WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    South Asia
     Feb 23, 2010
Anger spreads on Marjah's front line
By Aziz Ahmad Tassal and Mohammad Elyas Dayee

HELMAND - People in Marjah district in Helmand province, where a Western and Afghan military operation aims to oust the Taliban, say several civilians have been killed in addition to the 12 acknowledged by the International Security Assistance Force, ISAF. They also say the fighting has caused hunger because people cannot leave their homes to fetch food.

Helmand provincial governor Mohammad Gulab Mangal visited the area on the fifth day of the operation to see for himself. "People asked me to provide them with food ... as the operation goes forward, many mines have been planted, so it takes time to clear them. However, we are working on a plan to send food to the 

 
people quickly," he told journalists. The people of Marjah would soon be able to go about their regular business, he said.

At least 13 NATO troops, one Afghan soldier, 12 civilians and about 120 insurgents have been killed during the fighting, according to news reports including by the Associated Press and Voice of America.

General David Petraeus, the top US commander in the Middle East and Central Asia, said at the weekend that US losses in Afghanistan would be "tough" and that while Taliban forces were "a bit disjointed", they were "formidable". "There's still fighting going on, without question," he said.

Shortly after "Operation Moshtarak" ("Together") began in Helmand province on February 13, Defense Minister General Abdul Rahim Wardak, Interior Minister Hanif Atmar Minister and General Stanley McChrystal, the commander of Internatinoal Security Assitance Force (ISAF) and North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) forces in Afghanistan, hailed the operation as a success. The offensive involves around 15,000 Afghan and NATO troops. McChrystal said the foreign forces were acting in support of Afghan forces at the front line.

Many in Marjah fled as the coalition forces tried to oust the insurgents, but large numbers also stayed.

Wardak said the operation was likely to last about a month. "We will not be able to eliminate all the problems in a short time. However, we promise the people of Marjah that we will pave the way for them to live a better life," he told reporters. He called on the Taliban to lay down their weapons and join a peace process.

Atmar accused the Taliban of using the population as human shields, "The opposition have used the people as a shield and there have been some civilian casualties. A complete brigade of police will go to Marjah soon in order to ensure security and help tribal elders prepare for better governance."

Although the government says it has tried to avoid civilian casualties, people in the area were angry at the conduct of the operation and gave details of incidents in which at least four were killed.

One man, Harun, who spoke to the Institute for War and Peace Reporting (IWPR) in a hospital in Lashkar Gah, the provincial capital, said two of his brothers had been wounded in the fighting and one of their wives had been killed by a shell from a coalition tank. He had brought the men for treatment.

He said the incident began when the Taliban opened fire at the Western forces from a location 100 meters from their house, and his brothers were shot at and wounded as they ran from the house because they were afraid it would be shelled.

"My wounded brother Fazel Omar got married six months ago. When he was wounded, his wife came out of the house and ran towards her husband, but [they] shot at her from their tank and [killed] her," he said.

He added angrily, "That moment was very difficult for me because I could not go out of the house; I could not take my wounded brothers to the hospital and could not bring my dead sister-in-law's body home."

In a second incident in Qari Sada village, a rocket reportedly fired by coalition forces hit a house. Relatives traveled to Bost Hospital in Lashkar Gah to accompany the bodies of two young women.

Most were too grief-stricken to speak to the media but Gula Jan told IWPR, "My two little sisters were martyred by the foreigners' rocket, and I will not reconcile with the infidels until I can avenge my sisters."

There were reports of a fourth civilian fatality in Karwa Square. A driver there was said to have been killed by fire from foreign forces when he left his home to buy food.

Ahmad, his son said, "The body of my father was left inside our home for two days because the foreigners did not let us out to bury the body in the cemetery. We were scared of being killed. They are cruel and the infidels have no sympathy for us."

Asked about these four deaths, an ISAF spokesman in Afghanistan said, "We have no information that verifies these incidents."

The ISAF has reported that 12 civilians were killed in Marjah when a rocket hit a house. It was initially said to have been a system error. However, officials in Afghanistan have been quoted as saying the system functioned correctly but the house that was destroyed had been used by the Taliban to launch attacks.

Local people are fearful that more of them will be caught up in the fighting. One resident of Marjah district, Zaher Jan, said on the phone, "They governor announces on the radio that bombardments will not take place, but [they are] going on as we speak. If these bombardments are not stopped, there will be many civilian casualties."

Taliban spokesman Qari Yosuf Ahmadi said insurgents were resisting the Afghan and foreign forces and that more than 2,000 had gone to Marjah for the purpose.

A regional commander of the Taliban in Marjah district, Mullah Osman, said, "We have planted mines everywhere in the area. We have warned the people not to come out of their houses. If they have any urgent matters, they should tell us about it. Our goal is jihad and the fight against the infidels."

He denied the insurgents were using civilians for their own protection. "We do not use civilians as a shield like the government and foreign forces. The people's life and protection of their honor is our task," he said.

Afghan General Sher Mohammad Zazai, commander of the 205 Atal Army Corps in Kandahar, confirmed that the area had been heavily planted with mines. "There is no resistance from the Taliban. There is only one problem, which is the problem of mines. For this reason, the operation may take longer," he said.

Another Marjah resident, Dr Ahmad Ahmadi, told IWPR on the phone, "There are thousands of mines hidden here. It is impossible for ordinary life to return to Marjah unless these mines are cleared. The Taliban have planted 35 mines 200 meters from my house alone."

Aziz Ahmad Tassal and Mohammad Elyas Dayee are IWPR-trained reporters in Helmand.

(This article originally appeared in Institute for War and Peace Reporting. Used with permission.)

Two cities and the Afghan insurgency
Feb 18, '10

The meaning of Marjah
Feb 17, '10

The winner takes all in Afghanistan
Feb 12, '10


 

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2010 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110