WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    South Asia
     Jan 4, 2008
Quiet on one Pakistani front
By Syed Saleem Shahzad

KARACHI - The decision by President Pervez Musharraf to allow Scotland Yard investigators from London to help in the probe into the assassination of Benazir Bhutto last week offers Musharraf a chance to save face in the growing crisis over the former premier's death.

The participation of one of the world's most famous police squads will go some way to at least help calm the political situation, with




Musharraf announcing on Wednesday that general elections scheduled for January 8 will now take place on February 18.

Bhutto's Pakistan People's Party (PPP) and other opposition parties, including former prime minister's Nawaz Sharif's Pakistan Muslim League, had wanted the election to take place as planned, but they have indicated they will contest on the new date.

Investigations into Bhutto's death will focus on whether she was shot by an assassin. The government claims she fatally hit her head on a lever in the sun roof of the car in which she was traveling in Rawalpindi when a suicide bomb went off nearby. Her family and the PPP insist that she was shot twice.

On Wednesday, in a dramatic move, Musharraf, whose government earlier rejected any option of international investigations, announced in a televised speech to the nation that Bhutto's murder would be investigated by Scotland Yard. Pakistan requested the assistance from British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

"There is a need for experts to gather all the evidence, assess it and then draw their conclusions. The Scotland Yard team will soon come and investigate the matter," Musharraf said. In response, the PPP's new leader, Asif Zardari, Bhutto's husband, commented: "How can they consider Scotland Yard now? They did not agree on a Scotland Yard investigation when Mrs Bhutto demanded one after the October 18 bomb blast in Karachi," said Zardari in reference to a failed attempt on Benazir's life on her return to the country after years in exile.

"Now we demand an inquiry into what is happening in the region and who is instigating the violence," Zardari said. "Nobody should blame the workers for the violence. When big trees fall, the earth trembles," he added in reference to widespread violence that has claimed the lives of more than 60 people since Bhutto's death.

All the same, he said that the bottom line was a policy of contesting the elections rather than agitation. The PPP's central executive committee announced on Wednesday that February 7 will be the final mourning day for Bhutto and confirmed the party will contest the polls, but under protest. However, Zardari warned that if any vote rigging was detected, they would have no option but agitation. Musharraf blamed the law and order situation in the country for the delay in the polls and also announced the deployment of the Pakistani army and the paramilitary Rangers during the elections. "I don't want to make the army controversial, but the situation demands its deployment," Musharraf told the nation. Veteran Pakistani analyst Mujeebur Rahman Shami commented to Asia Times Online, "The major stumbling block in the whole crisis is over. Now that the Pakistan People's Party has decided to take part in the polls, the dust will settle and after that even the Pakistan Muslim League will follow suit and contest the elections."

Columnist and former speech writer to Sharif, Nazeer Naji, also told Asia Times Online, "The government did not have any option except to delay the polls. If the elections had been held on January 8, they would have had to be postponed in 45 constituencies." Rioters destroyed many election officers in the unrest over Bhutto's death.

However, while the political situation might be approaching some form of normalcy, the country's real fault line is in the tribal areas of South Waziristan and North Waziristan on the border with Afghanistan, where a new war is building.

The attack on December 28 in North Waziristan by a US Predator drone on al-Qaeda ideologue Sheikh Essa, who advocates all-out war on the Pakistani army and state, was a war drum. Immediately after, men of the chief commander of the Taliban in South Waziristan, Baitullah Mehsud, carried out big attacks on the positions of the Pakistani security forces. The latter have sustained several casualties and many have been abducted. According to Asia Times Online contacts, a special services group has been assigned the target of killing Baitullah Mehsud at all costs. "This is a war on the Islamic Emirates [the self-proclaimed name given to the Waziristans by al-Qaeda and the Pakistani Taliban] and we have the full right of our defense," said a contact from North Waziristan.

Syed Saleem Shahzad is Asia Times Online's Pakistan Bureau Chief. He can be reached at saleem_shahzad2002@yahoo.com

(Copyright 2008 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about
sales, syndication and republishing
.)


Bhutto's death a blow to 'war on terror'
(Jan 3, '08) 

A legacy to be reckoned with 
(Jan 3, '08)

Al-Qaeda aims at Pakistan's heart 
(Jan 1, '08)


1. Russia, Iran tighten the energy noose.

2. Al-Qaeda claims Bhutto killing

3. Annus financialitis

4. How's al-Qaeda doing? You decide

5. For Sino-US ties, tentative progress

6. In China, tension and triumph

(Dec 21, 07-Jan 1, 08)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2008 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110