WRITE for ATol ADVERTISE MEDIA KIT GET ATol BY EMAIL ABOUT ATol CONTACT US
Asia Time Online - Daily News
             
Asia Times Chinese
AT Chinese



    South Asia
     Dec 16, 2010


Dhaka blaze adds to garment sector toll
By Syed Tashfin Chowdhury

DHAKA - The deaths of at least 29 people, with up to 200 more injured, in a garment factory blaze in Dhaka late on Tuesday has rattled an uneasy government-sponsored truce agreed hours earlier between garment workers and employers after at least four people died in riots over a new pay structure for the country's biggest export business.

Many workers jumped to their deaths trying to escape the blaze, which broke out in a storage area near the top of the 11-storey building near Dhaka, from which the Ha-Meem group supplies leading US outfitters such as Gap and Abercrombie.

Abdul Kader, who managed to escape the fire, told Asia Times Online he saw 50 to 60 people jump off the 10th floor to escape the blaze "as the emergency exits were closed". Factory workers Mohammad Atiq and Al Shamim made similar claims.

The factory's production manager, Humayun Kabir, rejected claims that

 

emergency exits were locked. "Maybe the workers could not find their way to the emergency exits as they have claimed that the tenth and 11th floors were already dark with smoke," he said.

The blaze broke out days after violent protests in Dhaka, Chittagong and elsewhere in Bangladesh over implementation of a new wage structure in the ready-made garments (RMG) industry. The government responded to these by establishing a committee, comprising government representatives, garments factory owners and workers, and headed by Aminul Islam, the Chief Inspector of Factories (CIF).

The government responded in similar manner to Tuesday's blaze. Home Affairs Minister Sahara Khatun said a five-member committee has been formed by the home ministry to investigate the incident and submit a report within a week. A separate committee formed by the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) is to carry out its own investigation.

So far, the cause of the fire appears to be unrelated to the workers' unrest. It is initially being reported to have been started by an electric short circuit, Brig-Gen Abu Nayeem Mohammad Shahidullah, director general of the Fire Service and Civil Defence, told Asia Times Online. He added that a detailed investigation would be able to tell more about how it happened.

The blaze adds to an already grim death toll involving the garment industry; 414 garment workers lost their lives in at least 213 factory fires between 2006 and 2009, according to the government's Fire Service and Civil Defence Department.

The ready-made garment sector is the top foreign currency earner for Bangladesh, earning US$12.7 billion, or about 14% of the country's total gross domestic product, in the fiscal year 2008-09, according to the Export Promotion Bureau of Bangladesh.

Although most RMG workers, most of whom are not unionized, returned to work on Tuesday, labor leaders said they feared the decision to establish a committee may result in yet another broken promise and fuel future riots in Dhaka and Chittagong.

"The move was taken to review the minimum wage. However, the workers face many problems which they cannot speak out about," Syed Sultan Uddin Ahmed, assistant executive director of the Bangladesh Institute of Labour Studies (BILS), told Asia Times Online. The resulting unrest "causes immense loss to the country eventually".

He said that establishing a fully functional workers union in all factories could be a way forward. "The associations in place currently are mostly working for the factory owners and those who are actually trying to help the workers' cause are being persecuted," he said.

An instance of such persecution was found by Asia Times Online while trying to contact Moshrefa Mishu, president of the Garments Workers Unity Forum, on her cell phone. Mishu's younger sister informed that her home in Dhaka was raided by around 10 to 12 policemen around midnight on December 14.

"They arrested Mishu - but they did not have any arrest warrant or any explanation for arresting her," said Jebunnesa Jebu, Mishu's sister.

Razekuzzaman Ratan, general secretary of Samajtantrik Sramik Front (Socialist Labor Front) told Asia Times Online that the recent unrest was a "cumulative effect".

"The new minimum wage structure has created some controversies," with different grades of workers being awarded different percentage increases, closing salary gaps.

As for the government's proposed committee, "past experience has taught us that such government decisions are only taken to pacify workers for the time being. The workers may again agitate if the decision is not properly executed," said Ratan.

In late July this year, violent unrest broke out against the new wage structure. A report published at the time by Britain's Guardian newspaper said the garments industry accounted for about 40% of the total industrial workforce in Bangladesh.

"Major high street retailers including Wal-Mart, Tesco, H&M, Zara, Carrefour, Gap, Metro, JCPenney, Marks & Spencer, Kohl's and Levi Strauss all import clothes in bulk from Bangladesh, which has some of the lowest labour costs in the world," said the article.

The protests broke out on December 11 and 12, leaving more than 150 wounded as well as the four killed, and employers calculating lost earnings. South Korea's YoungOne Corp was among those worse affected, claiming it lost about US$14.2 million due to the protests.

The riots came after a demonstration on the evening of December 11 at the Chittagong Export Processing Zone (CEPZ) by YoungOne workers reacting against the newly implemented minimum wage structure. YoungOne general manager M F Rabbi called the protests "a coordinated attack" that included vandalization of equipment and attacks on company officials.

After YoungOne closed its gates at the CEPZ on December 12, other workers took to the streets and 160 factories closed down in the zone. About 150,000 workers are employed in the CEPZ.

Prothom Alo, the leading Bangla daily, reported that the police used around 550 rounds of rubber bullets and 95 tear gas shells in an attempt to control the protests. The daily also claimed that 20 garment factories, 25 vehicles, two banks and several shops on the roads across from the CEPZ were vandalized.

Syed Tashfin Chowdhury is a senior staff writer at New Age in Dhaka.

(Copyright 2010 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)


Bangladesh opposition claims strike success
(Dec 2, '10)


1.
Naked emperor hails sex by surprise

2. When North Korea’s threats become reality

3. Moscow moves to counter NATO

4. Iran plays doves and hawks too

5. Pakistan links up with Kashgar

6. Holbrooke knew the way forward

7. Nobel no-shows reveal China’s clout

8. India reacts to American touch

9. Tentative democrat, reluctant autocrat

10. Giant of US diplomacy dies

(24 hours to 11:59pm ET, Dec 14, 2010)

 
 



All material on this website is copyright and may not be republished in any form without written permission.
© Copyright 1999 - 2010 Asia Times Online (Holdings), Ltd.
Head Office: Unit B, 16/F, Li Dong Building, No. 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong
Thailand Bureau: 11/13 Petchkasem Road, Hua Hin, Prachuab Kirikhan, Thailand 77110