Senator Patty Murray of Washington, said, "I do think we have to look carefully at the numbers that are there and do it as quickly as we can."

Defeated Republican presidential candidate John McCain, on the other hand, sounded like a loyal supporter of Obama's decision, saying it is "reasonable" and that he is "cautiously optimistic that the plan that is laid out by the president can lead to success".

Obama even took a step toward committing himself to reversing the whole withdrawal policy if violence in Iraq resumed any time before the end of 2011. Representative John McHugh, the ranking Republican on the House Armed Services Committee, said Obama had assured him that he would "revisit" the withdrawal plan "if the situation on the ground deteriorates and violence increases".

The decision on Iraq policy announced by Obama on Friday ended a four-month period of maneuvering by Gates, Odierno and Petraeus aimed at getting Obama to change his Iraq policy.

Gates and the two generals had wanted to keep a large residual force, including combat brigades, in Iraq not only through 2011 but for at least another four years beyond that. They had presented a 23-month draw-down plan to Obama at a January 21 White House meeting as an alternative to his 16-month draw-down plan.

Later, they settled on 19 months as an acceptable compromise. It is now clear, however, that the primary objective of the trio was to get Obama to approve complete control by the commanders over the residual force up to 50,000.

The Washington Post reported that the senior administration officials who briefed Congressional leaders on Thursday said that Obama's "senior civilian and military advisers" - meaning Gates and Joint Chiefs chairman Admiral Mike Mullen - had recommended both the 19-month draw-down plan and the size of the residual force.

The Post reported the "senior officials" as suggesting that the reason for both recommendations was to avoid "jeopardizing Iraq's still-fragile security". However, a source who was close to Obama during the campaign and maintains ties to his advisers said Obama's acceptance of the 19-month plan was to "defuse the conflict with the Pentagon".

Not mentioned in either Obama's speech or briefings by Gates is the question of whether US pilots and planes will be part of the residual force after August 2010. The silence on that matter suggests that US airpower will continue to participate in combat, despite the supposed end of the US combat mission.

Gareth Porter is an investigative historian and journalist specializing in US national security policy. The paperback edition of his latest book, Perils of Dominance: Imbalance of Power and the Road to War in Vietnam, was published in 2006.

(Inter Press Service)


The Muqtada factor re-emerges in Iraq
(Feb 25,'09)

Debt as a unifying power in Iraq
(Feb 10,'09)

US commanders at odds over Iraq
(Feb 19,'09)


1. A planet at the brink?

2. A reality check on Iran and the 'bomb'

3. Beggar, I thy neighbor

4. From 'axis of evil' to 'clenched fist'

(Feb 27-Mar 1, 2009)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2009 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110