WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    South Asia
     Jul 12, 2006
Taliban in search of a winning formula
By Syed Saleem Shahzad

KARACHI - The Taliban's spring offensive in Afghanistan is now three months old. It is the biggest ever mounted against foreign forces in the country since the Taliban's ouster in 2001, and it has taken a heavy toll on insurgency as well as coalition forces.

And, according to one of the Taliban's top 10 commanders who spoke to Asia Times Online, the rising spiral of death is just the tip of the iceberg and the coalition's "Operation Mountain Thrust" in the southwest of the country will be severely challenged.

Mullah Gul Mohammed Jangvi (the last name means warrior) said by telephone from Afghanistan the Taliban would once again alter their tactics. Jangvi is one of the 10 members of the command council of the Taliban. (For an earlier interview with Jangvi, see



Taliban take the fight to the country, Asia Times Online, June 9.)

"We have had some initial successes, which boosted our morale. Tarood, Sangeen and Musa Qila districts in Helmand province are our recent victories," Jangvi said.

"We have set a few priorities, top-most of which is to fight only with foreign forces and avoid fighting Afghans. However, there are Afghans who are top of our [hit] list, like Gul Afghan Sherzai [governor of Nangarhar province], [President] Hamid Karzai and the members of parliament."

Jangvi dismissed a question that perhaps the Taliban were on the back foot as they were frequently changing tactics. "In the past few weeks we narrowed down our targets and we are aiming to hit those targets which give us optimum results.

"In the recent past we tried to attack Kandahar airport and US military bases. This is aimed at rooting out American air power in these stations so that they would not be able to shield their ground troops in a short span of time. In the coming days you will see more and more attacks on airfields, and once air cover vanishes from over the heads of coalition troops, they will be trapped everywhere like sitting ducks."

Despite Jangvi's optimism, though, the fact is that the Taliban have only inflicted about 100 casualties on coalition forces in the past three months, while the body count of Taliban and civilians in southwestern Afghanistan, most of them Taliban supporters, is estimated at more than 2,000.

And critically, in some areas the insurgency has degenerated into an unholy mess of internecine strife, so much so that even Karzai has decried the bloodshed and called on coalition forces to alter their tactics as "even the Taliban are sons of the soil".

As things stand, with the insurgency losing some of its focus as tribes fight each other, it only has a limited effect on the morale of the mighty American war machine and does not bode well for the chances of the campaign turning the Taliban into an emboldened force to make a comeback.

Hence the Taliban once again changed focus by concentrating solely on foreign forces, rather than engaging the Afghan National Army.

Jangvi explained his optimism: "The Taliban's command structure started off with 10 commanders, and now it is expanding. As soon as we get back into the villages, towns and cities, we will revive our old networks and our old command structures.

"At present I can only divulge that now we have commanders in all Afghan provinces from north to south. Last year we did not have that network. More successes bring more strength and in the coming days the Taliban command structure will reach up to all districts and village levels. And once we attain that it means that we will be returning to our old strength, that is, around 300,000 all across Afghanistan."

This number refers to those Taliban who were part of the regime's administration, police, army and other security apparatus during Taliban rule, and who after the Taliban retreat melted into Afghanistan's tribal population.

"Now use your imagination, once we negate American air power and regain our whole strength, why can't we seize control of Afghanistan?"

Nonetheless, losing Afghanistan is not an option for the Americans as even a limited victory of the Taliban up to southwestern Afghanistan would be a new base for an anti-US movement. This area would include the provinces of Urzgan, Zabul and Helmand, beside a few districts in Kandahar.

This would be a blow to the American war machine not only in Afghanistan but also in Iraq as the Taliban would be in a position to establish a supply line of manpower from Afghanistan and Pakistan to Iraq for the resistance there. Such a line could also be used to channel funds from Afghanistan's rampant opium industry to the Iraqi resistance.

This is the reason why coalition forces will keep up the pressure in the region, notably by increasing the number of troops on the ground - especially from Britain and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Jangvi is unperturbed, though. "More foreign troops means more of their casualties. This would be the time for the world Muslim community to understand that jihad in Afghanistan has reached a significant level and it is time again to help the resistance with manpower and money."

(Copyright 2006 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)

Syed Saleem Shahzad, Bureau Chief, Pakistan Asia Times Online. He can be reached at saleem_shahzad2002@yahoo.com


Afghanistan reels under bumper harvests (Jul 11, '06)

Inside the anti-US resistance (Jul 8, '06)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2006 Asia Times Online Ltd.
Head Office: Rm 202, Hau Fook Mansion, No. 8 Hau Fook St., Kowloon, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110