WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    South Asia
     Jul 17, 2007
Delhi anxious over Islamabad's troubles
By Sudha Ramachandran

BANGALORE - Pakistan's Operation Silence at the Lal Masjid (Red Mosque) in Islamabad last week has revived memories in India of a similar operation named Operation Bluestar that India carried out in the Golden Temple in Amritsar more than two decades ago. But the Lal Masjid operation has stirred more than just memories: it has stirred New Delhi's interest.

The man that the government of President General Pervez Musharraf called on to engage in talks with the Lal Masjid clerics



ahead of Operation Silence was Maulana Fazlur Rehman Khalil, who figures in the list of India's most wanted terrorists. This is a list that India has repeatedly forwarded to Islamabad, asking for the men's extradition to India, only to be told by Pakistan that it has no information of their whereabouts.

Khalil, the head of the outlawed Harkat-ul Mujahideen, has close ties with the Taliban and al-Qaeda and is one of the signatories of Osama bin Laden's 1998 fatwa calling on Muslims worldwide to "wage jihad against Jews and the Crusaders". A close aide of the Lal Masjid's second-top cleric, Abdul Rashid Ghazi, who was killed in the military operation on the mosque, Khalil was seen arriving at the mosque in the same car as the head of the government's negotiating team, former prime minister Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain.

Khalil has been put under protective custody since the operation on the Lal Masjid. India, which has refrained from issuing an official statement in response to the operation, has not raised the Khalil issue yet, at least through the media. An official told Asia Times Online that India is looking into the matter and will raise it "through the appropriate channels".

Indians have been watching developments in Islamabad with a sense of deja vu. Twenty-two years ago, the Indian Army stormed the Golden Temple in Amritsar - Sikhism's most revered shrine - to flush out Sikh militants holed up there. In Pakistan, the fortification of the Lal Masjid happened under the nose of the Musharraf government and with the encouragement of sections in the Inter-Services Intelligence. So too in India the fortification of the Golden Temple by militants happened even as the government looked on silently. And then in June 1984, prime minister Indira Gandhi ordered the army to rid the temple of the militants.

Operation Bluestar resulted in the death of scores of militants, including their leader Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, and caused extensive damage to the shrine. It deepened Sikh alienation from the Indian state, provoked the assassination of prime minister Gandhi four months later, and fueled the Sikh secessionist movement for another decade at least.

Will the fallout of Operation Silence be similar to that of Operation Bluestar? Far worse, seems to be the verdict of informed opinion in India.

An Indian intelligence official said that while Operation Bluestar's impact was limited to within India's borders, that of Operation Silence will be far more serious. It will impact "not just Musharraf and Pakistan but also the neighborhood and beyond", he said.

The confrontation between the Musharraf government and the radicals will increase, he said, as Operation Silence has stirred up a hornets' nest. "There is likely to be much movement of militants within Pakistan and between Pakistan and its neighbors," said the intelligence official.

This will mean that India and Afghanistan will have more militants entering their territory. Infiltration through the Line of Control (LoC) in Kashmir has been pretty low over the past year. But Indian security forces are not taking any chances. With the security situation in Pakistan deteriorating, security along the LoC has been tightened.

Indian analysts are of the view that the Musharraf government took the right step - albeit long overdue - in launching the military operation.

"Given the situation in Pakistan, an army operation to clear the mosque was necessary," said Smruti Pattanaik, research fellow at the New Delhi-based Institute for Defense Studies and Analyses. The military operations have resulted in the death of many, but "had the militants been allowed to roam free, they would have posed a greater threat to Pakistan both in terms of security and human lives", she told Asia Times Online.

Unlike their counterparts in Pakistan, Muslim religious organizations in India have supported the move.

"The Lal Masjid had become a center of militant activities. The mosque's clerics were directly challenging the country's authority and they had to face what they faced," Jamiat-Ulema Hind spokesman Abdul Hammed Nomani said. But the "military could have continued to surround the mosque for a longer period, which would have compelled the militants holed up to surrender", he said.

According to the intelligence official, the decision to storm the mosque "had more to it than meets the eye". Ghazi had reached agreement with the government to lay down arms. Yet the government opted for military operations.

"He and his aides had to be silenced," the official said. "Obviously, the Musharraf government feared that they would spill the beans to the media and the world regarding the real relationship between the mullahs and the military."

Few in India are impressed with Musharraf's speech after Operation Silence where he promised to eliminate extremism and militancy from "every corner" of Pakistan. Officials and analysts say he is unlikely to carry it forward. The crackdown on the radicals in the Lal Masjid was "a limited operation", Pattanaik said, adding that it was carried out not because Musharraf believed that this was necessary but under pressure from the Chinese.

Intelligence officials warn that Operation Silence will ignite Islamic radicals across Pakistan and that this will deepen the serious problems Musharraf is already facing. Over the past year or so, India has been in a dilemma over the dialogue it has been engaging in with Pakistan. With the political scenario in Pakistan turning murkier by the day and Musharraf's position at its shakiest since he came to power in 1999, whether India should continue to deal with the general is a question that is being discussed here.

Pakistan's opposition parties have been calling on India to refrain from negotiating with Musharraf. Last year, former premier Benazir Bhutto said in a speech at a conclave in Delhi that any deal with the military government would not be acceptable to a democratically elected government in Pakistan. Other Pakistani opposition leaders too have echoed this view.

In India, the main opposition party, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), has called for a suspension of the dialogue process until normalcy returns in Pakistan. Some analysts have said that should Musharraf fall, there is no assurance that his successor will accept deals his regime made with India.

But Pattanaik said the India-Pakistan dialogue process today is "much more institutionalized. It has nothing to do with political regimes. In India, a Congress-led government is carrying forward the dialogue started during the period when a BJP-led government was at the helm."

And in Pakistan, "the military has an institutional approach to India-Pakistan relations. Musharraf cannot change the course if he doesn't have the support of the army. There may be differences of opinion within the army, but the Pakistan Army has acted as an organized force and has an institutional approach to the talks rather than individual approach. The talks must continue," she argued.

The bilateral dialogue has slowed noticeably over the past year. As Musharraf focuses his attention on protecting his position and India on waiting for the air to clear, the process, while unlikely to be suspended, could lose more momentum.

Sudha Ramachandran is an independent journalist/researcher based in Bangalore.

(Copyright 2007 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)   


Musharraf only over the first hurdle (Jul 13, '07)

Pakistan heading for a crackdown (Jul 13, '07)

Pakistan's post-mortem (Jul 12, '07)


1. Ready, aim, fire and rain

2. The robbery of the century

3. A new front opens in Pakistan 

4. War games, mind games or the real deal?    

5. India pushes people power in Africa

6. Planet Pentagon: The Earth, seas and skies

7. US hysteria hikes China trade tensions

8. Pakistan heading for a crackdown


9. The Chinese dollar hoard thunders forward


(July 13 - 15, 2007)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2007 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110