|
A
new dimension in India's northeast
woes By Sultan Shahin
NEW DELHI - New Delhi and Washington are finally waking
up to the strange phenomenon taking place in
India's troubled northeast. An upper-caste Hindu militant
secessionist organization of the northeastern state of
Assam - the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) - has
reportedly taken up formal membership with the
Pakistan-based Muttahida (United) Jihad Council (MJC)
after years of dallying with the Pakistani military's
Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and the Directorate
General of Field Intelligence (DGFI) of Bangladesh.
The MJC is an umbrella organization of
various outfits engaged in militant operations in the
Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. Its most prominent
member group is the dreaded Hizbul Mujahideen, headed by
Syed Salahuddin.
For the first time,
several world leaders, including United Nations
Secretary General Kofi Annan and British Foreign Minister Jack
Straw, and the United States have publicly focused
their attention on India's turbulent northeast and
its insurgent violence. US Ambassador to India David
C Mulford offered the help of Federal Bureau
of Investigation (FBI) members after the serial blasts
on October 2 that killed scores of people. In a letter
to Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, Mulford said,
"Should you find it helpful, the FBI would be pleased to
provide technical support for your investigation."
Though Gogoi welcomed the offer, it was
criticized by leftist as well as Hindu-right politicians and
sections of the media as interfering in India's internal
matters, an infringement of sovereignty and at the
very least "unmindful of the established procedures for
diplomatic conduct in the host country", which clearly
specify that all communication between an envoy and
a state government must be routed through the Ministry
of External Affairs. However, a realization is now
dawning that this offer is probably an indication of the
United States' recognition of a global and Islamist dimension
to the terrorism in India's northeast.
Indicating that the government of India is not
only aware of the foreign dimension of the
terror-bombings in Assam and Nagaland, but it is also
willing to take some concrete action, the normally
reticent Indian Defense Minister Pranab Mukherjee put
the blame for these terrorist acts squarely on the ISI
of Pakistan. Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, too, has now
voiced his concern over "some insurgent groups" taking
"shelter" in Bangladesh. The chief ministers of Assam
and Tripura have been demanding that Bangladesh be
persuaded to take the kind of robust action against the
insurgents based on its territory that Bhutan took last
year. Indeed, part of the reason for this latest
concentration of militants in Bangladesh and Myanmar is
that they lost their sanctuaries in Bhutan.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has linked the
attacks to the ULFA regrouping after being flushed out
of Bhutan last year. He said: "The Bhutanese military
offensive against ULFA and NDFB [National Democratic
Front of Bodoland] inside the kingdom in December last
year has not helped us. The rebels appear to have simply
relocated their camps." He is pushing New Delhi to focus
on Bangladesh and Myanmar, where he insists ULFA and
NDFB have bases and safe houses. "As we see now, the
root of the problem lies in these two countries. Unless
the rebels are uprooted from there, violent attacks are
bound to go on," Gogoi said.
Director
general of
Tripura police G M Srivastava, however, implicated
Chinese intelligence, too, in the growing militancy in
the region. He said: "It is really a matter of serious
concern that several anti-India forces of China,
Myanmar, Pakistan and Bangladesh are trying hard to
create unrest in northeastern states by using the
fundamentalists and separatist forces of the region."
Stressing the need for strong diplomatic
pressure on Dhaka to contain these forces, he said: "We
have got the photographs of training camps in Dhaka
where cadres of Indian insurgent groups are also being
trained by operatives of the Taliban and the al-Qaeda
network."
Al-Qaeda and its associates now have a
sizable presence in Bangladesh. It serves as a focal
point or umbrella organization for a worldwide network
that includes many Islamic extremist groups such
as Harkat-ul-Mujahideen, which has bases in India's
northeastern states also. Concerning the operatives from
China, Srivastava said: "Their presence is in the field
but they are very discreet kind of operatives so it is
very difficult to get direct evidence against China but
there are a number of circumstantial evidences which
indicate their involvement."
The chief
minister's view is seconded by Khagen Sharma, inspector
general of the Assam police intelligence wing. "In
Bangladesh, the ULFA is in the care of Pakistan's ISI.
In Myanmar, across Arunachal Pradesh, the ULFA is being
provided logistical support by the Khaplang faction of
the National Socialist Council of Nagaland," said
Sharma.
Bangladesh, however, has consistently
denied the presence of any such sanctuaries and training
camps. Indeed, senior Bangladeshi journalist Enayetullah
Khan claimed that India's external intelligence arm, the
Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW), has much deeper
penetration, network and wherewithal in Bangladesh to
"beat the ISI hollow as far as moles and operatives and
also clandestine training are concerned".
New Delhi has on several occasions furnished detailed
lists of rebel camps inside Bangladesh to authorities
there. The last such list of 195 camps was handed over
to visiting Bangladesh Rifles chief Major-General Jehangir
Alam Choudhuri by his Border Security Force counterpart
Ajai Raj Sharma in New Delhi last month. According to
this list, two militant groups of the Indian state of
Tripura alone are running training camps in the
Bangladeshi districts of Moulvi Bazar, Habibganj,
Comilla, Rangamati, Khagracherry, Chittagong and Cox's
Bazar. The list, however, merely invited a derisive
rejection from Dhaka. On checking the provided
coordinates, they said one training camp on the list
would have to be within a Bangladesh Rifles cantonment
and another at sea.
New Delhi has asked the
Intelligence Bureau (IB), India's domestic intelligence
agency, to confirm the recent move of ULFA to take up
the membership of the Jihad Council with "concrete
evidence". It has also asked the IB to carry out a
"special survey" of the entire northeastern region,
focusing on detailed information on insurgent groups,
their hierarchy, location of training camps and funding.
The security agencies had recently reported to the
Ministry of Home Affairs that the ULFA had accepted
membership of the MJC for logistics support.
ULFA is the biggest among scores of terrorist
organizations operating in the troubled northeast of
India that borders Bangladesh, China, Myanmar, Bhutan
and Nepal.
Though the Indian security
agencies have long known about ULFA's links with Pakistani
and Bangladeshi intelligence, and have been warning
the government for at least 18 months, they received word
of ULFA's jihadi links in September after certain
seizures made from the hideouts of a slain ULFA
militant. A grenade found from militant Lachit Rava, who
was killed in an encounter at Jerdoba in East Garo Hill
district in Meghalaya, India, on September 14, was
similar to those used by militants during the attack on
the Indian parliament in December 2002. The Pakistani army is
also known to use such explosives. The discovery that
northeastern militants are now using programmable
time-delay devices made in Pakistan is considered
particularly significant. The seizures made during
subsequent raids further proved the banned outfit's
close links with Pakistan-based jihadi groups.
Although the IB has already confirmed these
reports, a senior Home Ministry official told Asia Times
Online the government now wants the information to be
backed by evidence so that the matter can be taken up at
the diplomatic level. In view of similar reports about
other organizations, the government wants to deal with
the problem more comprehensively and has ordered the
preparation of a complete profile of about 108 banned
groups in the region.
Terrorist attacks in different
parts of India's northeast, including serial bomb
blasts and gun attacks in Assam and Nagaland, killed
more than 80 people and wounded 200 in a span of just 72
hours beginning on October 2, the day India remembers
the apostle of non-violence, the father of the nation,
Mahatma Gandhi.
The outlawed ULFA, fighting for
a "sovereign, socialist Assam" since its inception in
1979, and the NDFB, pushing an armed campaign for a
separate Bodo homeland since 1986, have claimed
responsibility for some of the attacks.
According to a Home Ministry official who has
dealt with the northeast for several years, the
government has been aware for quite some time of the
ULFA and other similar organization's links to ISI and
DGFI. The government analysts can even understand the
necessity of such links from the secessionists' point of
view; their need for arms and ammunition and other
logistical and even financial support: but reports of
their joining the Jihad Council has completely mystified
them.
The official told Asia Times Online: "The
ULFA's identification with the known Pakistani ambition
of creating a 'Swadhin Asom' [Independent Sovereign
Assam] that would be a full-fledged Muslim-majority
state through a demographic invasion and Bangladeshi
dreams of a Brihot [Greater] Bangladesh is now so
complete that it has even changed its original aim of
fighting and expelling Muslim infiltrators and illegal
immigrants from Bangladesh to giving them membership of
the organization."
No one seems to
understand what an Assamese movement of upper-caste Hindus, even
if militant or secessionist, some of whose leaders were
educated in reputed Indian educational institutions,
would gain by helping create a new and sovereign
Muslim state or a Greater Bangladesh.
The ULFA has
indeed changed not only its aims and objects formally
but also the very definition of the word "Asamiya"
(Assamese) in order to accommodate illegal
Muslim immigrants from Bangladesh. (Incidentally, the
influx of Hindu Bangladeshis was never a problem as they
were considered refugees fleeing discrimination and
persecution in Muslim-majority Bangladesh.)
In
the latest ULFA membership form the very first clause
seeks to accommodate all nationalities. It says that
while a member "must be a permanent resident of Assam,
volunteers from other countries will be recognized
conditionally". Similarly, the concept of Assamese is
redefined by stating that "the Asamiya are a people of
all communities, the mixture of people who are
determined to work for all-round progress of Assam".
Thus the concept of Assamese is no longer restricted, as
earlier, to those speaking the Assamese language as
their mother tongue. It obviously includes the
Bangla-speaking people as well. This is further
clarified a little later in a paragraph beginning with
the sentence: "The contribution of the people of East
Bengal [Bangladesh] origin in Assam towards increasing
the state's economic output is indeed noteworthy."
Contrasting this with the ULFA's original "aims
and objectives" will leave no one in doubt that it is
now completely under the sway of its Pakistani and
Bangladeshi masters. Its original manifesto justified
its founding in 1979 as a fight against the "influx of
foreigners and massive exploitation of its natural
resources".
Seeking to justify its armed
struggle, the ULFA manifesto says: "Especially in 1979,
democratic and unarmed peaceful movement against the
influx of foreigners and economic exploitation, the
occupation force of India killed 700 unarmed agitators
where the majority were teenage students. Though the
people of Assam and leadership of the struggle have a
strong stand for peaceful and amicable solution of the
conflict, India has always been trying to force a
military solution, thus the unarmed peaceful movement
against the influx and economic exploitation transformed
to an armed national liberation struggle."
It
was because of this strong orientation of the ULFA
against the influx of Muslim Bangladeshis that the
entire Assam students' movement of 1979 and early 1980s,
of which it was a product, was branded "Hindu
fundamentalist" despite its original secular track.
Interestingly, it now says: "We would like to state here
for everybody's information that the movement led by the
All Assam Students Union and Gana Sangram Parishad from
1979 to 1985 is viewed by the ULFA as one based on
emotion." It now denounces the Assam movement as "one
that was led by juveniles, who failed to understand that
migration per se was not bad and had helped many
countries like the USA to become what they are today".
Nothing could mark the abdication of ULFA's original
platform and history as completely as this one sentence.
The ULFA is thus no longer silent on the issue of
illegal Muslim immigrants, as it was during the late
1980s and early 1990s, and is now making its intentions
clear.
Having read these proclamations, it
becomes possible for government officials to believe,
though still not understand, reports that the ULFA is
actually running schools in Dhaka training poor
Bangladeshis to infiltrate Assam. The course they teach
includes imparting some familiarity with the spoken
Assamese language and a smattering of the written
language, at least for them to be able to read road
signs and names of shops, etc.
Another significant indication of the ISI's grip over ULFA
comes from the fact that unlike in the past, it is no
longer bothered about killing innocents. Regarding itself
a freedom movement it used to avoid killing as much
as possible for fear of backlash from the common
people. But it is clear from the August 15 blast in Dhemaji
- killing scores of schoolchildren - and the same message
underscored by subsequent blasts, that it no longer has
such scruples. This is very much in tune with ISI
strategy, as seen in Kashmir, of creating maximum chaos
and bleeding India through "a thousand cuts".
Meanwhile, New Delhi on Friday said it
is willing to join three-way talks with Assam
and separatist rebels to end violence in the state. The
NDFB agreed to talks this month.
Sultan
Shahin is a New Delhi-based writer.
(Copyright 2004 Asia Times Online Ltd. All
rights reserved. Please contact content@atimes.com for
information on our sales and syndication policies.)
|