WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
              Click Here
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    South Asia
     Oct 12, 2006
Taliban viewed in a new light
By Jason Motlagh

KABUL - The same Taliban that banned television while in power in Afghanistan from 1996-2001 now have a presence on about 30% of more than 4,000 jihadist websites and radio stations, capitalizing on the vulnerability of poor Afghans fed up with a weak central government that has failed to deliver security and basic services.

Anti-government leaflets and pictures are in distribution in the south of the country. And the movement has the added advantage of being able to speak in the local Pashtun language while



manipulating the flow and content of information in areas composed of largely illiterate farmers prone to intimidation, according to security experts.

Videos of Iraqi beheadings are in circulation, an about-face from the old Taliban, which viewed such technologies to be against Islam. Last year, a man from Khost province appeared in the first-ever video testimony of an Afghan suicide bomber before he blew himself up at a Kabul military training center, killing 13 people.

Even elusive Taliban chief Mullah Omar is featured in one video recording, apparently surveying insurgent forces and inspecting mortar equipment at the front line of a battleground.

Taliban militants have also set up fake checkpoints on critical roadways such as the Kabul-Kandahar highway, killing Afghans they accuse of collaborating with the state or international forces.

The Center for Conflict and Peace Studies (CAPS) in Kabul, a think-tank that focuses on terrorism and security analysis, documented one instance in which clean-shaven Taliban disguised as police pulled over a bus and asked passengers if they worked for the local government. Those who stepped forward were executed.

Roving bands are known stop vehicles and confiscate mobile telephones, punishing people they determine to have Western or government contacts. According to CAPS, in some places "Taliban tokens" are issued to highway travelers to monitor human traffic and symbolize the movement's primacy in certain areas.

Once alien to Afghanistan, suicide terrorism is being used with greater frequency to target international forces, Afghan police and civilians. According to CAPS, 49 suicide attacks have been recorded so far this year. This amounts to more than the sum total of all such attacks recorded in Afghan history.

Most alarming, US military figures indicate that almost 85% of suicide casualties to date have been civilians, as insurgents try to plant fear in regions where they do not have the upper hand.

The suicide-bombing phenomenon began on September 9, 2001, when two Arab al-Qaeda operatives posing as journalists killed charismatic Northern Alliance commander Ahmad Shah Masoud, according to CAPS director Hekmat Karzai. A steady rise has been documented each year since as Taliban and other militants have regrouped in lawless areas inside the Pakistani border, where al-Qaeda-linked jihadis - some with Iraq experience - have promoted the efficacy of suicide and remote-controlled bombing along with Internet and video propaganda.

Joanna Nathan, a Kabul-based senior analyst with the International Crisis Group, told Asia Times Online that the Taliban had turned to suicide terrorism to cultivate fear in areas where they did not yet have a substantial presence. "At the very least, it shows they're learning from Iraq," she said.

To emphasize the grassroots nature of their insurgency, Taliban leaders claim that 250 of their would-be suicide bombers are Afghans. Government officials insist that non-Afghans are behind the majority of attacks conceived and committed.

Taliban insurgents have considerably improved on the Kalashnikov rifles and makeshift landmines of yesteryear. They now use more advanced weaponry, diversified communications, and increasingly lethal tactics to hold hostage vast swaths of southern Afghanistan.

North Atlantic Treaty Organization-led forces tasked with stabilizing the country have met stiff resistance from emboldened Taliban militants all year, facing off in pitched battles that military officials have called the fiercest fighting since the ultra-fundamentalist movement was toppled in a US-led offensive five years ago for harboring al-Qaeda operatives.

With their proximity to lawless tribal areas along the Afghan-Pakistani border, Kandahar and Helmand provinces remain Taliban strongholds NATO forces are struggling to tame. Recently a US military official said nine of 21 districts in Ghazni province, about 160 kilometers south of Kabul, had "significant Taliban influence".

A damning new report by the Senlis Council, an international policy think-tank that follows Afghanistan closely, says the Taliban have de facto control over the southern half of the country and continue to gain ground. The report blames failed counter-narcotics and military policies for boosting Taliban influence among impoverished farmers without an alternative means of survival.

Military operations have cost US$82.5 billion since 2002, the report notes, compared with a mere $7.3 billion spent on development and reconstruction. This translates to a 900% disparity.

But NATO and Afghan officials insist the Taliban's willingness to kill civilians indiscriminately will ultimately backfire and erode any semblance of a rural support base.

An International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) spokesman told Asia Times Online that despite more sophisticated and aggressive Taliban fighting tactics, the modus operandi that "so long as they kill an international soldier every now and then it's okay to take out Afghans will just not sit well with [Islamic] clerics and the better part of the population".

Indeed, a comprehensive study of 91 insurgencies after World War II conducted by Seth Jones, a counterinsurgency analyst at the Rand Corporation think-tank, showed that groups that committed mass civilian killings were the most likely to fail.

This does not absolve international forces of the need to meet the resurgent Taliban head-on with vigilant counterinsurgency operations and fast-track development aid for the foreseeable future, according to the ISAF spokesman. "Never underestimate your enemy, and your enemy always gets a vote," he said.

Jason Motlagh is deputy foreign editor at United Press International in Washington, DC. He has reported freelance from Saharan Africa, Asia and the Caribbean for various US and European news media.

(Copyright 2006 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing .)


Taliban put Pakistan on notice (Oct 7, '06)

Taliban lay plans for Islamic intifada (Oct 6, '06)

Pakistan reaches into Afghanistan (Oct 3, '06)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2006 Asia Times Online Ltd.
Head Office: Rm 202, Hau Fook Mansion, No. 8 Hau Fook St., Kowloon, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110