Pakistan's
misplaced ire over US
misfire By Syed Saleem Shahzad
KARACHI - Pakistan's Foreign Ministry
summoned the US ambassador for an explanation and
Information Minister Sheikh Rashid said the act
was "highly condemnable".
But the fact is
that Pakistan knew in advance of the US raid in
Pakistan on Friday aimed at killing al-Qaeda's No
2, Dr Ayman al-Zawahiri, who was believed to be in
the area. Instead, 18 civilians
were
killed near the village of Damadola in the Bajur
tribal area on the Afghan border in a raid by a US
Predator drone.
Media reports claim that
Zawahiri only escaped death because he did not
keep a dinner date in the area that was targeted.
Yet intelligence contacts tell Asia Times Online
that the target was not specifically Zawahiri - it
could equally have been Taliban leader Mullah Omar
or Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, leader of the
Hizb-i-Islami Afghanistan and a key figure in the
Afghan resistance.
A Western intelligence
source told Asia Times Online that the US had
heard of a "big meeting" in Bajur of Taliban,
Pakistani and al-Qaeda leaders. "They flew three
Predator drones over the area for a few days and a
few hours before the strike, and that seems to be
what tipped Zawahiri off," the source said.
Whether or not Zawahiri missed dinner, the
US is becoming increasingly aggressive in its hunt
for a major scalp in the "war on terror", so much
so that it can now launch such attacks in
Pakistani territory.
Intelligence
cooperation Members of a joint
intelligence cell of Pakistani and US operators
based in Islamabad exchange notes on a daily
basis, usually at about 10pm. The parties simply
swap files by hand.
The cell then provides
a centralized daily monitoring report of activity
in the Pakistan-Afghanistan border areas. On the
Pakistani side, its intelligence agents report
from within Pakistan, while US operatives provide
information from the border provinces of
Afghanistan, with emphasis on al-Qaeda and the
Taliban.
The cell noted that for several
weeks prior to the raid in Bajur there had been an
upsurge in activity in Kunar province, especially
of suspected al-Qaeda members.
Previously,
a corridor had been traced that started in Kunar
and ended in Chitral province in Pakistan. It was
suspected that al-Qaeda and the Afghan resistance
used the route to travel between the two
countries.
This was confirmed when Libyan
Abu Faraj al-Libbi was arrested in Pakistan last
May. He was incorrectly touted as being No 3 in
al-Qaeda, although he had once been influential.
During interrogation, he spoke of the
corridor, and joint US-Pakistan raids were
conducted, to no avail. Bajur lies in this
corridor, and is connected to Kunar by a mountain
pass.
A recent dispatch from the US
intelligence side confirmed the movement of
Arab-Afghans toward Pakistan. Since the Chitral
area is fully manned by the Pakistani army, it was
assumed that the suspects went instead to Bajur
tribal area.
These were said possibly to
include "a high-profile Afghan personality" such
as Mullah Omar or Hekmatyar. The dispatch clearly
mentioned that if the suspects were spotted, they
would be targeted immediately.
So someone
clearly thought they had a target, but it was not
to be. Those killed in the drone raid included
locals and a few Punjabis (from central Pakistan).
The attack stirred up protests all over
the country, and even the government's most
important coalition partner in Sindh province and
in the federal government, the pro-American and
pro-India Muttahida Quami Movement, took to the
streets in Karachi, along with the six-party
religious alliance, the Muttahida Majlis-i-Amal
(MMA). The MMA even proclaimed that it would
gather the masses in an attempt to topple the
government.
It is most likely, therefore,
that the government issued its protests as a way
to defuse tension and save face, as it is almost
inconceivable that it did not know what was
happening. Given the strategic alliance between
the United States and Pakistan, the US would not
keep Islamabad completely in the dark in an
operation such as that in Bajur, where Pakistani
territory was violated.
"Even during the
Bill Clinton administration, when cruise missiles
only passed through Pakistani space to hit Osama
bin Laden in Kandahar and Khost [after the
al-Qaeda attacks on US embassies in Africa in
1998], Pakistan was informed well in advance,"
said a Pakistani official on condition of
anonymity.
"So it must have been the same
in this case in which the CIA [Central
Intelligence Agency] struck inside a
Pakistani-administered tribal area. However, from
the very beginning, targeting Ayman, Mullah Omar
or Gulbuddin in Bajur was more a myth than an
operation based on real hard facts," the official
added.
Syed Saleem Shahzad is
Bureau Chief, Pakistan Asia Times Online. He can
be reached at saleem_shahzad2002@yahoo.com.
(Copyright
2006 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved.
Please contact us for information on sales, syndication and republishing
.)