WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    Middle East
     Feb 25, 2011


Obama considers his options
By Jim Lobe

WASHINGTON - As more Libyan towns and cities fell to anti-government forces on Wednesday, United States President Barack Obama said Washington was preparing "the full range of options" to respond to the ongoing violence in the oil-rich North African state.

In a five-minute televised statement from the White House, Obama stressed that Washington preferred to act in concert with other nations and international institutions.

"This is not simply a concern of the United States," he said as Secretary of State Hillary Clinton stood by his side. "The entire world is watching, and we will coordinate our assistance and

 
accountability measures with the international community."

But he also hinted that Washington may consider taking unspecified unilateral action against the regime of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

"I've asked my administration to prepare the full range of options that we have to respond to this crisis," he said. "This includes those actions we may take and those we will coordinate with our allies and partners, or those that we'll carry out through multilateral institutions."

Obama's statement, which came amid reports that Gaddafi's control over the country had receded to little more than the capital, Tripoli, was his first since the weekend when Libyan security forces and, according to a number of reports, foreign mercenaries unleashed a wave of violence, including strafing by Libyan warplanes and helicopters, against anti-government demonstrators in Benghazi and other cities.

Franco Frattini, the foreign minister of Italy, the European country with perhaps the closest ties to its former colony, said on Wednesday that reports that "some 1,000" people have died as a result of the repression were "credible", while the Paris-based International Federation for Human Rights estimated that least 700 people had died since late last week.

And while Gaddafi's son and heir apparent, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, insisted in a televised broadcast late on Wednesday that the situation had returned to "normal", Tripoli residents told foreign media by telephone that the capital's population was staying in their homes for fear of being attacked in the streets by security forces and pro-Gaddafi militias.

Meanwhile, foreign reporters in Benghazi, Libya's second-largest city, reported that residents there had established a provisional governing authority, while Misurata, the third-largest city located just east of Tripoli, fell to anti-Gaddafi forces on Wednesday. The government has also abandoned positions along the country's western border with Tunisia, and hundreds of people have fled across the frontier, according to eyewitness accounts.

Despite a number of statements by lesser officials condemning the violence, Obama has faced a rising tide of criticism - mainly from neo-conservatives and other hawks, but also from human-rights activists - this week over what they have called his "silence" on the situation and his failure to date to impose sanctions against the regime.

His remarks late in the afternoon appeared intended in part to answer that criticism. By way of introduction, he stressed that his "highest priority" was to do "everything we can to protect American citizens", of whom there are believed to be about 6,000 residing in Libya.

United States officials told reporters on background this week that one reason Obama had been reluctant to personally denounce Gaddafi during the crisis was fear that US nationals could be taken hostage by the regime. Analysts noted on Wednesday that Obama did not mention Gaddafi by name in his remarks.

At the same time, Obama's statement was the harshest by Washington to date. "The suffering and bloodshed is outrageous and it is unacceptable," Obama said.

"So are threats and orders to shoot peaceful protesters and further punish the people of Libya. These actions violate international norms and every standard of common decency. This violence must stop," he declared.

Obama also suggested for the first time that Washington was actively considering imposing sanctions against the regime. "Like all governments, the Libyan government has a responsibility to refrain from violence, to allow humanitarian assistance to reach those in need, and to respect the rights of its people," he said.

"It must be held accountable for its failure to meet those responsibilities, and face the cost of continued violations of human rights," he added.

On Tuesday, John Kerry, the Democratic chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee who often acts as a stalking horse for the administration, called for the imposition of targeted sanctions against the regime.

Both German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Nicolas Sarkozy have also urged the European Union (EU) to immediately take similar action.

Obama made clear that he preferred to coordinate US action with other countries and specifically praised the United Nations Security Council statement issued on Tuesday that condemned the violence and called for accountability for its perpetrators.

"This same message, by the way, has been delivered by the European Union, the Arab League, the African Union, the Organization of the Islamic Conference, and many individual nations," he emphasized. "North and south, east and west, voices are being raised together to oppose suppression and support the rights of the Libyan people."

He also implicitly rejected charges by Gaddafi and other autocratic regimes in the region that the United States was behind the uprising.

"The change that is taking place across the region is being driven by the people of the region," he said in a reference as well to the ouster over the past six weeks of the presidents of Tunisia and Egypt and the continued popular unrest in Bahrain and Yemen.

"This change doesn't represent the work of the United States or any foreign power," he insisted. "It represents the aspirations of people who are seeking a better life."

He announced that he was sending Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs William Burns, who has been in Cairo this week, to Europe and elsewhere in the Middle East to "intensify our consultations" about possible measures regarding Libya. He also announced that Clinton would travel to Geneva on Monday for a foreign ministers' meeting of the UN's Human Rights Council, of which Libya is a member.

A number of critics in Washington have called on the administration to include among any sanctions it takes against Libya the country's expulsion from the council.

They have also called for Washington and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to impose a "no-fly" zone over parts of Libya to prevent the regime's aircraft from attacking anti-government forces. Some critics, mainly from the right, have urged the administration to provide arms to the rebels, as well.
Jim Lobe's blog on US foreign policy can be read at http://www.lobelog.com.

(Inter Press Service)


Next stop: The House of Saud
(Feb 19, '11)

All about Pearl roundabout
(Feb 18, '11)


1.
Iran embarks on new voyage of discovery

2. Gaddafi goes Tiananmen

3. The mad dog of the Middle East

4. Oil to feed civil war

5. Brother Gaddafi, you're going down

6. China balks at speeding fine

7. Credibility blown

8. Tehran steps up crackdown

9. India's FDI takes a hammering

10. Gul struggles for Iranian pay-off

(24 hours to 11:59pm ET, Feb 23, 2011)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2011 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110